Menu

NASA INSPIRE accepting more applicants

From an email we just received:

NASA INSPIRE Taking New Applications

Do you have friends at school who wish they could have joined you as a member of the INSPIRE Online Learning Community? Make sure they get this great news! Due to increased interest, NASA INSPIRE is excited to announce additional spaces have been made available in the NASA INSPIRE Online Learning Community. The applications will open on Wednesday, October 26, 2011, at 12 noon CT, and are due by November 9, 2011, at 12 noon CT, for all those interested in becoming INSPIRE OLC members. Click here https://inspire.okstate.edu/index.cfm?liftoff=login.LoginForm to go to the INSPIRE application site at https://inspire.okstate.edu.

Tell your friends to start preparing their application now by requesting an official transcript from their school. Remind them the official transcript must include their 2011 spring semester grades. The mailing address is provided on the application.

If your friends, their parents, or your teachers want to learn more about this exciting project, ask them to please visit INSPIRE's Application Website.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

The website now says that the program is on hold to due to lack of funding. We are almost done with the application. Should we continue with the application process anyway? Or stop and wait until the site says it is accepting applications again?

It seems like this happened very quickly, opening and then being put on hold the next day.

Thanks.

Denise

The website now says that the program is on hold to due to lack of funding. We are almost done with the application. Should we continue with the application process anyway? Or stop and wait until the site says it is accepting applications again?

It seems like this happened very quickly, opening and then being put on hold the next day.

Thanks.

Denise

I had no idea until I just read your post. They didn't send out an email revising their earlier one. I don't know what to suggest.

It's possible they are anticipating cuts as a result of the current budget negotiations. If the supercommittee deadlocks, then it triggers a bunch of automatic cuts in various departments. I know folks in the military are trying to figure out where their cuts will come from. I imagine that NASA is doing likewise.

• 5 months later...

I got the following email today:

Thank you for your interest in NASA INSPIRE!

The 2012-2013 NASA INSPIRE application continues to be on hold and due to funding issues, there will be no Summer STEM Experiences for 2012. Appropriations have impacted NASA, requiring the Office of Education to reduce funding while the education portfolio is redesigned.

Please visit the INSPIRE application website at https://inspire.okstate.edu for current project status.

Respectfully,

INSPIRE Project Office

===============

I have no idea if this program will restart in the future. (I know the budget cuts being worked by the military are deep. My family member working other space research issues is not sanguine.)

But you could still sign up at the website, and at least get updates as they come out.