Menu

We saw Gerda Weissmann Klein tonight. Amazing.

We won't be studying the Holocaust until later this year, but when I saw that Gerda Weissmann Klein, a Holocaust survivor, was going to be speaking at a local university, I knew that we had to go. Dh & I gave dd a crash course about the Holocaust so that she'd have a bit of background knowledge before the talk. We got front-row seats to minimize distractions. (this worked very well) Afterwards, we bought one of her books and got it signed for dd. The woman in the photo with them is a local teacher who teaches students about the Holocaust and has befriended Gerda. If you get a chance, go see her.

post-12282-13535085610333_thumb.jpg

post-12282-13535085610333_thumb.jpg

We won't be studying the Holocaust until later this year, but when I saw that Gerda Weissmann Klein, a Holocaust survivor, was going to be speaking at a local university, I knew that we had to go. Dh & I gave dd a crash course about the Holocaust so that she'd have a bit of background knowledge before the talk. We got front-row seats to minimize distractions. (this worked very well) Afterwards, we bought one of her books and got it signed for dd. The woman in the photo with them is a local teacher who teaches students about the Holocaust and has befriended Gerda. If you get a chance, go see her.

I am so delighted that you had the opportunity to meet a person who experienced the Holocaust. It will not be all that long before all the first hand witnesses are dead.

I am so delighted that you had the opportunity to meet a person who experienced the Holocaust. It will not be all that long before all the first hand witnesses are dead.

That's the main reason that we went last night. To hear from someone who was in her teens when it all started...she really remembers things. Before long, the only survivors will be people who were very young...and soon, no survivors. Gerda said she's going to keep giving talks as long as she can so that she can tell the stories of those who died, since they didn't get the chance. She had a knee replacement and got a pacemaker just 8 weeks ago.

What a wonderful experience!

My dd is in VA in order to work with this man:

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/news/cdp-news-local/2009/feb/01/performer_instructor_survivor-ar-72717/

His stories are amazing.

Wow. What an opportunity for her!

What a fantastic opportunity! The boys and I just finished her book. It was powerful. She is an amazing woman.

And some say it never happened ;( My dad was able to introduce Corrie Ten Boom once; I always thought that was cool. It's amazing what people went through, and then chose to be happy with the rest of their lives. It's amazing what one person can do to another.. or another group of people. The Sunflower is an amazing book, as well. Many accounts of this horrible time, have been written. ;(