Menu

Need advice for ds 7 (1st grade) and his reading

He still sounds out every single 3 letter word. Even if we are reading word families (ex: pat, cat, mat, nat, rat) Is there anything I should be doing to help this? Or is it simply practice, practice, practice?

Also, when he gets to words that start and end with the same consonant he just can not figure it out (such as bib, tot, did, gag, non, tot) He memorized mom and dad so those are not an issues but any other word like it he just can not do. He is my only dc who struggled(s) to read. Ds 5 seems to be a natural. We use Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways, ETC, Victory Drill book and Sonlight 1 readers but he is only into the first few stories of book 1 (3 I think. I would have to look at 4 to remember for sure.) Any tips for this?

How long have you been working with him? All of my children were different. My oldest was average. My second was very slow reading exactly as you have described until he was 8 nothing I tried worked, and then something just clicked to him. The first book he read was Moby Dick. It was really hard for me not to freak out. I am just glad that my next 3 came after him. Have you had his eyes checked? Do you use a book mark or an index card to keep the words covered that he isn't reading? Can he read words on a list that aren't in a sentence?

My son Quince was like this in some ways, he was just much earlier. It took him a while to get past the CVC words. It was very painful listening to him sound them out day after day. I started reading the sentence when he was done, and he picked up on that doing the same. He would sounds out every single letter, then when he got to the end he would repeat the whole sentence. It seemed to help him build fluency. Having him read the same book over and over helped too, we read one book for 5 days straight, then added a second, went back to the first again. Doing this until he could read the book from memory basically.

I am in this stage with my daughter at the moment, but she is about to progress out of it. I can not reread books with her, as she will have nothing to do with it. ;-)

I have never used programs you are, so I can't say anything there.

How long have you been working with him?

We have been working on this for just over a year. I can see big changes from a year from now. He struggled so hard to even learn letter names/sounds. Blending 2 letters was a nightmare. Now we are stuck on 3 letter words. He is making progress its just very, very slow.

All of my children were different. My oldest was average. My second was very slow reading exactly as you have described until he was 8 nothing I tried worked, and then something just clicked to him. The first book he read was Moby Dick. It was really hard for me not to freak out. I am just glad that my next 3 came after him. Have you had his eyes checked?

Yeah we actually just started vision therapy. I wasn't expecting alot of progress until we have been going to VT for a while but the regression is starting to worry me. I can't imagine that is because of his eyes, is it?

Do you use a book mark or an index card to keep the words covered that he isn't reading?

We do. We had to go with the back side of an index card though over a bookmark because anything on it would distract him to the point of not being able to focus. That is so weird because he does so well with Horizons math which alot of people say is to busy for their children to focus and do the math.

Can he read words on a list that aren't in a sentence?

Yes but this too is very slow. We have the Sonlight book of wordlists that you read before the stories in Sonlight 1. He can do them but it takes so long and again has to sound out each letter. Like for the word pat he will say /p/..... /p/ /a/..... /p/ /a/ /t/. Then he will repeat it a few times sounding out each letter before saying the word.

My son Quince was like this in some ways, he was just much earlier. It took him a while to get past the CVC words. It was very painful listening to him sound them out day after day.

Yes, exactly :001_huh:

I started reading the sentence when he was done, and he picked up on that doing the same. He would sounds out every single letter, then when he got to the end he would repeat the whole sentence. It seemed to help him build fluency.

I started this after the advice of somebody locally. After he reads it, then I will read it as I point to each word.

Having him read the same book over and over helped too, we read one book for 5 days straight, then added a second, went back to the first again. Doing this until he could read the book from memory basically.

We do this but he memorizes the books so quickly then he guesses at what he thinks the words should be instead of actually taking the time to look and read the letters there. I don't know if we should keep doing that or not. Would guessing from memory hinder him?

I am in this stage with my daughter at the moment, but she is about to progress out of it. I can not reread books with her, as she will have nothing to do with it. ;-)

I have never used programs you are, so I can't say anything there.

Sorry, it was easier to respond this way :001_smile: I checked out OPGTTR from the library and borrowed a book from a friend, I think its called Turbo Reader? (I don't have it in front of me) He does do well with changing things up because he will sometimes just get so bored of 1 thing it becomes more of a chore for him. I don't want to change things up to much that it becames confusing though, KWIM?

The best piece of advice I found for gaining speed in reading was in the R&S Phonics TM. Alongside of each daily lesson is a list of words for the student to sound out, but the TM said to flip to the previous day's words at the end of each phonics lesson and see how many the student could sound out correctly in one minute. The words are familiar, having been read the day prior, and there is a bit of self-competition motivating the student. That worked immensely in helping my second child gain speed in reading (at the beginning of first grade she was still slowly sounding out words). Each day we I would circle the last word that she had read in that one minute, and she tried to beat that number the next day. Perhaps you could do something similar with the Sonlight book of wordlists?

The second thing I might recommend is the game that is played in 100EZ to teach blending sounds. It is called "Say-it-Fast", and the way it is played is the instructor says a word very s-l-o-w-l-y and drawn out, and the student has to say it the fast way. For example, I would say "paaaaaaannnnnnn", and my child would say (or shout, really, as if loudness made it faster :lol:) "pan!" We did this for weeks on end with just about every CVC word I could come up with. I also did it on the sly...for example, I would sat to them "Could you please hand me that peeeeennnnnn" and wait for them to hand me the pen. It is goofy, but it sure sped up the slow sounding out of individual letters and made it easier to blend the sounds into a word.

I'll be honest...that's precisely where we were last year at this time. I really just thought he was just going to be slower in this area, but then I realized his younger brother was about to pass him and realized I might need to look into things more. I ended up looking up characteristics of dyslexia and realized he fit virtually every one.

We did testing and realized that while his IQ is gifted, he is severely dyslexic. We have used orton-gillingham methods to help him and he has improved SO much. We also realized he was having trouble with his eyes and had him tested by a covd.org eye doctor and realized he needed vision therapy as he was unable to zoom, converge, or track. Between treating the dyslexia and vision issues (totally separate issues by the way), he has changed from barely being able to read "cat" to reading magic tree house in about a year.

May not be your case at all, just sharing what happened with us.

You might take a look at Blend Phonics. My son struggled with CVC words until we did some Webster with him and he started seeing the vowel as part of the actual sound, but I think that the Blend Phonics might be easier. Once he got past that, trying to keep everything as an individual sound, things have been better.

It sounds as if blending is really his major problem with reading since you said that blending other letters has been really tough.

This is the little one who has the stomach issues, right? Did anything get resolved with that?

You might take a look at Blend Phonics. My son struggled with CVC words until we did some Webster with him and he started seeing the vowel as part of the actual sound, but I think that the Blend Phonics might be easier. Once he got past that, trying to keep everything as an individual sound, things have been better.

It sounds as if blending is really his major problem with reading since you said that blending other letters has been really tough.

This is the little one who has the stomach issues, right? Did anything get resolved with that?

Yes same one with tummy problems. We have an app in Denver for the initial visit, then after that they said we can be seen in a mobile thing they do in Cheyenne which will be closer (We drive through Cheyenne to get to Denver) They told me to give him a carnation instant breakfast with his meals as his beverage until he can get in to help stop the weight-loss. Our app is the end of this month. They have us at the top of the list though for any cancellations. We unfortunately need a days notice minimum though because of how far away they are. Hoping to get some good answers! My poor little guy has gone through alot :sad:

I will look into Blend Phonics! Thank you :001_smile:

I know you are doing this already, but I can't say enough about encouraging our children. Just letting my hFA son know that I KNOW it's tough for him to read, and that I am proud of him keeps him willing to work at it. It's a little thing, but is important, perhaps even more important when it is so painful to listen to the reading!

I hope you get some answers for his weight loss and stomach problems.

We did testing and realized that while his IQ is gifted, he is severely dyslexic. We have used orton-gillingham methods to help him and he has improved SO much. We also realized he was having trouble with his eyes and had him tested by a covd.org eye doctor and realized he needed vision therapy as he was unable to zoom, converge, or track.

My son was just like this--sounded out every.single.word painfully until he was 8. He also ended up needing vision therapy, and although I never had him formally tested for dyslexia, I strongly suspect that also plays a role, and have used OG programs with him that have greatly helped.

Check out www.covd.org and Dyslexia Symptoms. Merry :-)

I know you are doing this already, but I can't say enough about encouraging our children. Just letting my hFA son know that I KNOW it's tough for him to read, and that I am proud of him keeps him willing to work at it. It's a little thing, but is important, perhaps even more important when it is so painful to listen to the reading!

Oh yes! Absolutely doing this! Infact, he is encouraging his little brother also! Its amazing to see him so supportive to his brother!! I love it :D

Ok, disregard this thread. I finally got the detailed report from his initial vision therapy app and it literally explains everything. I didn't realize how bad his eyes were and how much he struggles to do as well as he does. Infact, in the report she says "I am astonished with as much as he has accomplished with is eyes the way they are"

SO, now my question is-- do I put phonics on hold for a while and just work with AAS while he starts vision therapy? I know I can't do that for the full 3 years he is projected to be in VT but should I give him atleast a few months? Maybe a year of AAS and just reading to him- doing phonics as he requests? Or would that be a huge mistake? He absolutely LOVES ETC so we would keep up with that but put the Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways and readers on hold?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Let us know what your VT recommends on the phonics and reading. Now if they can only find out what's going on with his stomach!

I know. Poor kid. He is doing well with the shakes though! And he eats a protein snack every 2 hours and that is showing a little bit of progress. His tummy aches are less frequent but still there.

SO, now my question is-- do I put phonics on hold for a while and just work with AAS while he starts vision therapy? I know I can't do that for the full 3 years he is projected to be in VT but should I give him atleast a few months? Maybe a year of AAS and just reading to him- doing phonics as he requests? Or would that be a huge mistake? He absolutely LOVES ETC so we would keep up with that but put the Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways and readers on hold?

Our VT had us put all traditional reading/phonics work on hold. He said that given the nature of my kids' particular issues, they would learn to read by employing compensating strategies, which then they would have to unlearn. To avoid bad habits, we were to avoid phonics/reading until a certain point in the therapy. I am not sure if that is standard with VT, or just related to the particular issues my kids have, so you need to ask your doctor.

I have basically tried to do everything else possible now that they would have otherwise been doing in the next year. All the history, science, readalouds, math (with manipulatives, not worksheets), memory work, etc., so that when I get the greenlight from the VT, we can cut way back on that other stuff and really focus on phonics.

When we started VT, our doctor gave my son some glasses that basically compensated for his problems (he could not zoom, track, or converge) until his muscles become strong enough on their own. He said by the time we are done with VT, we will be done with the glasses. Because of this we have been able to carry on as normal with no interruptions in instruction. Honestly, he put on the glasses for the first time and had a hard time adjusting his eyes to them. By the second time he wore them his reading had gone up at least a grade level. I can't tell you how they helped. We are getting to where we can do fairly well without them now but that has taken us almost a year.

Just a thought--don't know what your son's specific issues are.

When we started VT, our doctor gave my son some glasses that basically compensated for his problems (he could not zoom, track, or converge) until his muscles become strong enough on their own. He said by the time we are done with VT, we will be done with the glasses. Because of this we have been able to carry on as normal with no interruptions in instruction. Honestly, he put on the glasses for the first time and had a hard time adjusting his eyes to them. By the second time he wore them his reading had gone up at least a grade level. I can't tell you how they helped. We are getting to where we can do fairly well without them now but that has taken us almost a year.

Just a thought--don't know what your son's specific issues are.

He (ds) said that he can see better and do everything better with his glasses but he keeps looking under his glasses during reading lessons. I actually posted the findings of the report over on the SN board. I don't know if that was wise but the VT office was closed yesterday when I got the report and I got an email Thursday saying she would be out of the office for atleast a week, possibly more due to a family emergency out of state. I just don't know what to do at this point :confused:

I sure think you could. AAS is a complete phonics program, and ETC is phonics too, so it's not like you'd be dropping phonics anyway. Take a step back at least for a couple of weeks and discuss it with your VT office. If they give the green light you can add it back in, or you may decide to wait for a few months. Depending on his diagnosis, it will likely be much easier for him to pick up in awhile anyway.

Merry :-)

Reading Pathways Fluency Pyramids have been a godsend around here.

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Pathways-Exercises-Improve-Jossey-Bass/dp/0787992895

:iagree: Button even _likes_ it!

Also seconding the vision, maybe neuropsych eval, esp. given the stomach problems. I have noticed an unofficial correlation btw. stomach/food problems and some processing challenges in children; I haven't seen all the pps though and you may have addressed this already.

editing after reading pps: So glad that vision explains it all, though I'm sorry that your little one has this extra challenge. We use AAS and I completely agree that it serves a strong phonics function.

Edited by serendipitous journey

What a relief to have a diagnosis!

I'd ask the VT to see what their thoughts are on this; but I would think that AAS would likely be your best option since it isn't necessarily reading on paper or doing worksheets - it's a lot of board work and it's the rules you want to teach more than the mechanics of writing and reading - you can do A LOT on the white board, including the spelling lists (on the board instead of paper)!