Menu

Ok, feeling dumb here, but what is 'New Math'?

wy_kid_wrangler04

New Math refers to a number of math programs and initiatives that happened in the 1960s, things such as the School Mathematics Study Group and the Comprehensive School Mathematics Program.

Although widely lampooned in popular opinion the best New Math materials were (and are) highly interesting approaches for teaching math conceptually to young people.

Many of these programs, which were developed by top-flight mathematicians, did not work so well in practice when put in the hands of teachers with liberal-arts degrees (rather than mathematicians) and generally the "New Math" materials actually used in schools were not SMSG or CSMP materials themselves, but watered-down products of textbook publishers who wanted in on the "trend" but then muffed the job.

The CSMP and SMSG materials are archived on the web and one can take a look oneself. In the right hands these programs contain many exciting and creative elements, along with a few things (like working in alternative bases to base-10) that were probably not practical for your "average" student, but might interest a budding mathematician.

Some people confuse New Math from the 1960s with what is sometimes called Reform Math (or more derisively "Fuzzy Math") from the 1990s to present.

Bill

So, because I am curious, is this the same as integrated math? My dd's program is integrated math, and although much more based in real life application, often jumps around a lot.

No, "based in real life application" sounds like "fuzzy math", or "new new math".

However, "integrated" usually refers to high-school-level programs that mix together algebra, geometry, etc. rather than having those as discreet year-long courses. Integrated programs may or may not be fuzzy.

And, for a light take on it, check out Tom Lehrer's "

." I guess this is part of the popular lampooning mentioned above, but he's not really mocking it any more than he does the "old math" at the beginning of the piece.

(Yes, this is the "old" New Math. And Lehrer's specifically pinpointing the "different bases" part of it. Was that ever actually taught all the way to elementary students?)

This was originally a double-post, and this was the same as below.

To make myself feel like less of an idiot, if you enjoyed "New Math" above,

's a poke at the British monetary system to the same "tune" that appeared on the Frost Report. (Yes, it's still Tom Lehrer doing it.) Edited by morosophe

Math-U-See and Teaching Textbooks, and check the abbreviation page (or the abbreviation sticky at the top of the forum, although that's usually updated on the page pretty quickly) when you have questions about an abbreviation.

Oops, and that was in response to this:

So, what are MUS and TT?

Great, now I've managed to double-post. Sorry!

No, "based in real life application" sounds like "fuzzy math", or "new new math".

However, "integrated" usually refers to high-school-level programs that mix together algebra, geometry, etc. rather than having those as discreet year-long courses. Integrated programs may or may not be fuzzy.

Well fuzzy is appropriate because it feels that way - unclear.

I guess I am a back to basics person.

I have too, but it conflates things that are pretty different and distinct from one another. So it's sloppy usage.

Bill

IDK, I think there are enough similarities for the label to be reasonable. Both New Math and reform math put the focus on understanding over procedures, and they use a lot of the same pedagogical methods to accomplish similar things. The main difference is that New Math was school math by mathematicians with little input from educators, and reform math is school math by educators with little input from mathematicians. But they are both on the same side of the pendulum swing, both trying to solve the same problem - they do so in different ways, but conceptually ;), they are close cousins.

I have wondered about the "new math" too.

When my daughter started algebra (3 years ago), she was amazed that when she struggled with a problem that I could sit down and solve the problem but never with the same method that Teaching Textbook used.

I couldn't explain why I knew to do that other than that is what I was taught in the early 80s. :confused: