Menu

Learning glitch - what does this sound like to you?

And how would you address it?

My friend's 8yo son: reads on level, math skills are fine, can memorize and regurgitate pieces (like the Lord's Prayer)

But he cannot put vocabulary words and definitions together either verbally or written (word bank type test). Orally, he comes out with something that makes no sense in the context of the vocab. Written, he just mixes up the entire lot of words.

That's not the end of the world, but she wonders if it is indicative of some bigger processing type disorder.

Any insight?

has he seen a speech pathologist?

I always thought it was about pronuciation - but my son did a speech eval last week as part of his work-up and many of those were things it was evaluating. It is more "communication", than "speech".

Kristen, to my knowledge, he has not seen a speech pathologist. I doubt she could take him either. They just moved across the country for the husband's new job and have really crappy insurance. They are living hand-to-mouth right now, trying to recover from the cost of the trans-continental move.

I will mention it to her, though, in case she knows a SP back home or has met one here.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kristen, to my knowledge, he has not seen a speech pathologist. I doubt she could take him either. They just moved across the country for the husband's new job and have really crappy insurance. They are living hand-to-mouth right now, trying to recover from the cost of the trans-continental move.

I will mention it to her, though, in case she knows a SP back home or has met one here.

Thanks for the feedback!

the schools have speech pathologists and can do an evaluation. If the service would make a difference for how the child performs academically, they can get that through the school - even if they are homeschooled.

• 2 weeks later...