Menu

Life of Fred...is it stand alone?

heidip2p

My dd that is 10 is really struggling with math. We have been using MUS. I have been considering using LOF for her. Is it a math program that can stand alone or do I need to supplement?

ETA--and which book should I use? She is in 5th grade. She is doing MUS epsilon. She is passing all her tests but it is with quite a bit of struggle.

Edited by heidip2p

The answer to your question really depends on the child.

The math is all there, to answer the most basic question you are asking; both the why and the how and the how to apply it.

But it is clear from the boards that the method of presentation works for some kids, and not for others, and for still others, it works, but they (or their parents) need some additional practice to build confidence.

All you can do is try to find out :).

Jen

I would not use Life of Fred as a primary program for any child (at least with the lower levels; I've used Fractions, Decimals, and the prealgebras) and I really wouldn't use it for a child who was struggling. The explanations are procedural at best and there is not enough practice.

My 10yo dd is using MM 4 and LoF Fractions. I agree that you wouldn't want to use LoF with a child who is struggling. MM has plenty of practice and approaches things in a very methodical, incremental way--it seems to do a good job teaching the "why" behind the math.

I wish I could use LoF on its own for my dd. She adores it, and does the math happily. She doesn't love MM, but it is getting the job done. Once we get to algebra, I will probably let her do just LoF. She seems to understand math easily, but has trouble doing a lot of practice. I think having a program that she loves will help her to have the motivation she needs to slog through practice problems.

I can't recommend Teaching Textbooks highly enough especially for a child who struggles with math!

Here's my detailed review on it:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124221.html

And here's a fantastic thread on it:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259625&highlight=teaching+textbooks+standardized+test

(P.S. We're on our second year of using TT as our main curriculum and still loving it. This year we did add LOF Fractions just once a week for fun- I thought it sounded interesting and wanted to check it out with the mindset that if my daughter hated it, we'd drop it. She does enjoy the story portion of things but there's no way it would ever have taught her enough math to be a stand alone curriculum, it seems more like a different/fun way of practicing things you've already learned. Not enough instruction, whereas TT really shows and tells what to do and how to do it).