Menu

on the road food ideas needed

hummus

yogurt

muffins (healthy ones!)

applesauce cups

other fruit

nuts

cereal (plus individual boxes of milk, if you like)

cut veg - peppers, carrots

pasta salad

cold pizza (with veggies!)

mini-quiches

stuffed pastry of various kinds - like take store-bought roll of buttermilk biscuits, spread them out, put scoop of filling inside, top with another biscuit, crimp edges, bake. Filling can be chicken with cheese and veggies, for example.

definitely hard boiled eggs.

buy or make your own bread, roll it out into a rectangle, cover half with sliced provolone and mozzarella, cover over and seal, top with egg whites and garlic powder, bake, serve. This is a favorite when we entertain

cans of tuna/turkey/chicken, mayo, seasoning of choice, bread

many hotels have microwaves for heating, but you could also bring a crockpot. Good for chili, spaghetti and sausage/meatballs, stew, etc.

We don't really eat healthy when we are on the road...we usually have trail mix, beef jerky, little debbie snacks and granola bars.

I have found that eating healthy on the road helps keep everyone in a good mood, energetic (but not hyper), alert when needed (driver!), and free of assorted tummy troubles. It takes a while to get into the swing of it, but it is easier as you do it more, and as the infrastructure (like truck stops) gets better at offering healthy options.

It helps to have a large cooler. Bring along some large zip-loc bags - these can be filled with ice from a hotel ice machine, or you can get ice anywhere they sell sodas in cups. Also, bring an assortment of plastic ware - spoons and such - so you can buy groceries on the road and have the means to eat them.

Muffins can be made ahead of time and frozen; as they defrost they help other things stay cool. We like a low-fat banana muffin with walnuts; it gives some protein and a large piece is almost a meal; chocolate chips make it also a treat.

Hummus does well with sketchy refrigeration. Throw some bread in the bread machine the night before to dip. Add a bit of cheese and some fruit to make it a meal.

I have a little cutting board and a sheath knife that I keep in the cooler. (I cut the board out of the corner of one of those thin cutting boards; a friend was throwing it away because the center of it was thrashed. I cut the small one to be the right size to fit into my favorite lunch box.) I can throw apples in the cooler before I leave, and cut them up in the car. Add some peanut butter for protein, again, it's a meal.

Water bottles are key. We all have reusable ones, and I get everyone to fill one (or two) before a trip. That makes drinks easy, cheap and healthy.

To buy food on the road, bypass the fast food joints and stop at a supermarket or, if you must, truck stop. The truck stops will have fruit (bananas) and nuts (pistachios) and sometimes decent sandwiches. Truckers can't eat junk all day every day. Supermarkets will have yogurt, individual apple sauce or fruit cups (choose unsweetened versions), crackers, cheese, peanut butter, fresh fruit, raisins, bakery bread, deli meats, and increasingly better to-go food selections.

We have some good sandwich shops nearby; sometimes we will plan ahead and stop there in the morning and stock up on lunch/dinner foods (hoagies!) for later in the day. We find the choices are healthier at our local shop than at a random road stop. Again, the cooler comes in handy here.

We also sometimes use Google to find good restaurants along the way, if we will be eating dinner out. It's a gamble, of course, but sites like TripAdvisor have lots of reviews. It's a good way to find restaurants that cater to special diets as well - GF or vegan or whatever. You have to do your research ahead of time, but if it's somewhere you will visit more than once, the time is well-spent. A GPS is your friend when it comes to routing to the place. We avoid chain restaurants and seek out the places where they serve quality food, cooked from scratch. We've had some amazing meals, usually cheaper than the chains.

So next time you travel, think about putting down the Little Debbie and picking up some healthy options! The more often you do it, the easier it will get.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

our favorites are snack packs of:

celery, baby carrots, bell pepper sticks, and snap peas

grapes and blueberries

granola

cheese and salami cubes

pretzels and goldfish

dried apples, cranberries, and raisins

and the storebought cups of:

mixed fruit

mandarin orange

peaches

I have found that eating healthy on the road helps keep everyone in a good mood, energetic (but not hyper), alert when needed (driver!), and free of assorted tummy troubles. It takes a while to get into the swing of it, but it is easier as you do it more, and as the infrastructure (like truck stops) gets better at offering healthy options.

It helps to have a large cooler. Bring along some large zip-loc bags - these can be filled with ice from a hotel ice machine, or you can get ice anywhere they sell sodas in cups. Also, bring an assortment of plastic ware - spoons and such - so you can buy groceries on the road and have the means to eat them.

Muffins can be made ahead of time and frozen; as they defrost they help other things stay cool. We like a low-fat banana muffin with walnuts; it gives some protein and a large piece is almost a meal; chocolate chips make it also a treat.

Hummus does well with sketchy refrigeration. Throw some bread in the bread machine the night before to dip. Add a bit of cheese and some fruit to make it a meal.

I have a little cutting board and a sheath knife that I keep in the cooler. (I cut the board out of the corner of one of those thin cutting boards; a friend was throwing it away because the center of it was thrashed. I cut the small one to be the right size to fit into my favorite lunch box.) I can throw apples in the cooler before I leave, and cut them up in the car. Add some peanut butter for protein, again, it's a meal.

Water bottles are key. We all have reusable ones, and I get everyone to fill one (or two) before a trip. That makes drinks easy, cheap and healthy.

To buy food on the road, bypass the fast food joints and stop at a supermarket or, if you must, truck stop. The truck stops will have fruit (bananas) and nuts (pistachios) and sometimes decent sandwiches. Truckers can't eat junk all day every day. Supermarkets will have yogurt, individual apple sauce or fruit cups (choose unsweetened versions), crackers, cheese, peanut butter, fresh fruit, raisins, bakery bread, deli meats, and increasingly better to-go food selections.

We have some good sandwich shops nearby; sometimes we will plan ahead and stop there in the morning and stock up on lunch/dinner foods (hoagies!) for later in the day. We find the choices are healthier at our local shop than at a random road stop. Again, the cooler comes in handy here.

We also sometimes use Google to find good restaurants along the way, if we will be eating dinner out. It's a gamble, of course, but sites like TripAdvisor have lots of reviews. It's a good way to find restaurants that cater to special diets as well - GF or vegan or whatever. You have to do your research ahead of time, but if it's somewhere you will visit more than once, the time is well-spent. A GPS is your friend when it comes to routing to the place. We avoid chain restaurants and seek out the places where they serve quality food, cooked from scratch. We've had some amazing meals, usually cheaper than the chains.

So next time you travel, think about putting down the Little Debbie and picking up some healthy options! The more often you do it, the easier it will get.

Yeah a road trip or 2 a year and a little debbie snack once or twice a year...I'm good with it...thanks anyway :blink:

We make mini-wrap sandwiches with corn tortillas that I've fried in oil, or flour tortillas. I put out a mixture of toppings, each child makes up as many as he/she thinks they need, roll them up, take two or three bottles of dressings or condiments along so you can top it off at the stop instead of letting the tortilla get soggy from too many hours soaking with dressing, and place inside ziploc baggies.

I second the hard boiled eggs. Those are really convenient.

Faith