Menu

Recs for Spanish for 2nd and 5th grade?

Halcyon

I have given up on the possibility of my Italian-speaking DH teaching my kids Italian. :glare: He really wants them to learn Italian but I just don't think he's going to be able to find the time to teach them consistently.

I speak Spanish (or I did) and I think I could teach certainly the first couple of years. I'd like to find a curriculum that would work for a rising 2nd grader who is ahead in LA, and a 5th grader. Since we're also doing Latin, and that will be our primary focus language-wise, I would rather it not be incredibly time consuming, at least in the beginning.

Ideas?

Thanks. Just saw on another thread that you were using that, and we really liked GSWL, so....

We have Barron's Italian Now! and I was thinking I might order their Spanish Now! Has anyone here tried it? I like the layout of Italian NOw, and it looks like Spanish Now is similar....

ETA: actually, looking it over, GSWL looks pretty perfect...

Edited by Halcyon

Yeah, Alexa and I are up to lesson 22 and are really enjoying it. We're doing it together and both picking it up pretty easily. I like how they combine the free online/downloadable pronunciation sound clips (by the author who is a native Spanish speaker) and the downloadable "author's commentary" (where the two authors discuss and go over each lesson) with the book format. The lessons in the book are short and easy, the sound clips really round it out, and it moves at a good pace, introducing just one new concept at a time but laid out in a way that really gets you speaking sentences before you know it.

We plan to finish this and then if we want to continue with Spanish, we will move on to Visual Link Spanish (I think :D).

I got Rosetta Stone Homeschool Edition for half price used. I think it's excellent for ds. He needs the combination of visual and audio. Fir grammar, we use Spanish for Children, including online games and stories through Headventureland (which go together with SfC).

We're using http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Them-Spanish-Grade-K/dp/0742401952/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320270983&sr=8-1

I've only used the K one but it's working well so far. It's about half reproducible worksheets and half teaching stuff--booklists, a lesson plan, and a bunch of vocabulary set to songs. DD isn't interested in the booklists but the vocabulary songs are working really well.

Thanks for all these replies. We are going to start with GSWL and then move to a more intense approach after that. I am thinking of Easy Spanish, Step by Step. Has anyone used it?

We're almost done with GSWS unfortunately. If only the author could write a sequel. It's been a great program for us. So, I was thinking of using Las Puertas Retorcidas, or R.E.A.L. Homeschool Spanish, both of which I have. I also have Galore Park's Spanish 1 sitting on the shelf, but the font is so small, I would have to use it only orally.

Easy Spanish looks good and I think I'll order it as a supplement to whatever else I will use.