Menu

Kindle for dd6?

I'm stumped as to what to get dd for Christmas. Her little sister is getting a bike (grandparents), a leapster (us), and a plasma car (Nana). So, three BIG gifts. Dd6 is getting microscope (Nana), and not sure from us or the other grandparents. Thinking of asking them to get her a cool science experiment kit...

She has had a tough time with learning to read and her confidence is really low regarding it. She is trying very hard though, and I'm prud of her progress. I'm wondering is maybe a basic kindle/nook would be a good gift idea, and possibly encourage her to read more? I just don't know if there is enough material on her level available, kwim? She is about halfway through The Reading Lesson right now...she can read the level 1 easy readers generally.

Is this a bad idea? Good idea? Would there be plenty of easy books for her to start with? I really don't know much about these things, is there a way to play games on them?

If you think my idea is lame, would you mind giving me other suggestions for an active, computer loving, animal loving girl? She has all the outside active stuff, bike, scooter, skates, ect. She does not play with typical toys, like barbie, little pet shops, dolls, ect.

I'd really check and make sure that if you get a kindle for her that they have books she can read on there. If she is reading books with pictures still some of that will be lost on a basic kindle (don't know about a nook). They have e-readers specially designed for kiddos http://www.amazon.com/Vtech-V-Reader-Animated-E-Book-System/dp/B0057UDE0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320006906&sr=8-1

I'm not big into electronics at that age...I'd be more inclinded to get her a nice gift card to a book store in a pretty box, with a sweet simple letter and a date coupon with mom (or dad or both) to spend the afternoon having brunch or lunch and picking out some new books just for her with a few pretty bookmarks and maybe even a cute little reading light for at night and a cozy little blanket you made (if you do that sort of thing) or bought, to curl up with...maybe some hot chocolate and her own mug and some little snacky things in a basket for when she's curled up and gets a hankering for something to munch and a sweet cup of hot chocolate to drink...:D But I love reading...so do my kids and I think I may do this for my daughter this year, lol.

What about an iPod that you can load with audiobooks?

You can check them out from the library, import them into iTunes, and listen to them at your leisure. You have plenty of time to request titles through interlibrary loan. There's also audible, but their audiobooks are one loooong track which makes it hard if you want to burn to disc.

I don't have a problem w electronics for that age. We have a kindle, which DD6 really likes. However, because of the e-ink (which is why we bought it - no backlit = less eye strain) you lose the coloured pics in childrens books. If your child is a beginning reader a page\screen full of black/white pics and words then it may not be what you're looking for. There are plenty of young readers available for it though.

We just got the kids Nooks (the original). They won out over the Kindle because we can use them with any ePub formatted book, so we can check out ebooks from Overdrive as well as get them from other sources. B&N has a good selection of leveled readers and a decent number of free easy readers for the Nook.

Do remember to password protect the download feature, whatever you get. Our least fluent reader figured that out as soon as my husband turned it off and forgot to re-enable it. :)