Menu

Free-range Turkey?

Is it worth it?

I am considering buying an organic free-range turkey from a local butcher. I love the idea of a more sustainable food source, eating healthier, and supporting a local business. However, it's expensive! And a teacher's salary only goes so far. So the big question is, can you taste a differece? If not, I'll just have to go with a Butterball until we can afford to have such high morals/ethics. :D

Yes, I can taste the difference. I prefer the fresh killed free range turkey. However, budgets are a concern and some years I do the free turkey I get from the supermarket. To be honest, if I am doing Thanksgiving for my dh's family I use the free frozen turkey because they have zero appreciation for the food I make from scratch and their tastebuds are so dull they can not tell the difference in the turkey.

Honestly, unless you know what "free range" means for that particular turkey it may not make much difference. "Free range" can mean that the turkey spent most of it's life out in the sunshine, living off the land. "Free range" can also mean that the turkey had access to the outside. It doesn't mean that said turkey ever actually went outside. "Free range" can also mean anything between the two extremes.

I think buying a fresh (never frozen) turkey over a frozen turkey makes a huge difference in taste. Also the breed of turkey will make a difference in how the turkey looks and tastes.

One of my friends said that a free-range turkey tasted gamey. I thought only wild birds tasted gamey, and that the domesticated diet did not lead to a gamey taste? Is their a distinct taste difference, or just a fresher taste?

I have heard the same said of grass-fed beef. I don't know one way or the other myself.

One of my friends said that a free-range turkey tasted gamey. I thought only wild birds tasted gamey, and that the domesticated diet did not lead to a gamey taste? Is their a distinct taste difference, or just a fresher taste?

it does taste more gamey but it's not over powering. I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful taste. I definitely noticed a difference. It was also VERY juicy!

We find that the typical grocery store turkeys have a vague chemical taste from the broth that the butcher puts in them (and you pay by the pound for). When we make our pasture-raised turkeys, we brine them ourselves with real ingredients (herbs, salt). I do think you need to brine them or the breast meat dries out before the dark meat is done.

If I'm making turkey for the big family Christmas (which I am this year), I try to get a pasture-raised one. However, if no one else appreciates it, I'd skip the expense.

If you can get a fresh turkey, without the water and "basting broth" you could still get a tasty turkey.

Sandra

Grass fed animals tend to be lower in fat. Because of the lower fat content grass-fed beef should be cooked differently than corn-fed beef. Usually the temp and time required is different. This isn't such a difference for poultry because they tend to be lower fat anyway. The taste of fresh meat is different but I wouldn't say it's gamey.

I think this bird is as free range as I will get! According to the butcher's website, the birds are from a local farm. It is mostly known as a miniature petting farm in our area! My husband was excited at the prospect of picking out our bird and watching the process :confused: but I told him I was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen. :001_huh:

So, it may taste slightly gamey, but this isn't necessarily bad, it also might be more tender?

Can you tell this is my first turkey yet? :lol:

Yes! Totally worth the price (heck, it's only once a year, right?). Also, a free-range animal is thought to have higher omega-3 and lower omega-6 content than a grain-fed animal. Plus, you will be getting a turkey that tastes like turkey is SUPPOSED to taste. No nasty additives, fillers, chemicals, and who knows what else. And no "butterball" taste. Blechhh. That taste is engineered in a lab.

We buy all of our beef and pork at a local farm, but for Thanksgiving, I buy a turkey from the store. I cannot stand the taste of turkey - it tastes rotten to me, so I can't justify paying more for a meat I don't even like. Thanksgiving is the only time I ever cook turkey. I guess that's selfish since my family likes turkey. :001_smile:

We raised free-range turkeys this year that we supplemented with a little grain. They were the commercial turkey variety. Ours butchered out at 9lbs which is about half the size they would have been if we fed them all grain. We only ever by small turkeys from the grocery store so it was a good comparison.

It was nice and plump and had good sized legs and breasts. I spatchcocked it so it would cook faster and not dry out. It was fabulous, not gamey at all. After that meal dh declared Thanksgiving his favourite holiday and requested turkey again for Christmas.

For us it was definitely worth it.