Menu

Did you hear about this??

OK...now I want everyone who responds to this to agree with me. :D

But....all kidding aside.....I saw this this morning and it's just horrible. I feel so badly for this innoncent woman and her poor son. :crying: If kids (and adults) would only think about what could possibly happen before they do something so dumb.

WOW! The worst part is I could see my DSS doing the same thing and it never even crossing his mind that it might hurts someone.

ETA: I am not pardoning what they did at all BTW! My dss has prenatal exposure and seems to have no cause and effect understanding. It was just the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the story. I printed it for dss to read.

Edited by ds4159

Gosh, that is horrible. What gets into kids??

They haven't fully developed their frontal lobes. It's why children should be supervised; they really are not capable of thinking past the immediate entertainment. They are literally in that place where "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I really hope the woman hit recovers to full capacity, and that the boys get some counselling. That kind of stupid youthful mistake is a hell of a thing to carry with you, I would think.

How awful for that poor mother and her family. The article said she was shopping with her 13 year old son; I really hate to imagine him witnessing his mother hurt so badly.

And I can't help but give the benefit of the doubt to the children who hurt her. I *have* to assume they just weren't thinking about what might happen. I can't let myself think they either didn't care if someone got hurt, or, even worse, were trying to harm someone. I just can't. While the sub-title says the cart was pushed by "two teens", the article says that the boys were both 12. I just don't want to fathom that two 12 year old boys were intentionally trying to hurt someone with their antics.

Intentional or not, they should be prosecuted. 12 years old is old enough to be able to predict the possible consequences of your actions. I suppose it just makes me feel better about the world to assume they just didn't stop to think, instead of thinking they had evil intentions.

How awful for that poor mother and her family. The article said she was shopping with her 13 year old son; I really hate to imagine him witnessing his mother hurt so badly.

And I can't help but give the benefit of the doubt to the children who hurt her. I *have* to assume they just weren't thinking about what might happen. I can't let myself think they either didn't care if someone got hurt, or, even worse, were trying to harm someone. I just can't. While the sub-title says the cart was pushed by "two teens", the article says that the boys were both 12. I just don't want to fathom that two 12 year old boys were intentionally trying to hurt someone with their antics.

Intentional or not, they should be prosecuted. 12 years old is old enough to be able to predict the possible consequences of your actions. I suppose it just makes me feel better about the world to assume they just didn't stop to think, instead of thinking they had evil intentions.

On the video clip they said that the son was hysterical; which just breaks my heart.

No, those boys didn't do it intentionally to hit her or anyone. I read another article about it (can't seem to find it now) that said prior to thowing the cart over the edge, they had been throwing slushies. It was just a really bad decision. I feel badly for them too....I mean, it only takes seconds for a kid (any kid) to make the wrong decision that they'll have to live with the rest of their life.

I really just can't fathom this.....a Target shopping cart falling 4 stories and landing on your head..... :svengo:

They haven't fully developed their frontal lobes. It's why children should be supervised; they really are not capable of thinking past the immediate entertainment. They are literally in that place where "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I really hope the woman hit recovers to full capacity, and that the boys get some counselling. That kind of stupid youthful mistake is a hell of a thing to carry with you, I would think.

I wish their parents would be prosecuted. (I know it wouldn't do much good, but at some point parents must realize their children are their responsibility.)

I feel like there is a lot pressure to give kids more freedom despite their lack of frontal lobe development. I know that many parents think I'm a helicopter mom. Kids go on unsupervised play dates as early as second and third grade even though the parents just casually know each other from school. Kids have sleepovers at age 8. And obviously 12 yrs olds are allowed to roam the mall unsupervised. My kids may be unhappy but I'm not having any of it. They will continue to be completely supervised until I'm sure that they can govern and protect themselves. Then I may still need to check in a lot via cell phone just to ensure that all is well.

I wish their parents would be prosecuted. (I know it wouldn't do much good, but at some point parents must realize their children are their responsibility.)

:iagree: I also think those boys should be in major major legal troubles. I blame the parents for not watching their children and the children for being careless. I think it is a sad place where other people have to pay for someone elses children.