Menu

Sheba Inu, anyone?

oooo there's an adorable Shiba who lives down the street from us. Very loyal dog, never on a leash and always right at his master's heel. They can nip kids' heels if they are under-excercised (the only reason we chose not to get one) but they sure are a beautiful breed. Very regal looking with that curly tail and they hold themselves with such poise. :D

My dog has this breed in him. He's half Shiba. He's VERY stubborn and I understand that's a characteristic of Shibas. They need strong humans in the household. We love our dog to death, but have had several training issues with him. He's a hunter and will chase birds and squirrels. Also, if he wants out of the yard he will work to get out- even if it means going right through the wooden fence boards. He bites and digs his way through. He used to jump over the fence, but we've figured out a way to stop it. I've never had a dog like him. He's like a cat indoors, but outside he turns into a crazed hunting dog.

I've heard they're a fairly difficult breed...pls do a lot of research before snapping one up.

I don't recall the details but they're very high-stress in certain situations. There should be plenty of breed info on the net.

eta: http://www.breederretriever.com/dog-breeds/210/shiba-inu.php

Though sometimes reserved around strangers, earning this dog’s respect will win affection. The Shiba Inu is usually good with children but does not tolerate mistreatment. Socialization as a puppy will instill patience and tolerance in the dog. It can be aggressive with other dogs, especially of the same sex, and while it can live with other pets if raised with them from puppyhood, the Shiba Inu is generally not to be trusted around small animals. Intelligent and independent, this breed can be difficult to train and may adopt a selfish and headstrong attitude.

[in the same article, they mention that they are heavy seasonal shedders and need regular brushing, even when not shedding.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiba_Inu

A distinguishing characteristic of the breed is the so-called "shiba scream". When sufficiently provoked or unhappy, the dog will produce a loud, high pitched scream. This can occur when attempting to handle the dog in a way that it deems unacceptable.[1][8][9] The animal may also emit a very similar sound during periods of great joy, such as the return of the owner after an extended absence, or the arrival of a favored human guest.

Edited by bbkaren

I've never had a Shiba Inu but my understanding is that they can be a challenging and somewhat aloof breed, and not a great choice for a casual dog owner. They need a leader who knows what (s)he is getting into. They are cute as a button, however :)

Our neighbor has two and they are SO CUTE! Just like little foxes. I don't have any experience with them other than "Oh my gosh! What is that!?! It's adorable!"

The neighbor did say they are wary of strangers and was very surprised that they took to my dh so fast. That could just be the particular animals though. He also completely confused my 6 year old by telling her they were Japanese dogs so they barked in Japanese. :D

Yikes, does not sound like a good family dog! This pup I met was so very handsome, and obviously smart smart smart. It was very calm when held - not crazy frisky like puppies typically are. I was also pleased at the estimated mature size, it's one that would be manageable for a house dog. These factors intrigued me but I'd never before heard of this breed. At least now I know how to spell it right!

Thanks for your input, I'll keep looking.