Menu

Freelance editing?

nearly 10 years ago when I did freelance editing full-time, this is what I charged:

$10-12/hour for proofreading

$15-20 for copyediting

$20-25 for substantive editing

haven't done it since, but those were fairly standard rates for someone with experience.

Obviously, I don't have much experience with this but if I'm just checking for mistakes and typos, and not content, then it's proofreading, right? What's the difference between that and copyediting and substantive editing?

When I charge $9.00 per 1,000 words it's for the whole shebang; both proofreading and substantive editing. I usually write up a 5 to 10 page essay going over the big stuff - holes in the plot, errors that are ongoing, ways to tighten up the story, etc.

I like to price it this way because there are no surprises. The client knows exactly what they'll pay (and I charge them half up front before I start working).

It probably works out to about $25 to $30 per hour for me.

Obviously, I don't have much experience with this but if I'm just checking for mistakes and typos, and not content, then it's proofreading, right? What's the difference between that and copyediting and substantive editing?

Copyediting is sentence-level editing: commas, minor errors, and rewording within the sentence.

Substantive editing is, well, more substantive ; ) and global. You might be suggesting that paragraphs be moved, seriously rewritten, etc. "We have the pieces here, but this part needs to be clarafied, and these parts need to be moved, so let's just take it apart and put it back together again."

The rates muffinmom quoted are what I am accustomed to as well.

Copyediting is sentence-level editing: commas, minor errors, and rewording within the sentence.

Substantive editing is, well, more substantive ; ) and global. You might be suggesting that paragraphs be moved, seriously rewritten, etc. "We have the pieces here, but this part needs to be clarafied, and these parts need to be moved, so let's just take it apart and put it back together again."

The rates muffinmom quoted are what I am accustomed to as well.

thanks for answering this, WTMCassandra. Clearly, I haven't been on the boards in the last few days. :blushing:

Curious: How did you all get started editing?

I realized at some point mid-college that I wanted to major in English, but I knew I didn't want to teach. Someone suggested editing/publishing to me as a career, and I knew that was perfect for me.

While trying to find an in-house publishing job, I rustled up free-lance jobs to get some hands-on experience. I literally went through the phone book and called every publishing house in town to see if I could be added to their pool of freelance editors. A few of them had mercy on me. Started me out proofreading. I built up from there. Eventually they were willing to try me on copyediting. I was able to work in-house as managing editor a few times, and that of course gave me a bigger picture of the whole process. By then, I was ready for substantive editing.

ETA: Obviously, you can edit for publishers that are not in your town. I just happen to live in a town full of publishing houses.