Menu

MCT

Kathy G

I am hoping for some feedback on the MCT language arts curriculum. What makes it exciting? I have only seen sample pages online and it seems dry to me, yet I know people love it. If you have tried it or use it please let me know specifically what you like/don't like about it. I have a 10 yr old who may start to use it, but I hate to shell out that much money if it is dry. She loves language arts and reading, and I need to give her much more of a challenge than a regular curriculum. She is ready for some critical thinking components and needs less repetition.

Thanks!

I've only used Island, and it is anything but dry. With the exception of practice Island, it's narrative, silly, and very creative (things like writing stories to personify different stems in building language). There's very little repetition, except for applying skills in Practice island, and those 100 sentences spread through the entire curriculum once you get about 3/4 of the way through Grammar Island. DD is absolutely loving it. It's grammar taught for the purpose of writing, and writing well, and for the love of language, not grammar taught for the purpose of learning grammar.

Dd6 liked it so much she read the entire grammar island book the day it came in the mail. I definately don't think it's dry. I don't know that I would use it as a stand alone grammar curriculum. Others do but I prefer it as a supplement to fll3. I see it as kind of a bridge between grammar & writing.

Thanks!

How does the literature component fit in? I think I would start DD at level 2 which would be the Alice Peter and Mole literature book. She has read all three of these stories already, but it would be fine to read them again if there are more activities related to them in the other books. I notice the basic package doesn't have the APM book included so I am wondering if it is integrated. Also- we already own the three books. Is it of benefit to buy the MCT version specifically?

Thanks! I am slowly getting into this curriculum- watching the videos gave me a better idea. It is always hard when you can't see the books!

I had to go look up the literature materials because they weren't referenced in anything else I reviewed. I didn't buy them And there was no reference to them on the schedule sheet that came with the level one packet I purchased.

Maybe others haves used it but I don't recall anyone mentioning it recently. On the recommendation of several others here I'm planning to get the book "deconstructing penguins" to use for literary analysis. It's a lot less expensive so I'll try it first.

I have the literature (Alice, Peter, and Mole) right here.

The MCT versions of the books provide:

A very brief intro to the author

Definitions to unusual, outdated, difficult words in the footnotes

Notes on poetic elements within the text (a sidebar type box)*

Four-part analysis with comments for some of the sentences

*Example: "There were doors all round the hall, but they were all locked." is a quote from the book. MCT commented, "Carroll emphasizes the situation with a spondee, all locked, followed by a semicolon to stop the mind on the idea.

The teacher book has general comments about the program which discusses literature in four levels: preparing, reading, creative thinking, and writing. There are five vocabulary words seen in each book that are discussed. For each book, he provides his comments on the book, character quotations (you read the quote the student tries to figure out which character said that), creative questions and activities, writing practice (writing prompts), and suggestions for an MLA paper for those at that level. Some of the creative questions and activities and writing practice for Peter and Mole tie those books into the book(s) previously read.

There is no set schedule. I don't see the lack of a schedule as a negative. You can take your time reading the books and then do the questions/activities/writing at your own pace. The creative questions and activities would lend themselves well to discussion. The writing practice questions would also be discussed or written. You can do one, a few, or all of them. If you have a high school level student reading the books, you might assign an MLA paper (he mentions 3 page) for each book.

Edited by joannqn

I liked it. I used MCT LA last year with my oldest. My son did not like it and he loves language and words. We used all the components, but MCT brought moans and groans. I tried for awhile to make it work, but when I saw that he wasn't retaining with it either I dropped it. Grammar used to be one of his favorite things and he grew to dislike it. I'm not sure I can totally put my finger on why. I think the storyline was a little dry for him and he prefers a workbook style for grammar. Diagramming is also something very helpful to him. We are continuing to use the vocabulary portion of MCT. We are also using Excavating English from Ellen McHenry which he completely loves. I'll also use another MCT poetry book in a year or two. I chose MCT because of the writing/grammar and those portions were the least effective for us.

We started the Island level this year with DD8. It is a curl up on the couch with mom kind of thing for us. DD loves to read the books and reads ahead on her own, but when we are together we go a little slower and talk about things more. It was hard for me to go with this program as I am a workbook/schedule kind of gal for grammar, but DD absolutely loves it. We do just enough repetition on our own to make sure she remembers what she read, because the amount of repetition built into the curriculum is not enough for her. If you want less repetition and more critical thinking, this is the program for you. I can't say enough about how wonderful these books are and what a great fit they are for my whimsical, artsy little chick. Our budget is tight, but I have Town level and the Lit package at the top of the list for next year.