Menu

Is 5th grade too late to start a classical education?

QuirkyKidAcademy

We've been homeschooling for 13mos, concentrating on bringing up reading and math skills. We've come a long long way, but it hasn't been nearly as rigorous as a WTM education.

The time has come, now that he is nearly on grade level, to decide our next step: back to B&M school or continue homeschooling. (This would be next fall, not now. We still have some catching up to do in 4th grade.)

I can see how beginning with classical really trains a child, but how hard would it be to conform my less-than-motivated son to classical education?

Okay, now that it is in black and white, that sounds like a dumb question, but if you have any words of advice, I'm :bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear:.

Thanks!

I don't think it is too late at all.

Perhaps involving him in some of the curriculum choices might be helpful to getting his interest and curiosity piqued?

There are so many awesome things to do - it is finding time to do all of it!

Involve him as much as you can and maybe he will surprise you :)

I absolutely don't think it is 'too late' at all.

I strongly suggest you get SWB's audio lectures from PHP. Start with "The Joys of Classical Education" and also get the writing series, at least the one for elementary and middle school years.

There is a whole section in TWTM titled "starting in the middle"

I would start him next year in Ancients, year 1. 5th grade puts you right on track for that.

You can easily be a year behind with things like narration for history. Maybe just start him with narration next year?

Don't worry too much about being behind. Better to know that his skills are solid than racing to a goal. Slow and steady really do make the difference.

I absolutely don't think it is 'too late' at all.

I strongly suggest you get SWB's audio lectures from PHP. Start with "The Joys of Classical Education" and also get the writing series, at least the one for elementary and middle school years.

There is a whole section in TWTM titled "starting in the middle"

I would start him next year in Ancients, year 1. 5th grade puts you right on track for that.

You can easily be a year behind with things like narration for history. Maybe just start him with narration next year?

Don't worry too much about being behind. Better to know that his skills are solid than racing to a goal. Slow and steady really do make the difference.

:iagree:

TammyH, I'm newer at this than you are :), so no real advice but this:

Don't compare your son to children who have been classically homeschooling from the beginning. My son is very smart and in school (traditional private school) was at the top of his class. I pulled him out of school and over to TWTM "in the middle" and in some subjects he is WAY behind what many of the other WTMers his age are doing. This way of homeschooling is a whole 'nother ball of wax than traditional school, and a separate skill set- one that the child has to learn from the beginning no matter what age they are when they start it. He is "getting it" quickly, but I won't advance him until he actually possesses the skills- no matter how much it KILLS me that he is "behind". Slow and steady indeed do win the race!

We made the transition sometime during our first year of homeschooling (4th grade) because my schedule based on the ps requirements took us 1.5-2 hours a day. To help motivation, give your son some choices on books and even on how you do do the work--not all exercises have to be written. Get outside for nature study and for art as often as possible. Use a mix of auditory, visual and hands-on activities and games. My son went through a stage of being fascinated with Roman history. He did many hours of copywork from Cicero's orations wearing a tunic. He wore a toga (well--our clumsy imitation) for oral narrations and recitations.

I used a lot of Charlotte Mason ideas such as fairly short lessons, hand work, and going outdoors often especially in the first two or three years. I wouldn't worry about whether or not you are behind--it's more important to work steadily on a daily basis and focus on incremental improvement than to think you absolutely must complete something by a certain date. That will become more important in high school, but for now model your school on the Tortoise not the Hare. And, as a pp wrote slow and steady does win the race....;) My son is in college now, and making the transition from ps to hs and then to classical was worth it. ITA with the previous post about the importance of skills; take all the time you need. Once the skills are there the rest usually falls into place without a lot of effort.