Menu

Made From Scratch cookbook or website recs, please?

Looking for your favorite tried and true Made from Scratch cookbook or website recs. I am not an accomplished cook, so recipes and cookbooks are still necessary for success for me.

When I looked at the Whole Foods cookbooks at the library, I realized that I am at the baby step phase and should actually call my cooking Made from Scratch, rather than Whole Foods, since those terms are not synonymous. Some of the ingredients in Whole Food recipes are completely unfamiliar to me! I'm looking for simple, yet tasty... healthy, but not tofu, please.

I've been using my More with Less cookbook with success, any others?

TIA

Whole Foods for the Whole Family is one of my favorites. I flipped through again and don't see cans of this and that, just pantry items. It might call for canned tomatoes somewhere, but all the recipes I have used even call for fresh.

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Foods-Family-Cookbook/dp/0912500433/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320091510&sr=8-1

It is healthy and probably does have tofu recipes but also has meat recipes, vegetarian, etc.

Cheap, Fast, Good is new to my cookbook shelf, but I'm loving it. It also doesn't use a lot of processed/canned/bottled stuff. It uses basics and nothing exotic. The recipes we have tried have all been tasty for our family.

http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Fast-Good-Beverly-Mills/dp/0761131760/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320091684&sr=1-1

For an extensive cooking lesson, also with fresh ingredients and basics, is Joy of Cooking. It has lots of expository to teach cooking along with the recipes.

To clarify...

My idea of Made from Scratch could be different from others' ideas... I'm looking for recipes which have few to no ingredients from a can.

Currently, I have to cook from several recipes for a single dish. Many cookbooks ask for "Cream of..." soups, so I have to interrupt the process to find my printed recipe for "Homemade Cream of ..." soup or" Homemade Taco seasoning", etc. and prepare that stage before continuing. I would like a collection of recipes with the seasonings and/or soups, etc. included in the recipe with easy-to-follow instructions.

Compiling the grocery list is a nightmare as I plan menus from too many recipes.

Hope that helps,

ETA: You ladies are so fast that my clarification is now after your prompt responses, thank you so much for your quick replies!

Edited by bnbacademy

When I looked at the Whole Foods cookbooks at the library,

Just occurred to me - was this the one put out by the Whole Foods grocery store? I think I checked that out too because I like their food. My jaw went slack on that as I added up what I would need to buy for each and every meal, and then I returned it to the library pronto. LOL

Just occurred to me - was this the one put out by the Whole Foods grocery store? I think I checked that out too because I like their food. My jaw went slack on that as I added up what I would need to buy for each and every meal, and then I returned it to the library pronto. LOL

I believe so, I looked at several. It had recipes for tofu, mochi, etc. which I'm not quite ready for yet.

Looking for your favorite tried and true Made from Scratch cookbook or website recs. I am not an accomplished cook, so recipes and cookbooks are still necessary for success for me.

IMO, everyone who wants to learn to be more than a most basic warmer-upper and cook should start with the old Joy Of Cooking, read, and start making recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/JOY-COOKING-Irma-S-Rombauer/dp/0026045702

$4.50 with shipping, used, and it could keep you busy for decades.

Two that come to mind immediately are Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Edition (you might be able to find it at the library - mine is old and torn and has fallen apart and I can't seem to find another. A fair alternative is Betty Crocker's New Cookbook Everything You Need to Know to Cook), and Rodale Whole Foods Cookbook. Both are awesome, use easy to identify, from-scratch ingredients and the recipes taste great.

ETA - actually, Amazon has some used copies of BC 40th for a reasonable price now!

Edited by LauraGB