Menu

Ready to throw in the towel!

I swear this year has been a disaster! I have brought my other DS home from ps because he too like is older brother has dyslexia(more spelling and writing than reading) and it has been crazy. I had no idea it would be this difficult to hs both of them. If I could photocopy myself I would. Today for example, they both are working on seperate subjects, one needs help while I am helping the other, back and forth they interupt then I have to get everyone back on task (ok we know that intrupting is not allowed). My ds13 has an attitude about doing anything that has to do with school, the other one is mad because he has to read his book by himself, while I helped the other earlier in the day with his book (the book is just above his reading level but he is doing well). The youngest gets mad and says "I'm doing ds13 work for him", I tried to explain, didn't get anywhere. In the mean time the ds13 gets his I-pod and downloads a song, then comes into the room like its ok-they start singing-can't get anyone back on task. Err. I am sick of worrying about them, I am sick of them not staying on task, I a sick of curriculum that doesn't fit, I am sick of learning dysablities, I am sick of kids that don't want to learn anything, I am sick of trying to make learning fun 'cause no one wants to learn, I am sick of shoddy work, I am sick of it ALL. I have tried rewards and punishments, they are out of control. All this and we have only been back a week from a much needed vacation. It was nice to just be a mom for a change! Ok, don't feel better but time to get started again.:glare:

:grouphug:

It's so hard. Some days/weeks, the only thing that keeps me from sending them to ps is the knowledge that their needs almost certainly won't be met; the trade-offs are just too high. (Husband is a ps teacher, so we have inside information, so to speak.) Too bad we don't have any local charter schools geared to Aspies or I'd really consider that, even if it meant we wouldn't have much of a retirement.

You will make it, despite seeming evidence to the contrary! Make sure you get some time to yourself, if at all possible, to let some of the stress out. The kids won't appreciate you, they won't appreciate your sacrifices (unless you get really lucky later on), but they NEED YOU, like they need noone else.

And, yeah, that fact alone can make me feel like breaking down...:glare:

I swear this year has been a disaster! I have brought my other DS home from ps because he too like is older brother has dyslexia(more spelling and writing than reading) and it has been crazy. I had no idea it would be this difficult to hs both of them. If I could photocopy myself I would. Today for example, they both are working on seperate subjects, one needs help while I am helping the other, back and forth they interupt then I have to get everyone back on task (ok we know that intrupting is not allowed). My ds13 has an attitude about doing anything that has to do with school, the other one is mad because he has to read his book by himself, while I helped the other earlier in the day with his book (the book is just above his reading level but he is doing well). The youngest gets mad and says "I'm doing ds13 work for him", I tried to explain, didn't get anywhere. In the mean time the ds13 gets his I-pod and downloads a song, then comes into the room like its ok-they start singing-can't get anyone back on task. Err. I am sick of worrying about them, I am sick of them not staying on task, I a sick of curriculum that doesn't fit, I am sick of learning dysablities, I am sick of kids that don't want to learn anything, I am sick of trying to make learning fun 'cause no one wants to learn, I am sick of shoddy work, I am sick of it ALL. I have tried rewards and punishments, they are out of control. All this and we have only been back a week from a much needed vacation. It was nice to just be a mom for a change! Ok, don't feel better but time to get started again.:glare:

I pretty much work with all my kids separately (ie. one at a time). I do this to avoid the getting interrupted, and having to help two people at the same time problem. I actually think it takes us less time during the day....because when I am working with one at a time there are less distractions. It also really depends on what curriculum you are using. I completely agree that disabilities and curriculum not fitting are frustrating.

Thanks everyone! Today is a new day.:001_smile: I have tried teaching each grade at different time but it doesn't work b/c on dc will finish before the other and then there is a melt down. I do list their work for them so they can see what they have to do next (only they don't want to try anything without me.) If there is one more subject than the other dc had there is a total melt down and if one finishes before the other the same thing happens. Sorry but dc13 has more requirements than the other. Ok, I know I may get flamed for this but after trying just about everything under the son for the oldest I have returned to Verticy from Calvert. So with that I bought the Calvert grade 5 for the other. Yep textbooks. Ugh I am on the verge of throwing it all in a box and sending it back. I would spend hours trying to write lesson plans and I figured this is at least a little laid out for me (Lord know everything I use needs to be adjusted and tuned). The only this that is going ok is the Science. I have bought so much curriculum and either have it sitting on my shelf or have had to send it back I think my dh is going to ring my neck if the UPS man shows up again.

Ok, so at this point I am trying to stagger the subjects, I do use CLE math for both and CLE english for the youngest, however this week the youngest ds took a quiz and failed it. I looked back at the light unit only to see that he has been having difficulty with a concept and never asked for help, he only changed the answer, when asked about this he said he didn't want to "bug" me b/c I was helping the other ds:confused:. Before I went with Calvert I tried combining subjects and they were always waiting for the other to finish. Anyone have any ideas?

Can they sit at their spot and wait until you are available? That is what my kids do. They have a computer and other things they can do once they finish, and I become available again. Alternatively, I give them a "break" where they can do roam in our outside. They must stop whatever they are doing when I am available to help with school/ teach a lesson.

They also know that they can skip problems until I can come help them.

As far as one finishing before the other, that's the way it goes. In our house, we have a rule though that no TV or video games until school work is done....for everyone.

We also have a serious reward system for our homeschool day. I am not going to go into it because I know some would :svengo: or :willy_nilly:. However, I will say it has been highly successful for behavior modification to help us reach a point of "no freak outs", complicity, and generally efficient and high quality homeschooling.

As far as Verticy/ Calvert. Why feel badly? If it has worked for you be happy. Frankly, our 2 years using it were honestly very successful years. It also helped us of getting us on grade level track, set a schedule and increase the expectations for output. I really appreciated that last component. We are currently reaping the rewards this year as ds (7th grade) is taking two high school level credit courses.

At my house this is when I bring out the hot cocoa.

1. Gives them something to do while they wait for me to be done with another sibling.

2. Brings back some of the fun into our homeschool day. They love it.

3. Reminds me to smile and be a happy mom.

Waiting in queues is a skill. No one likes it, but you gotta. If it were PS they'd be waiting a whole lot longer for personal tutoring.

:grouphug: You're doing better than you give your self credit. :grouphug: