Menu

?History for Logic Stage... History of US?

I'm planning for 7th grade for ds and someone suggested using History of US. Our library had it and it seems like a decent set of books. But if we use this we'll be buying them. So how do you use these books? Do you use them in conjunction with other books on the WTM history rotation or stand alone? They seem to line up with SOTW 3 and 4 but ds has already read them both twice. So do you use any "World History" books in conjunction besides SOTW?

Thanks.

We used books 2-5 for 7th grade, spending about 4-5 weeks on each one. (Most 4 weeks, I think...) Between Hakim books, we worked on world history of the same period, mostly using world history spines recommended for upper logic stage students: the DK History and the NG Almanac of World History (along with various supplements and literature coordinated to the period).

For 8th we're using books 6-10 (reading speed increased just a bit) and chapters 22-29 of Spielvogel's Western Civilization (combined volume) and a number of other supplements and literature.

We try to stick to WTM-type assignments for timeline, summarizing, outlining... The timeline is expected with nearly all history reading, but I try to vary the other assignments so they don't get too repetitive. Lots of reading and lots of writing though.

We use SOTW for grammar stage but not for logic stage (except where one child overhears the other).

I don't use SOTW for logic stage either. I will use some of Story Of US, but I weave it in as reading where needed.

I picked up the set cheap at a library sale and I don't expect I will use all of them. I am in year two of the four year history cycle this year (Medieval to Renaissance) and I will be using the first book when it is time to discuss the first Americans.

We've used them two different ways with our older children. Our oldest used them during years three and four of the classical cycle. We used Biblioplan which scheduled their reading along with some other world history spine choices, readers, etc. Our second dd did a year of stand alone US history in 7th grade after covering world history using Sonlight cores 6 and 7. For her stand alone year she read all ten volumes and we used the syllabus from hewitt for scheduling and tests. Here's a link to that:

https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mItem.aspx?id=2852

Both ways worked out equally well, it just depends on where your child is in the history rotation and whether you want to include world history or not.

Guest jules909

I'm using them with my 7th grader, along with the teaching guides published by Oxford University Press. The teaching guides are for middle school and high school classes according to the covers. Sonlight uses History of US as their 9th grade spine, so I am using their book list to go along with our history studies...I actually have the Sonlight curriculum..but not following it, as I prefer the teaching guides.

For 7th grade this year, we are using a combination of SOTW vol 4 with Hakim's History of US and tons and tons of literature. I'm basically using SOTW as a timeline to facilitate other options. We are using encyclopedias, other spines, geography books, and dvds too. I've incorporated writing as well. It has been a wonderful study!

• 3 months later...