Menu

My consolation prize

This summer we moved to the middle of nowhere. We are surrounded by miles and miles of mountains and ocean, living in a native village of about 80 people. I have only been in six buildings since August - my house, 2 other teachers' houses, the school, the post office, and (briefly, to vote) the council office. There isn't a park, library, cafe, market, ANYTHING here unless you count the stash of Amway stuff my neighbor sells out of her spare bedroom. I have a serious case of cabin fever.

But there is one bright side: the view is spectacular. Here is what I faced at almost 9 am this morning.

post-9010-13535085670072_thumb.jpg

This summer we moved to the middle of nowhere. We are surrounded by miles and miles of mountains and ocean, living in a native village of about 80 people. I have only been in six buildings since August - my house, 2 other teachers' houses, the school, the post office, and (briefly, to vote) the council office. There isn't a park, library, cafe, market, ANYTHING here unless you count the stash of Amway stuff my neighbor sells out of her spare bedroom. I have a serious case of cabin fever.

But there is one bright side: the view is spectacular. Here is what I faced at almost 9 am this morning.

Oh my word. Spectacular is right. Breathtaking.

Hey just be glad you have internet!

How do you get groceries and items you need? Order it online?

I get almost all of my shelf-stable food on Amazon. The postmistress is not so impressed, because she has to haul the boxes off the mail plane. We get mail (in theory) three days a week. If the weather's bad or the mail plane has a problem, it can be a week or more between arrivals.

We get perishables in Anchorage. Either we ask someone to pick it up while they're there, or my husband picks it up when he travels for inservice or a school trip. We use powdered milk, frozen veggies, and we have a freezer full of fish.

For some things I don't need in bulk or can't get on Amazon, I've had a friend buy it in Portland and mail it up to me in a flat-rate box. That works pretty well.

How is your family dealing with the change? Where did you live before (if you don't mind sharing)? My hubby would so move in a heartbeat to the bush!

Hubby is so busy he doesn't have time to be too reflective. My oldest is struggling because she really wants to have her old life back: rigorous education at a big high school, lots of friends, sense of community. The kids here are much further behind her in academics and they have a different sense of community she can't crack (they are all related, and have their own brand of humor). My middle child is having a hard time with one particular student who pushes his buttons, and is having a problem boasting and bragging due to his insecurity. Even though he has a 1:3 ratio at school (with his dad as the teacher) he still needs me to tutor him due to his dyslexia, so his days are too long. My youngest is fine, except preschool is held in the afternoons when he would normally nap, and half the time he's on the verge of a meltdown due to being tired.

I am burning out from spending all my time worrying about other people and having no one to take care of ME. Last night I got frustrated with dd and dh, and realized that when they are ticked off at me, I have no one. It's a hard place to be right now.

I like some things about the bush (generally, the people are very nice; I don't have to run errands or keep a tight schedule). I have never cooked so much and been so on-top of laundry. But I see why it's not for everyone.

(BTW, I moved from Portland, Oregon. Even though I had everything I could need at my fingertips, I didn't leave home much. I do miss my twice-monthly game nights!)

Edited by ondreeuh

Hubby is so busy he doesn't have time to be too reflective. My oldest is struggling because she really wants to have her old life back: rigorous education at a big high school, lots of friends, sense of community. The kids here are much further behind her in academics and they have a different sense of community she can't crack (they are all related, and have their own brand of humor). My middle child is having a hard time with one particular student who pushes his buttons, and is having a problem boasting and bragging due to his insecurity. Even though he has a 1:3 ratio at school (with his dad as the teacher) he still needs me to tutor him due to his dyslexia, so his days are too long. My youngest is fine, except preschool is held in the afternoons when he would normally nap, and half the time he's on the verge of a meltdown due to being tired.

I am burning out from spending all my time worrying about other people and having no one to take care of ME. Last night I got frustrated with dd and dh, and realized that when they are ticked off at me, I have no one. It's a hard place to be right now.

I like some things about the bush (generally, the people are very nice; I don't have to run errands or keep a tight schedule). I have never cooked so much and been so on-top of laundry. But I see why it's not for everyone.

(BTW, I moved from Portland, Oregon. Even though I had everything I could need at my fingertips, I didn't leave home much. I do miss my twice-monthly game nights!)

:grouphug: to you. We recently moved 1,000 miles across the country away from family. It hasn't been easy, but we are surviving. I haven't found my 'drinking buddy' yet. Aka coffee buddy. :D We moved from a small town to a much larger city. It's been hard to find our niche....

:grouphug: Sorry you are lonely. I'm sure it's a huge adjustment for the entire family.

What an adventure though. How long will you be up there?

My dh would be soooooooooo jealous. It's always been his dream to live up in Alaska (he's never been there). He would be the most happiest if he were a mountain man living off the land.

:grouphug: Sorry you are lonely. I'm sure it's a huge adjustment for the entire family.

What an adventure though. How long will you be up there?

My dh would be soooooooooo jealous. It's always been his dream to live up in Alaska (he's never been there). He would be the most happiest if he were a mountain man living off the land.

Our hubbies would be the best of buddies. :D

I, too, live in a remote place very far from "home" and getting used it it was a huge hurdle for me. I think it's important for everyone in your family (including you) to be able to speak up about what's difficult about it and to be allowed (again - including you) to mourn what you've given up. A move like you are talking about is a very traumatic experience, even if it's done for the best possible reasons and everyone is on board for it.

At the same time, it can help to wake up every morning, clear off all the clutter of those feelings of what's been left behind, and try to start from where you are right at the moment.

There's no one to care for you - so how can you best care for yourself? Go ahead an carve out alone time, carve out time reading in bed, carve out phone calls to loved ones and friends, whatever helps you.

Instead of trying to help your kids work their way into the present circle (and I get this entirely - it is hard, hard, hard to make friends in a new town - especially in a village like that), how can your little family have so much fun on your own and enjoy your own lives so much that your happiness and joy will attract others? It is a terrible/ironic fact that lonely people don't attract friends; happy people attract friends.

Can you make your landscape your ally? When I moved to a smallish isolated town my anger and unhappiness at the move blinded me to the beauty all around me. Now I am in love with the place I live. I am finding a kind of solace in the landscape I never dreamed of; in fact it is now the basis for my spirituality, as well. I wish I had shared my joy in the landscape with my kids right from the get-go.

HTH

Jennifer, thank you for your fresh perspective.

I had been staying and helping during preschool (most of the time to discipline my own kid, as he is very impulsive) but now that he is getting adjusted I have started staying home. Right now I'm baking bread and about to read a book. I've been thinking about getting an exercise bike so I can get some exercise.

Dh said he'd try to be home by 4 today. Usually he's not home til 7, and I'm looking forward to taking a walk with him while the weather is still beautiful!