Menu

Cotillion Ball for DD12 -- Formal means..........

what fun!!! I'd also ask someone who went last year how most of the girls dressed. Have fun shopping!

Oh - and don't forget to look on Etsy for dresses. I met a wonderful seamstress through Etsy and she's making my dd a gorgeous silk formal for Christmas based on a dress she saw and wanted VERY badly. The original dress was $350! Yikes!

Rules are so flexible now :)

Formal used to equate to "floor length dress / tuxedo"

Now, almost any length dress and a dark suit or tuxedo.

I still think long dresses are more appropriate, but wouldn't expect someone to go rent or buy a tuxedo if they already have a dark suit.

Now - if your DH is wearing a tux, then you have to wear a long dress (well - "have to", but many people don't).

Well, around here you can do a short formal--usually a little sparkle, or black "nice fabric," or strapless--

But if it's a winter formal, I think long is better. Maybe ask what the culture is? Do you know anyone who went last year?

I could easily find someone -- good suggestion.

what fun!!! I'd also ask someone who went last year how most of the girls dressed. Have fun shopping!

Oh - and don't forget to look on Etsy for dresses. I met a wonderful seamstress through Etsy and she's making my dd a gorgeous silk formal for Christmas based on a dress she saw and wanted VERY badly. The original dress was $350! Yikes!

I have never been on ETSY -- anything I should know before I look? I have only used ebay (with great success).

Rules are so flexible now :)

Formal used to equate to "floor length dress / tuxedo"

Now, almost any length dress and a dark suit or tuxedo.

I still think long dresses are more appropriate, but wouldn't expect someone to go rent or buy a tuxedo if they already have a dark suit.

Now - if your DH is wearing a tux, then you have to wear a long dress (well - "have to", but many people don't).

DH owns his tux since he has to do this kind of thing (not Cotillion but black tie) at least once a month. I agree, rules are much more flexible now.:)

I have never been on ETSY -- anything I should know before I look? I have only used ebay (with great success).)

Do a search for formal dresses and check out the feedback on the stores. Contact them and see if you click. I just love supporting these home businesses!

The woman we found is actually from my area and we are getting together with her for measurements and all. I can't wait to start!

We have a wonderful used clothing store here - I was able to get two formals (long ones) for our cruise in May for $90 (for both, not each).

Considering most people wear them once and then they sit in their closet, it is pretty easy to find nice, used formals :)

Do a search for formal dresses and check out the feedback on the stores. Contact them and see if you click. I just love supporting these home businesses!

The woman we found is actually from my area and we are getting together with her for measurements and all. I can't wait to start!

thank you so much -- I had a Dolley Madison costume custom made for dd12 when she was in 3rd grade from a woman on ebay. She is not on ebay anymore but I'll bet I can find her (or someone like her) on ETSY. I have to check my records, I think the woman WAS from MI.

By definition, "formal" means full, floor length. Those cute fru-fru dresses are not "formal." :glare:

You'll probably want to check with others involved to see whether the girls are actually wearing formal or cute fru-fru. If you're lucky, it will be truly formal. I'm sorry, but all those short fru-fru dresses just aren't as elegant and amazing and visually stunning as formal dresses. The girls are beautiful, of course, but they're just missing it by not doing formal.

Well, around here you can do a short formal--usually a little sparkle, or black "nice fabric"...

:iagree: When EK was in Cotillion at that age (about 3 or 4 years ago), she wore a "Sunday dress"--a street length nice dress made of striped fabric that had a little sparkle in some of the stripes. It had a little shrug that went with it. Dh wore a suit (not a tux).

I'd check with the organizers. In this day and age, I don't know what goes, when I was around cotillion sort of things (I was a poor Navy kid and didn't actually do them, but most of my best friends from the prep schools I attended did), there was a pretty narrow range of colors, for the 12-14 year olds, the dresses were tea length (mid-calf), and the matrons running the show were very particular.

By definition, "formal" means full, floor length. Those cute fru-fru dresses are not "formal." :glare:

You'll probably want to check with others involved to see whether the girls are actually wearing formal or cute fru-fru. If you're lucky, it will be truly formal. I'm sorry, but all those short fru-fru dresses just aren't as elegant and amazing and visually stunning as formal dresses. The girls are beautiful, of course, but they're just missing it by not doing formal.

I suggest asking those who attended previously - formal, as noted above, is usually defined as an elegant floor length dress...for a cotillion, it may also mean remembering long gloves, specific colors for the dresses, a specific type of dress (fitted bodice, layered skirting in an a-line, etc.), coordinated accessories, etc.

Does the organization hosting have a website with a photo album from previous years? Does anyone you know have a blog or website with pics from years past? For example, the Old Dominion cotillion has an article here with pictures.

I'd check with the organizers. In this day and age, I don't know what goes, when I was around cotillion sort of things (I was a poor Navy kid and didn't actually do them, but most of my best friends from the prep schools I attended did), there was a pretty narrow range of colors, for the 12-14 year olds, the dresses were tea length (mid-calf), and the matrons running the show were very particular.

cotillion? -- like "debutante" stuff?

That's what I was thinking it was...

There are Cotillions in Virginia that are very, ummm, high end and costly ($$$ wise). I know that some of them charge obscene (imo) amounts of money. However, I think that in Virginia (and it may be this way in other places) the word 'Cotillion' covers a wide spectrum -- from 'coming out' and debutante (which my dd certainly is not - she is gracious, has lovely manners, and is able to conduct herself appropriately in social and other situation) -- to events that teach a pre-teen to conduct themselves as I described in the previous parentheses.

I do sense that the women who run the one we participate in try to instill in the children a certain amount of pride in the way they conduct themselves and will conduct themselves at events like this. I know that they discuss things like College Teas, Appropriate Conversation, and alot of stuff that I guess has, unfortunately imo, gone by the wayside.

It is a throw-back from what I can tell - I don't know anyone in NJ (my homestate) who goes to Cotillion unless they are truly a 'debutante' - whatever THAT means today.

:)