Menu

Getting into the English world of horses...advice?

I have ridden a long time. We've owned horses for almost 13 years keeping them mostly on our properties that we've owned. I mostly trail ride and enjoy that. My horses are trained to neck and direct rein amongst other things, so switching disciplines wouldn't be too hard. I have attended English type shows and such when I was younger though as a groom for my friend. My parents didn't have the money for lessons...

My daughter wants to start jumping and possibly dressage work. I wanted her to start this with her pony, but he is not really a suitable mount right now to start with. I have to do some retraining and you know kids, they don't like to wait. I have a personal mount that could totally do jumping. Nice and tall, not skittish, got some spunk and he's almost push button trained. He's not got a mean bone in him. He's just 'big' to her at 16.1 hands! :tongue_smilie:

Anyways..any words of advice to a mom getting into this 'world', lol? Things to start with? Clothing requirements that we would need ? I tend to stay away from cheap things as I'd rather resell than throw away. Equipment?

Thanks!

The Principles of Riding is a really good handbook for dressage, but might be a little tricky to understand at first. Cross-Train Your Horse and Lessons with Lendon are both good dressage books that are a bit more beginner friendly.

For jumping Hunter Seat Equitation by George Morris is very good. Oh, and the 101 xxxxx Exercises books are very good too.

Also, I agree that British horse magazines are great.:001_smile:

Well, how much money do you have to spend on this enterprise? ;) You can probably get by quite economically, but if she gets "serious," well, the sky is the limit money-wise. I mean, a nice Hermes saddle which you can sit in ALL day without your butt getting sore is around $3K these days, I think.

Let her try the big horse a few times. Ride him around, let him step and then hop-jump some poles at a trot. Maybe she'll get over the height issue, and get used to his big feel. He sounds very nice. :) I rode a 16.3h at one time and he was very nice. Just a matter of getting used to the long stride and how much power was under there. But, I did start with a 14.3 pony, so I understand the intimidation.

If she's just riding at home on your properties:

Paddock boots

Chaps (with or without fringe--I'm sure there's a trend now)

English saddle of course, Crosby is a good brand but I'm sure there are others. If she wants to do dressage and jumping, you might want some type of crossover/eventing saddle.*

Small poles and jumps

A hunt cap*

If she wants to show:

Hunt cap

Jodhpurs

Hunt boots (the tall black ones)

Rat catcher shirt

Wool or polyester hunt coat*

Whatever show tack is needed (nice saddle blanket, etc)

Of course show fees, transportation to/from show, etc.

Let her try the big horse a few times. Ride him around, let him step and then hop-jump some poles at a trot. *Maybe she'll get over the height issue, and get used to his big feel. He sounds very nice. :) I rode a 16.3h at one time and he was very nice. Just a matter of getting used to the long stride and how much power was under there. But, I did start with a 14.3 pony, so I understand the intimidation.*

Let her join you in training the pony. It will be invaluable experience if she sticks with riding in the long run.*

PS Can't believe George Morris is STILL the standard. Wow! ;) I rode hunter/jumper and equitation and some 3-day eventing and he was the thing 20+ years ago! Some things never change. Guess he was younger than than I thought. But, that's how it is when you're young, everybody else is "old."

Let her try the big horse a few times. Ride him around, let him step and then hop-jump some poles at a trot. Maybe she'll get over the height issue, and get used to his big feel. He sounds very nice. :) I rode a 16.3h at one time and he was very nice. Just a matter of getting used to the long stride and how much power was under there. But, I did start with a 14.3 pony, so I understand the intimidation.

I agree! My parents bought me my first horse when I was 12 and she was a 16.1 hand Thoroughbred.

I would start with some lessons and join 4H if you can. A great way to learn a lot at a reasonable price.

If they have any used Tack Sales in your area that would be a nice place to get good used stuff at reasonable prices. Otherwise lesson barns and craigs list might have good stuff as well.

I very good helmet and a jumping vest (chest protector) would be a must.

Is the horse trained in English riding and jumping or just suitable for it? Makes a big difference. If not trained, I would find a good trainer to work with the horse and your daughter together if she wants to really get serious.

I guess it depends on if she wants to just ride around in an English saddle and hop over a few cross rails once in a while or if she wants to do dressage and/or a hunter/jumper circuit.

She's almost 5'2". Pretty tall and Napoleon is 12.2 hands on a good day, lol.

We've got a nice GFS Fieldhouse all purpose saddle for her. So far she loves it. Chaps and a helmet were purchased. A vest is being looked into as are paddock boots.

Jeaux is a pretty well trained horse. The biggest thing I've been working on with him is consistently picking up his flying lead changes. He's a been there and done that kind of boy and has done some jumping on the trails, but needs to see ring jumps more. He would do well with a little practice.

DD and I are building jump standards here shortly. Good winter project while we work on her skills with Jeaux.

For now I think some basic jumping is what she wants to do. From there I'll see what she thinks. I won't be buying show equipment yet until she really wants to get going. We've got some local 4-H clubs that I'm going to look into. She just needs a place to do some fun stuff as she already knows how to take care of horses and such. She's been doing that for some time now.

Okay, it sounds like both would be decent options. We have on 4her who has shown her beloved smallish pony for years. She always looks a little large on here, but they consistently win high point in the pony divisions at state and champion at the class A shows. Really, it is the fact that they are in the pony division that affords them this luxury. :D

how exciting for you dd!!!

Depending on how high she wants to jump...if she wants to go higher then a bigger horse is a better option. As far as I know, English is much more expensive than western....here is what we have paid

English Close Contact saddle--$1200

Charles Owen Helmet--$175

Ariat or Tailored Sportsmen breeches--$100 and $285 respectively

Ariat Tall Field Boots--$285--she also has a pair that cost $900 but doesn't wear them as much

Horse--16.2 hand Thoroughbred gelding--$1400 (cheap but his old owner had NO idea what this horse is capable of doing, we got a GREAT deal on him)

I named the brands of the tack and clothing that we have on purpose becauase in the hunter/jumper world around here anyway, brand names are VERY IMPORTANT sadly. Now granted my daughter shows so if your daughter isn't interested in that then none of that stuff matters....also an all purpose saddle is not the right kind if she is going to jump and if she is not going to do eventing then an eventing saddle is not the way to go...neither is a dressage saddle. If she were my daughter I would get her used to riding the bigger horses. She's probably going to grow more (can't remember how old she is) and the bigger horses do better over the bigger jumps IMO anyway. Of course, the bigger jumps will come in time. Around here bigger kids on ponys get frowned upon for some reason.

Journey, her saddle, I was told, has enough in the knee rolls for smaller jumping and hacking around in. I am totally seeing the price hike in the English goods. I ride mostly in Aussie tack and though it can be pricey, it's not like the English stuff (and you seem to need a whole lot more of it lol). Oh and she's almost 14.

This is her saddle, though not her saddle pad. She loves it and seems to go fine in it over smaller jumps.

post-32706-13535085609564_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535085609564_thumb.jpg

My good friend is cleaning up in her local shows in a Wintec dressage saddle-name and dollar signs don't always mean success. I see scads of used quality saddles used both for show and just riding and they do just fine. I wouldn't pay $900 for a pair of boots for a growing kid if my life depended on it! But winning ribbons isn't remotely important to me so I'm coming from a different place.

Just know that it doesn't have to be expensive At All. A good used AP saddle can be had for $400, in fact I think I have a friend listing one for sale right now. Breeches can be found on sale, boots the same.

www.tacktrader.com

That Chronicle of the Horse page has a forum that is very knowledgable and you could get a lot of good info there. Saddle quality, saddle fit, best prices and places for gear and even suggest trainers and show prep. For where you are starting from it's the best possible source of info.

Both jumping and dressage are NOT things you can do to a higher level with just any horse. You can start with the horses you have but if you stay with it you may need to find a jumper with a natural tuck and talent to jump or a dressage horse with the conformation that can make him/her successful. That small horse could be a better natural jumper than the tall and the tall horse might be built better for dressage. It's not a size thing.

Ditto. The ladies there can be mean, but they are dang serious about their dressage and jumping.

My very best advice to you is to connect with a trainer that you trust. You could even ask on the Chronicles of the Horse for a referral in your area. Ask other parents. Don't commit too soon. Your trainer is going to have a big impact on your daughter's life. This person will guide you into necessary purchases, including the horse. (Another reason why you have to find a person who won't snooker you!)

I think this is a wonderful path. It's an expensive path; but if you can do it, it's wonderful.

"dollar signs don't always mean success"--not quite sure where I said dollar signs don't always mean success--obviously they don't but in the hunter/jumper world here....name brands definately stand out and are what people look for. My daughter is done growing and neither would i pay $900 for a growing child's riding clothes. If someone is seriously into horseshowing then yes, it is expensive...hence the term...sport of kings....if you know of an inexpensive way to be in the horse show world, do tell because I would LOVE to find ways to save money in this sport. As for Chronicle....there are many, many people on there and every single one of them have different opinions and as others have said...some of them can be brutal...ask me how I know! Just make this as fun and most importantly as safe as you can for your daughter (I know you will). This is such a wonderful, exiciting sport!

I am going to suggest you invest in this set of books for you and dd. You will both learn alot, and if there is a Pony Club in the area I would join. http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Pony-Manual-Horsemanship/dp/0876059523/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318886544&sr=8-1

Pony Club is based on the three day event, so jumping and dressage. :D

As to getting the bigger horse ready. One of my favorite green hunter exercises is working on tempo and straightness. Set 3 trot poles at X either down the center line or on the figure eight. Riding at a nice forward trot make sure horse can maintain tempo and straightness through the ground poles. Eventually, the horse will know to keep himself perpendicular to the fence, particularly important in a series (gymnastic).

If it feels like you are riding a wet noodle and you are having to really hold him straight, move the poles to the outside track of the arena so he can use the fence as a boundary. Move these around, ride them from varying directions. After you ride through the poles with forward action ask the horse to stop straight and back 3-4 steps, Straight!

Most of this goes out the window when you switch to jumpers :tongue_smilie:, but as I learned from Beezie Madden, "The foundation of a great jumper is a beautiful hunter."

Take your time and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Depending on how high she wants to jump...if she wants to go higher then a bigger horse is a better option. As far as I know, English is much more expensive than western....here is what we have paid

English Close Contact saddle--$1200

Charles Owen Helmet--$175

Ariat or Tailored Sportsmen breeches--$100 and $285 respectively

Ariat Tall Field Boots--$285--she also has a pair that cost $900 but doesn't wear them as much

Horse--16.2 hand Thoroughbred gelding--$1400 (cheap but his old owner had NO idea what this horse is capable of doing, we got a GREAT deal on him)

I named the brands of the tack and clothing that we have on purpose becauase in the hunter/jumper world around here anyway, brand names are VERY IMPORTANT sadly. Now granted my daughter shows so if your daughter isn't interested in that then none of that stuff matters.....

All of this is why I said "dollar signs don't always mean success" because you listed a bunch of expensive stuff that seemed to imply that it WAS necessary for success?

I do know someone (in person and on COTH, no less) that shows competitively in dressage for much less money that you're talking here. For her first few shows she even leased her high boots from a local tack shop. She's also the one riding a Wintec. I know some high level people in the horse world and know pretty well that it can be as pretentious and expensive as you want to go. Or not. :D

Another friend is selling two jumping saddles, a Stubben for $500 and Passier for $6oo. I see used Crosby's and Stubbens for $300 all the time online. I was pricing breeches last week and for a young kid they could be found for $20-100. A troxel helmet is $50-80. Boots can be found in the $100-150 for show, $30-50 for paddock boots. All of those can be found second-hand for a fraction of all that.

OP wasn't even talking about showing, she was talking about riding. So I didn't want her to think that she needed to spend your kind of money on the start-up of her interest in riding english. Higher level show situation was apples to her schooling level interest in english oranges.

OP I also was going to tell you that english riders ride with a lot more contact and leg than trail/western riders. Your horses would want to get comfortable with the different feel and training.

You can find great deals on tack!!! I bought dd's Antill close contact (older model before they sold out to argentina) very similar to a Crosby for .38cents on ebay. The thing was hardly used. There was a shipping problem so that was refunded, I originally was going to pay $11. :D

All schooling breeches have been picked up for around 5-10 bucks from tack dealers at larger shows.

Buy used!

I am slightly jealous. My dd wants to show western pleasure and hunter under saddle. Not my specialty!!!! :tongue_smilie: Although recently she has started jumping her Arab, so who knows maybe there is hope.

Have you seen how much a western pleasure show saddle is?!!!! ;)

CG2...if it was my daughter and she was thinking of both jumpers and dressage i would suggest that she pick one and be the best at that that she can be. as we know, jumpers and dressage are two totally different things that need totally different tack. I'm not sure what is more popular in your area but i can tell you that dressage horses are much more difficult to find than jumpers. Well I say that, the most popular choice for dressage horses around here are warmbloods and they can be very pricey and sometimes dicey....if you live near a racetrack it is always a good bet (no pun intended) that you will be able to find a pretty nice ex-racer that can be turned into a cute children's hunter or hunter or jumper....we have racetrack around here and we could go down there anytime and find a handful of free horses...BUT....you would need a trainer who is familiar with ex-race horses. Both of ours are ex-racers and they have given us so much of themselves and they have taught my girls and me SO much! Again, whatever your daughter chooses to do...pleasure riding or showing just make sure she's safe and having fun!

Western pleasure saddles are rediculous! They hurt my eyes looking at them with all the silver :001_huh:. I much prefer the older ones with a little less bling :tongue_smilie:

A little back story on Jeaux: this horse is 14 now. Was trained extensively by my best friend who recently passed away. She started and trained horses at a large show barn in our area when she was younger She left both her horses to me (I now have 4). I have ridden him the last 10 years. Her other horse is a western pleasure horse also trained by her, but definitely in a western style. He can such a nice slow smooth lope. Jeaux was trained in more of an english way though which makes DD starting on him good. He also mostly goes bitless. He will even ride nicely in a halter, :D. He can certainly ride in a bit, but not until I assure she has light hands. He is quite responsive and I don't want to mess that up.

Tomorrow I'm going to take pictures of he and DD and get some small videos. She is mainly wanting to jump so we are only sticking to that right now. She is I'm looking into pony clubs now because it seems all we have for 4-H is western type clubs and I've never really been into that. I will look at that forum and see if there are any trainers in our area after I get her basics down. That stuff I can do. Oh and Jeaux can go straight all day if I need him to. Back straight too. My friend was very particular when it came to training. She helped me train my first horse and oversaw me train my second one (the 5 year old I have-though I'll be sending him out for more advanced stuff before too long).

I won't be delving near into spending too much right now. I found that my paddock boots fit her today. Yay for that! I won't worry about hunt boots until she gets really serious. I do plan on exchanging her new helmet for a better one, she's been riding in my nice one, fits her good too, so that helped me find her a better one. My main concerns are a good helmet, a safety vest, paddock boots and a solid saddle. I've got all but one now.

Thanks for the exercise tips. We are going to be setting some things up here shortly. Right now she's working on the lunge line, no reins, balancing, working on leg aids, all that good ground work for the two of them. I thought she'd be more timid of him than she seems to be, but she was great today, even asked him for a canter on the line which she sat well in that slick english saddle, lol. I always feel I'm on a postage stamp riding in it, :tongue_smilie:.

If any of you are looking for saddles feel free to contact my friend Jill. She does saddle fitting in all disciplines, refurbishes and will find saddles for you specific to your needs. PM me for her details.

Edited by CountryGirl2

Guest submarines

I am reading here with so much interest and apprehension. DD wants to ride English and is talking about jumping. I don't even have a horse! I met a horse up close for the first time 2 years ago. At least it seems like a slower sport in terms of progression, so I probably have at least a couple of years before I'd really need to think about either leasing a horse, or moving into the country and buying one (as DD imagines).

Any words of wisdom for a horseless parent of a horse crazy girl? :001_huh:

I am reading here with so much interest and apprehension. DD wants to ride English and is talking about jumping. I don't even have a horse! I met a horse up close for the first time 2 years ago. At least it seems like a slower sport in terms of progression, so I probably have at least a couple of years before I'd really need to think about either leasing a horse, or moving into the country and buying one (as DD imagines).

Find a good stable. That can take time. Look for a pony club or active 4h horse group.

When you get closer to her taking lessons, feel free to pm me with trainer questions. I am very particular and a have a few pet peeves about the type of trainer I will let my own dd ride with ;)

Breeches, paddock boots, half chaps, and a good helmet are a good start. Helmet and boots are essential.

After that it is her own saddle, do not bother with a bridle till she has her own horse. Once she takes the plunge and really wants her own horse start with an on farm 1/2 or full lease. Honestly, you could do this indefinetly and never actually buy her her own.

Good luck!

Leasing is an excellent option for getting started.

I always wanted to move to the country when I was a little girl. My dad would play along with me. He actually bought land. He actually drew up house plans. And I actually did get my horse. :001_wub: But, alas, we never moved to the country.

However, my dh made that dream come true. My dh (dear horse) lives in my backyard, and it's a total blast having him nearby.

Even if you can't make this dream come true, it's never too late. :)

Guest submarines
Find a good stable. That can take time. Look for a pony club or active 4h horse group.

When you get closer to her taking lessons, feel free to pm me with trainer questions. I am very particular and a have a few pet peeves about the type of trainer I will let my own dd ride with ;)

Breeches, paddock boots, half chaps, and a good helmet are a good start. Helmet and boots are essential.

After that it is her own saddle, do not bother with a bridle till she has her own horse. Once she takes the plunge and really wants her own horse start with an on farm 1/2 or full lease. Honestly, you could do this indefinetly and never actually buy her her own.

Good luck!

She's taking lessons, I need to PM you urgently :D. I know nothing of trainers. Do you mean for her horse, or trainer as in 'instructor'?

Guest submarines
Leasing is an excellent option for getting started.

I always wanted to move to the country when I was a little girl. My dad would play along with me. He actually bought land. He actually drew up house plans. And I actually did get my horse. :001_wub: But, alas, we never moved to the country.

However, my dh made that dream come true. My dh (dear horse) lives in my backyard, and it's a total blast having him nearby.

Even if you can't make this dream come true, it's never too late. :)

Awww, so sweet about your DHs! :D

House plans! I can see DH doing that.

Guest submarines
Trainer as in instructor :D Sorry, I can be a bit old school in my titles. ;)

No, no, it's me. I'm still trying to figure out horse related terminology. :001_huh:

It was only yesterday that I figured out how to pronounce 'breeches' :lol:

Good luck!

I second the advice of finding a good stable. I worked at one for a while before I even bought my first horse.

My DH as well made that a reality. This is a city boy who chooses to live in the country with me so that I can have my horses. Who didn't even blink an eye when my best friend told me that she was leaving her horses to me (ok, maybe he twitched a little when I told him :tongue_smilie:). I know own four and it's fun.

Simka, please email me your particulars in what is a good trainer. I do not want to find out the hard way once I start looking-there are enough bad ones out there. I've not had to find trainers as my neighbor did that for us and she was kind, fair, and firm with horse and rider. I do know of some things that I would not like to see, but someone with some insider info would be helpful.

On to todays lesson in a little while. We'll see how sore she is from yesterday :tongue_smilie:. Even though Jeaux is very responsive, he's a lot of horse to move.

Lots of others have more experience than I do in this area. I just pleasure ride/trail ride and my daughter does 4H.

I would say though that one of the best things that my friend did for my daughters when they were just getting started was have them help with all of the barn chores in addition to riding. They had to brush the horses, help feed, haul hay, fill water, SCOOP POOP, etc. It helped them learn just how much work is involved in the proper care of a horse.

I agree that leasing or at least having your horse at a barn with an experienced horse person to start is generally a good idea. You can learn the ins and outs of horse care, medical care, etc. with some experienced guidance.

4H has been great here and a great deal cheaper than lessons at a formal stable. Our 4H leader will lease out 1-3 of her personal horses a year for 4H kids without their own horses. It is $100/month but you only pay for May-August so $400/year where boarding (no lessons) can run $250-400+/month just for the horse). You also get lessons on the horse and 4H club experience.

4H is more lower level showing but a great way to get started in the horse world and figure out the time demands as well.

I also highly recommend 4H to Pony Club. When we looked into pony club for my daughter it was SUPER expensive and she had to have her own horse, which at the time she did not. Also, they go (at least around here) to events that are very far from our home and they discouraged the parents from going. My serious rider daughter is 17 and owns two horses and I still will not leave her even at our own barn, while she's riding so there was no way that i would let her go to events far from home without me, with a horse. 4H is so laid back and is a great place to start. As for helmets, I would recommend a Troxel. They are inexpensive and have been rated very highly. Ebay is a great place to look for clothing and the essentials. I totally agree wiht Oatakee (probably spelled wrong) when she says to get the girls into the down and dirty stuff. The actual riding time should be a reward in my opinion. There is so much to horses and horse ownership and most of it isn't fun or pretty--cleaning stalls, picking up the manure in the pastures (we do that I'm not sure if everyone does!)...picking out dirty, stinky feet, keeping the barn clean...so much responsibility can be taught in this sport. Also I don't agree with whoever mentioned getting a saddle when the girls get a little older. I would recommend getting a saddle if and when you buy a horse....saddle fit on a horse is so much more important that saddle fit on a person and saddles are not a one size fits all (horse and rider) thing. We looked for about 6 months to find a saddle that fit my string bean daughter and huge shouldered horse.

Also I don't agree with whoever mentioned getting a saddle when the girls get a little older. I would recommend getting a saddle if and when you buy a horse....saddle fit on a horse is so much more important that saddle fit on a person and saddles are not a one size fits all (horse and rider) thing. We looked for about 6 months to find a saddle that fit my string bean daughter and huge shouldered horse.

I totally agree with this. If you decide to lease a horse longer term then it is worth getting your own saddle but realize that even if it fits this horse, it might not fit the next horse and you will be shopping again. Wintec makes an adjustable saddle which does fit more horses but again, won't fit all of them.

Saddle fit for the horse is key to good performance, comfort, soundness, and overall mood.

I totally agree with this. If you decide to lease a horse longer term then it is worth getting your own saddle but realize that even if it fits this horse, it might not fit the next horse and you will be shopping again. Wintec makes an adjustable saddle which does fit more horses but again, won't fit all of them.

Saddle fit for the horse is key to good performance, comfort, soundness, and overall mood.

Exactly. Saddles are very important and make the difference in a horses behavior. Wintecs are good for more fitting options, but until you actually buy a horse, tack shouldn't be necessary.

I have bought and sold saddles as I've bought and sold horses. Luckily I have my Aussie that fits both of my main horses and we have a custom made one that my friend had for her older horse and now DD has one that fits her pony and Jeaux. We've been lucky now to have three horses of similar build.

Use lesson tack that the stable provides for each horse. At the barn where I worked, there were horses names posted above the appropriate tack in the tack room so the students knew what to use.

And children should know that riding is more than just being on the back of a horse. The animal itself is important and needs to be cared for. My daughter helps take care of all of our horses and solely takes care of her pony (getting my help as needed).

Edited by CountryGirl2

I second the advice of finding a good stable. I worked at one for a while before I even bought my first horse.

My DH as well made that a reality. This is a city boy who chooses to live in the country with me so that I can have my horses. Who didn't even blink an eye when my best friend told me that she was leaving her horses to me (ok, maybe he twitched a little when I told him :tongue_smilie:). I know own four and it's fun.

Simka, please email me your particulars in what is a good trainer. I do not want to find out the hard way once I start looking-there are enough bad ones out there. I've not had to find trainers as my neighbor did that for us and she was kind, fair, and firm with horse and rider. I do know of some things that I would not like to see, but someone with some insider info would be helpful.

On to todays lesson in a little while. We'll see how sore she is from yesterday :tongue_smilie:. Even though Jeaux is very responsive, he's a lot of horse to move.

This is my dh, complete city boy!!!! Now, he trims my horses feet for me. What can I say? He's Dutch :D and when he realized how much we could save by doing our feet (I know how I just needed his muscle).

In about 10 days we are moving to the country, and I swear he is more excited than I am!

I also highly recommend 4H to Pony Club. When we looked into pony club for my daughter it was SUPER expensive and she had to have her own horse, which at the time she did not. Also, they go (at least around here) to events that are very far from our home and they discouraged the parents from going. My serious rider daughter is 17 and owns two horses and I still will not leave her even at our own barn, while she's riding so there was no way that i would let her go to events far from home without me, with a horse. 4H is so laid back and is a great place to start. As for helmets, I would recommend a Troxel. They are inexpensive and have been rated very highly. Ebay is a great place to look for clothing and the essentials. I totally agree wiht Oatakee (probably spelled wrong) when she says to get the girls into the down and dirty stuff. The actual riding time should be a reward in my opinion. There is so much to horses and horse ownership and most of it isn't fun or pretty--cleaning stalls, picking up the manure in the pastures (we do that I'm not sure if everyone does!)...picking out dirty, stinky feet, keeping the barn clean...so much responsibility can be taught in this sport. Also I don't agree with whoever mentioned getting a saddle when the girls get a little older. I would recommend getting a saddle if and when you buy a horse....saddle fit on a horse is so much more important that saddle fit on a person and saddles are not a one size fits all (horse and rider) thing. We looked for about 6 months to find a saddle that fit my string bean daughter and huge shouldered horse.

I just wanted to point out that this varies greatly with the leadership. I have run a couple Pony Clubs and could not have done it without those amazing parents!!!! One club is now run competely by the parents who helped me get it started. I get tickled every time I get updates on my FB about them. :D

I have been very involved with 4h as well. In fact that is what all my kids are in, because they have been bit by the western pleasure bug. If they solely wanted to jump they would be in Pony Club, because of how much it teaches. (assuming of course it is a well run group)

Edited by simka2

Guest submarines
So I actually remembered to take my camera with me this morning. She looks pretty good up there. Jeaux is tall, over 16 hands (I really need to tape him); she's 5'1" and leggy as you can see, lol.

[ATTACH]6640[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6641[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6642[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6643[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6644[/ATTACH]

What beautiful pictures!

Guest submarines

Question: at what point (age / experience) do you think a child can be actually useful as a volunteer at a farm? We have several therapy horse farms around, and DD would love to volunteer there. She envisions herself cleaning the stalls and such.

She is very responsible and thorough, but I also have a feeling that sometimes volunteers can be more hassle than help ;).

Would it be crazy of me to call such a farm and ask whether she could volunteer, considering her experience with horses is not that extensive?

Any set of skills she should have to be helpful? What's the bare minimum?

(At her first farm the owner said that she has too many girls who want to volunteer, and it is hard to make sure they are helpful. But maybe not every place is that popular?)

Working her pony too. BIG size difference, lol! We bought him about two years ago for her. She's grown a lot since then.

Pics in this order:

She and Jeaux, My fat bellied boy Charmer who needs exercise, DD, Jeaux and Goldbar bringing up the rear, Napoleon and DD practicing stretches and sidepasses.

post-32706-13535085614518_thumb.jpg

(oh and I'm aware of the lead rope...it slipped off his neck because instead of taking the effort to stretch for his treat he just wanted to turn circles instead...goofball).

The dark horse, Charmer, is the same horse as the one in my siggie line, but he was almost three years old then...and worked often-he darkens the closer it gets to winter).

post-32706-13535085613266_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535085613595_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535085613984_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535085614234_thumb.jpg

Edited by CountryGirl2

In our area, volunteers must be 13 so I doubt they would take a 9 year old unless a parent could be there with her working 1:1 with her (meaning no younger siblings along).

9 though is a good age to start 4H and you don't have to own a horse for that as some clubs you can do a lot of "horseless" projects and other clubs the leaders have horses for lease for the 4H season.

My daughter has cared for horses since she was 7. With my supervision of course. At this point she's knowledgeable enough to do many things on her own, but I'm still close by. She is not always 'bold' enough to keep them in line. None of the four we own are bad by any means, but can be silly at times. A sometimes goofy acting, 16 hand, 1100 lb horse is a lot to deal with.

Your daughter could do the same with your supervision or someone elses. And have her wear a helmet when there. Things happen...

Can't hurt to call. Some places will even trade work for some lessons. That's what I did, but it must be fair on both sides. One place I worked at gave me so much to do that I never got to have time for lessons...I didn't put up with that for long. Expectations by both should be discussed up front.

Guest submarines
In our area, volunteers must be 13 so I doubt they would take a 9 year old unless a parent could be there with her working 1:1 with her (meaning no younger siblings along).

9 though is a good age to start 4H and you don't have to own a horse for that as some clubs you can do a lot of "horseless" projects and other clubs the leaders have horses for lease for the 4H season.

Thanks! That makes sense about the age. I wonder if a small place might take her informally, so to speak. But then again, she'd need to be actually helpful.

A 4H just started in our area, and DD signed up. We are lucky to actually have horses donated by the farm, no leasing required. We had a general meeting last week, and now are waiting for the leader to contact us about the actual times and what not.

Thanks! That makes sense about the age. I wonder if a small place might take her informally, so to speak. But then again, she'd need to be actually helpful.

A 4H just started in our area, and DD signed up. We are lucky to actually have horses donated by the farm, no leasing required. We had a general meeting last week, and now are waiting for the leader to contact us about the actual times and what not.

That will be so exciting for her!