Menu

math program at 4? kindy or 1st?

blondeviolin

My just-turned-four-year-old is starting to figure sums with his fingers. I don't want finger-counting math so I'm inclined to start him with a math program. He can count to 100 and understands patterns, shapes, etc. I'm looking at either SM, Miquon or MEP. No matter which spine I choose, I will probably incorporate each of the others. My quandry, though, is if I should place him in a K equivalent of one of these programs or just skip to grade 1 math. We would be going at his pace, ESPECIALLY since we'll be starting early... Is there any benefit to begin at a kindy level at this point?

I chose to skip kindy math with my 5yo because she was very obviously ahead of kindy level at the start of the year.

I'd do K but at the child's pace--if it seems really easy, fly through, just do a couple of the problems, or skip that part. First grade math expects a certain fluency with math facts that is definitely beyond my 4-year-old (she can count on her fingers for adding but only remembers the tiny sums). I have mine doing MEP Reception super quickly plus some Miquon Orange, and then I'll switch to MEP 1 soon.

Singapore Essential Math K is inexpensive, and teaches writing and such. You could fly through it, then move into a first grade program when ready.

Book A is easy, but you're supposed to ask them why they choose something, and that can be interesting! Book B gets into addition and subtraction.

I'd do K but at the child's pace--if it seems really easy, fly through, just do a couple of the problems, or skip that part. First grade math expects a certain fluency with math facts that is definitely beyond my 4-year-old (she can count on her fingers for adding but only remembers the tiny sums). I have mine doing MEP Reception super quickly plus some Miquon Orange, and then I'll switch to MEP 1 soon.

I considered this, but I hesitate because he gets bored easily and acts up when he isn't challenged. He's also remembering larger sums within ten-he knows his doubles and doubles+1 pretty solidly.

I considered this, but I hesitate because he gets bored easily and acts up when he isn't challenged. He's also remembering larger sums within ten-he knows his doubles and doubles+1 pretty solidly.

I would not do MEP Reception then, but Miquon Orange would be fine. Discovery based, very easy to fly through or go slowly, depending on the child.

What about something like the Mathematical Reasoning series from Critical Thinking. It looks very well suited for children who excel at math. He could skip the Beginning books and start at Level A or B.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/searchByNeed.do?code=p&catalog=p&catalog2=p&categories=b&subjects=m&gradeLevel=99&x=29&y=12&code2=p&catalog3=p