Menu

language arts

Trisha, try a spin off thread up on K-8 board up there, folks who have used both programs probably have an opinion as they are familiar.

What I personally really loved in the first grade were going through illustrations in books and drawings from them, then sending off to do little recreation drawings.... Sendak was always a blast....

We haven't done ETC. It's a reading program, right? We did OPGTR. I have FLL1 and I have mixed feelings bout that book. It's a bit too scripted for us. You can absolutely start FLL. It's intended for 1st grade and it's super gentle. You can also wait another year and start with FLL2 and skip the first level.

• 2 weeks later...

I use both programs. I say just start the next book but keep in mind that book 4 is the toughest book. Some children have problems with sylllables which are covered in book 4. We are currently on book 8. Dd found book 4 challenging but not 5-7. FLL and etc cover different skills. I didn't see any value in slowing down phonics instruction so we just worked one book after another including summertime. We don't all subjects year round but we do etc & math?