Menu

GWG

StephanieF

I found that doing GWG backfired on me for my ds who is someone who will cut corners and is stronger in audio vs visual learning.

There are lessons that they need to read. My son hadn't understood the lessons but it was easy enough to follow the pattern to get the right answer. At unit 2 he took a test and didn't even understand noun/verb/subject. I was already starting to use FLL and that was enjoyable for him and working better b/c I was teaching it to him so we dropped GWG. I think GWG would have worked if I would have sat with him for each lesson and taught him the lesson (rather than just having him read them).

You really don't need to double up on grammar programs like GWG plus FLL (which is also why I dropped GWG - they were redundant). Either program will work but it will depend on the child as to whether GWG will work as a completely independent program.

I just switched my 8 yo dd from FLL to GWG for afterschooling because she fought me so much I needed something she could do more independently. GWG has exceeded my hopes here and I am thrilled. She does this almost entirely independently, only asking for help if she doesn't understand something. The explanations are excellent and age appropriate. We are very happy we made this switch.

Do you do FLL because you don't think GWG is enough?

Stephanie

I do, I don't think I would want to do just GWG if he was doing it by himself. If I was sitting with him and talking about it with him and making sure he had good retention/understanding it may be enough on his own. But he is quick to notice patterns in the answers (for example yesterday the adjective he was circling was always in front of the bold noun). So, I wouldn't be comfortable he is really retaining/understanding the subject matter on his own rather than figuring out the patterns. I don't know if that make sense?

I think FLL is enough, but use GWG as just a supplement for my son to do and for him to have something to work on when I am working with my daughter.

I But he is quick to notice patterns in the answers (for example yesterday the adjective he was circling was always in front of the bold noun). So, I wouldn't be comfortable he is really retaining/understanding the subject matter on his own rather than figuring out the patterns. I don't know if that make sense?

That is exactly what my boy was doing and why he bombed his test :D

I should also add that my DD loves GWG2 so much that I gave her the choice to drop it as I'm having her do FLL3 together with us. She loves it and said she'd do it even if she didn't have to. I do think she "gets it" so I think it has at least something to do with learning style.

My oldest get GWG3 independently two years ago. It went "okay" and was a great step toward independence - at least in one subject! She learned more grammar in Writing Tales 1 last year, however.

I have my #2 doing GWG3 this year & I sit nearby and help with somethings, but grammar is her favorite subject. :confused:

Oldest is doing GWG5 this year & I provide assistance & backup where necessary.

IMO, I wouldn't use it every year, but on the years that I focus on writing, I go lighter on grammar (and use GWG).

I think you will enjoy it and it is quite independent. I was another though that found if I left dd 8yo to do it completely independently she didn't always completely understand but was at least able to figure out the pattern and get everything right on her workbook page. Those same results weren't translating to the tests. So now I go over the lessons in the text with her and she completes the workbook independently. It still only takes a few minutes, gives her an opportunity at independence after our lesson, and is increasing retention.