Menu

Ophthalmologist or optometrist?

DFS has a problem with one of his eyes. It has a tendency to wander, but more than wandering it just takes longer to "catch up" to his right eye. When making eye movements his right eye is where it should be and the left takes longer to get there. You can see it slide into the right position.

Would an optometrist be sufficient for this problem?

Dd has that. Her pediatric ophthalmologist did nothing for it besides glasses. He said that it couldn't possibly be causing her reading issues because she could read a tiny letter in isolation. Her COVD optometrist dignosed her convergence & tracking issues from her eyes not working together properly, and in about 2 months of vision therapy (which her opthalmologist doesn't "believe" in--MDs and ODs run in different circles and read different studies, apparently), dd has moved up from refusing to read a single sentence in an easy reader (she would read no more than one word at a time unless she was forced, although she could read 4th grade words) to reading chapter books voluntarily (slowly, but still). The research supporting vision therapy is pretty strong especially for the correction of amblyopia-related issues (which is what our kids both have).

:iagree: i have similar issues, and delaying *appropriate* treatment can eventually mean the problems become permanent.

Dd has that. Her pediatric ophthalmologist did nothing for it besides glasses. He said that it couldn't possibly be causing her reading issues because she could read a tiny letter in isolation. Her COVD optometrist dignosed her convergence & tracking issues from her eyes not working together properly, and in about 2 months of vision therapy (which her opthalmologist doesn't "believe" in--MDs and ODs run in different circles and read different studies, apparently), dd has moved up from refusing to read a single sentence in an easy reader (she would read no more than one word at a time unless she was forced, although she could read 4th grade words) to reading chapter books voluntarily (slowly, but still). The research supporting vision therapy is pretty strong especially for the correction of amblyopia-related issues (which is what our kids both have).

Agreeing to start with the optometrist. In my experience, too, they've been much more willing to admit their limitations and refer, whether to an opthalmologist or some other more appropriate professional, where starting with an opthalmologist, we had to backtrack to get the answers we needed.

I think it must depend on the doctor/optometrist. I took my ds to an optometrist for years, thinking it was enough. He has extremely poor vision, especially in one eye. The optometrist had him patch for 6 months & gave up, & that was after she'd been seeing him for two years. By then he was 8 & she said the patching didn't help because he was too old. So why didn't she patch him at 6? I don't know. My fil suggested I take him to an ophthalmologist, & I did (one who had a special interest in pediatric ophthalmology). He found that my ds's prescription was off by a lot & a lot & also recommended patching again, @ age 10. So far ds has gained 2 lines of vision from the patching. I wouldn't go to an optometrist for any serious eye issues again, but I realize my personal experience has made me biased. I'd ask around & see who others recommend in your area...& pay special attention to those who have significant eye issues. Just my 2 cents... :)

This is a third or a fourth for vision therapy via a COVD optometrist. My son had tracking issues and convergence insufficiency. We spent several months in vision therapy and he was pronounced cured at the end. His reading is much improved.

He has 20/20 vision, according to three different eye exams. The docs said his vision was fine, but I knew something was amiss. Once a friend told me about vision therapy, we found a COVD doc and got him diagnosed and into VT. Much better!!

best of luck,

christina