Menu

Hearing Test and a Van

So I went today for my audiology evaluation. The doctor was very nice. She has hearing loss herself (mild in one ear, severe in the other). She had a nice manner as she did the testing and then helped me understand that results (why I didn't ask for a copy of them is beyond me).

So the verdict, in the end, was that I'm borderline and might benefit from a hearing aid to clarify things and help me be a bit less frustrated.

We discussed options and went with the Oticon Intiga. I got the lilac as I figure it isn't seeable anyway and my glasses are purple and I thought my five year old would get a kick out of it.

So it takes awhile to actually get the hearing aid. And honestly, I'm APPALLED by the cost. I realize we chose an expensive one for me; but seriously, how would someone without insurance (btw, mine pays 100% with no max) get one at all? They certainly couldn't choose the one I did!

Anyway, so we left there and I went and picked out a new vehicle at my favorite CarMax. I am now the proud owner of a Kia Sedona EX, color red :)

I'm EXHAUSTED!

Edited by 2J5M9K

:grouphug:

Dh only has hearing aides because his parents pay for them. He does not get the top of the range! But thankfully he doesn't get the bottom either.

You might want to start looking into technology for the hard of hearing. I don't know who provides these things in the US, but captions for the telly if you don't have them and an amplifier for the phone might make life a bit more comfortable.

Do remember it is ok not to use your hearing aid if you don't want to just now.

Yay about the car :)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

question of the day - Is the norm to re-eval every year unless something concerning happens?

I would definitely get a yearly check with your audiologist. The aids can be adjusted if there is further change to your hearing.

Edited by Doodle

question of the day - Is the norm to re-eval every year unless something concerning happens?

Pretty typical for a full eval to happen every year, depending on the recommendation from the audiologist. If they suspect progressive or fluctuating loss, they may want to evaluate more frequently. They should always see you right away if you ever feel there is a change in hearing.

Hearing aids are insanely expensive! There is no way we could have afforded them for myself or the girls with out it (and I didn't have them for about 4 years because of the cost before we got insurance coverage that would buy them).

*LOVE* that you got lilac!! My new aids that I am currently waiting on are going to be translucent purple! :)

If you want more info on assistive technology, LMK! Also, since you are in the same area, if you are ever inclined to meet some others who live with hearing loss, we have a chapter of HLAA (Hearing Loss Association of America) that meets in Grapevine the first Saturday of the month.

I will give on caution and say it doesn't look like the aid recommended for you has a built-in manual control telecoil. Aids with t-coils give you much more flexibility for use with assistive technology and can be much more helpful than just on the phone. You and or the audiologist may not feel like you need them right now, but if your hearing loss progresses or you find they may be beneficial in certain situations and your aids don't have them, there is nothing you can do except purchase new aids. I have a more profound loss but I use my telecoils *a lot* and wish audiologists would take the time to explain the benefits to new hearing aid users.

Congrats on the new van, too!

I don't think I quite understand, even after trying a webpage, about the telecoil. From what I do understand, it does sound like it is something we may should have discussed though. We discussed circumstances such as tv and at the Kingdom Hall (what our "church" is called) and at assemblies. I'm not particularly worried about the KH as I've only had an issue a handful of times due to how a particular man's voice may sound (talks, like sermons, are given by someone different, usually from different congregations, each week). But assemblies can be a little harder. We usually sit in front of the speaker and as low as we can in the non-handicapped area. I didn't think of asking her about the radio broadcast for either the KH or assemblies. Now, there is technology (not sure I understand well enough to explain) for tv, landline, cell, ipod, etc. Here is the link regarding that: http://www.oticon.com/Consumers/Products/Hearing%20instruments/Intiga/~/link.aspx?_id=E493C8F061B449629D2DEDC1679C38A1&_z=z

Anyway, so my hope is that what we talked about as important, she addressed. Being as I can't really be more ignorant of how this all works, I kinda have to accept that. My confidence level is a little higher just in knowing she too has hearing loss AND has recently moved to the same hearing aid I'm getting (she presented another one to me also and that was the one she used to have).

But at this point, my hearing is just a little off so I think that what I got is definitely "enough." Obviously, if it progresses further, I may need to be more cognizant of various options.

*I* would have guessed that hearing aids were several hundred dollars. Maybe something like I chose would be $1200? Or maybe $2000 even. I guess I really *hadn't* thought about it. Never in a million years did I think I'd see numbers close to $30,000! Now, I realize that no one probably would pay that amount (even my insurance has a contracted amount AFTER a discount) as there are probably "cash prices" and such. But still...

I guess I feel odd about the idea of a community for hard of hearing when I am so mild of a situation.

I seriously considered a neutral color and since it probably will almost never show considering how much hair I have, why does it matter? But I did get "crazy" (for me) and get purple frames for my glasses. And I just knew how cool my 5yr old would think purple hearing aids would be.

Oh, something else that helped me connect with this lady is that she had a three year old. So I kinda felt she understood my needs surrounding my littles. My babies are going back to their mom Tuesday but my youngest after them is only 3 and has special needs. So I want to be able to hear and help him.

Okay, I'm rambling. This is all so new. It's weird.

Hubby had a hearing test (industrial) Monday. He is fine. Gonna have to work on that selective hearing.

ETA: I did ask her about my 3yr old (who has yet to "pass" a hearing test but has enough hearing for speech and language) as we had a lull in what we were doing. Obviously, she couldn't give too much information without having ever seen him. However, she asked a few questions and was able to give me some considerations so now I feel I have some thingss to discuss with his ENT and/or Audiologist (next two audiology appointments are in Dec and Feb).

Edited by 2J5M9K

Yes, the connect package enables you to use your aids with all those things you mentioned. I have the package, but without the microphone. I use it for the land line phone, my cell phone and for listening to the TV. Are your aids 15,000 a piece?!??:blink: Mine weren't nearly that much.

Doodle, It was almost $14K each plus some other cost. The BCBS discount was $7500 putting it over $22K on the contract. But the audiologist said that BCBS has a contracted amount so it won't be nearly that much. But yes, on paper, it was almost $30K! Nuts. I wonder what the cash price would be. Even 50% would be well over what anyone I know could pay. That is how much my van was!

Do an internet search for Oticon and you will see what the real cost of the aids are. I wonder if the inflated price was because you had insurance? My aids were $2800 each. I didn't get a fancy color for mine although my boy liked the red ones. No one knows I wear them. They are covered by my hair.

There is something about insurance. I know that the price of everything seems exaggerated and then there is a discount AND a contract price which makes things cost a fraction of the exaggerated amount. I'm sure there is some reason, but I can't imagine what it is if no one is actually paying it or receiving it.

Thanks for suggesting I look it up. It still is pretty expensive, but $4000 or $5000 is a lot better.

I am seriously questioning the price you were quoted. I wear top-of-the-line Oticons, albeit they are 3 years old, and back then list price was $6,000 per aid with the insurance contracted amount/cash pay discount price being around $3,000 per aid. The *highest* I have ever heard quoted for an aid (that wasn't made of gold or something ridiculous like that) was in the $4-6,000 range. I know you sound like you are pleased with the audiologist you saw, but based on that alone, I might consider getting a different opinion. You might even call Otiocon and ask what their MSRP is (I don't know if they would give that info out to a consumer, but it wouldn't hurt to ask). Additionally, did she spell out what all was included in the contracted price? Many times services for aids are "bundled" in the price so the inflated price includes all follow-up visits adjustments, etc for an extended period of time. Make sure you understand what all is included. It may work to you advantage to have bundled services if your insurance doesn't pay for the visits later, but it is not so great if you want to switch audiologists at some point (or the audiologist sells the practice and the new audi won't honor the contracts, which is what happened to me).

I mainly use telecoils with a neckloop at church and with my personal assisted listening system in large group settings. There are also a few venues that have room loops that will work with telelcoils, although I think/hope that number will be increasing because of new requirements in the reauthorized version of the ADA that goes into effect next year. My opinion is that there are plenty of great aids available that do have manual telecoils so why not offer them and if a user needs them they have them. Selling an aid without one doesn't even give a person the option and then if they do decide they want to use telelcoils later, they can't without incurring additional expense. And for that price, the aids ought to have every option available. :tongue_smilie:

I know you are in my area, so if you want to chat more, message me and I will send you my phone number.

I guess I feel odd about the idea of a community for hard of hearing when I am so mild of a situation.

The HOH community is for the culturally HOH and has very little to do with how minor your hearing loss is. You're not culturally hard of hearing so that community is probably not something you'd benefit from, really.

Rosie

The HOH community is for the culturally HOH and has very little to do with how minor your hearing loss is. You're not culturally hard of hearing so that community is probably not something you'd benefit from, really.

Rosie

Really HLAA is for people who are still living in hearing culture but trying to find a way with hearing loss. It is a great place to learn about all kinds of technology focused on using residual hearing. Unlike other groups where "deaf and hard of hearing" tends to really mean more "deaf", it is a group who do rely on listening and learning how to get by in the hearing world with less than good hearing.

Really HLAA is for people who are still living in hearing culture but trying to find a way with hearing loss. It is a great place to learn about all kinds of technology focused on using residual hearing. Unlike other groups where "deaf and hard of hearing" tends to really mean more "deaf", it is a group who do rely on listening and learning how to get by in the hearing world with less than good hearing.

Sorry. It means something different here :)

Rosie