Menu

Career question, advice greatly needed please.

I know I ask a lot of questions regarding my career choices and I have a bad habit of second guessing myself, unfortunately it is one of my biggest faults and it can sometimes causemore trouble than is intended. But here comes my question, I am highly considering a career in nursing and would like to obtain my bachelor's degree in nursing in the labor and delivery department. Here comes the part where I have begun to think on too much, what if I don't like nursing school? Or what if I don't pass and get into the nursing program? What kind of career would I end up choosing? What other options are out there? I hate second guessing myself, an dI am praying that I get into nursing school and graduate with my BSN in nursing, but I still have that "what if"?

I mean I have taken tons of career tests, and most of them usually say I should stick with a career that involves, babies, children, researching, animals, nursing, teaching, and things like this. But they really don't lead me to a good second career option. I want deperately to be able to get into nursing school and pass, but I also want to be prepared in case something just doesn't go as planned as it always does happen in life.

This is just so confusing and I know I don't have to choose a career now, but I would like to at least find solid ground and have at least a direct path to follow and not know what I want. My mom says not to worry, but I do and it isn't helping matters much. I am very confused right now.:confused:

I believe that a driven, hard working person can accomplish much. If you truly love this subject you will succeed. If however, you find that you don't like nursing, I'm guessing it will be because you've found something else to be passionate about that you can throw yourself into.

I mean I have taken tons of career tests, and most of them usually say I should stick with a career that involves, babies, children, researching, animals, nursing, teaching, and things like this.

;) Sounds like you'd be an excellent home school parent...I know that's the last thing you need or want to hear!!!!

I believe that a driven, hard working person can accomplish much. If you truly love this subject you will succeed. If however, you find that you don't like nursing, I'm guessing it will be because you've found something else to be passionate about that you can throw yourself into.

You are right, I am really hoping nursing is the thing for me, it seems to fit my personality well and I am going to go this route unless something else happens along the way.

;) Sounds like you'd be an excellent home school parent...I know that's the last thing you need or want to hear!!!!

No not at all! I want to be a homeschool parent, but I would like to get a degree first lol!!:):D

Nursing school isn't too tough to get into. It just takes a well rounded typical high school education. Strong sciences will be important. Having this high school background will prepare you for any other career you may want to choose. If you decide you don't like nursing school or don't want to be a nurse, you can apply your credits toward any other degree. Any choice you make now, just gives you a direction to head. It is never too late to change your mind. The only way it will hurt you is if you decide you don't want to go to college and don't bother to take a full academic load in high school.:001_huh:

You'll be fine. Listen to your mom and try not to worry.

LuvingLife, really. Stop worrying so much :(

If it doesn't fit you, you can work for a few years, pay off any debts, earn some money, and think about what to train for next.

If you work for a few years and start to hate the job, you can look into what to train for then. You can even work part-time as a nurse while training for some other job (most places love to have someone pick up extra weekends).

You don't have to pick what you're going to do for the rest of your life now. You really, really don't.

what if I don't like nursing school? Or what if I don't pass and get into the nursing program?

What if you don't like nursing school? Why do you think you should?

What is your goal? Keep the end in mind. Once you have the degree there are endless possibilities.

What if you don't pass? Study harder and apply again. In my dh's ph.d. program the test for going from Master's level to Doctoral was to take the GRE subject test and score 93% or above. Our neighbor took that test 8 times. On the 8th try she got a 93%. She is now licensed and has built a terrific career and life for herself. No one ever asks her how many times she took the GRE subject test :D. Don't get hung up on the details. Stay focused and get to where you are going.

Cheyenne,

Breathe in and out slowly five times for me and then tell your brain to stop worrying and take a nap! Okay honey.

Someone as driven as you are is not going to fail nursing school. I've seen women who really did not want to be nurses but wanted the security of the career, with less academic background than you have, make it through their BSRN degrees. Oh, a couple of them had to take organic chemistry twice, or pharmacology twice or college algebra and trig as remedial classes because their math skills weren't all they should have been, but they made it in the end. You want it...so you'll make it happen.

Colleges have LOTS of tutoring options. You won't fail unless you choose to be lazy. You take advantage of study groups, tutors, nice upper classman and their advice because they've just recently btdt. etc.

As for not liking it, it is highly unlikely that something you've already develped a passion for will be distasteful to you. Nursing school is tough and so stress may make you think you won't like it, but then when that pressure is over, you've passed your boards, and you decide what you like best about it and work in that department, office, field, etc. things brighten considerably.

Nursing has sooooooo many options. You know you would enjoy labor and delivery. I know an L and D nurse who did a traveling nurse program. The government paid for her to do pre-natal care for indigent women in underserved areas of Appalchia where there might be one traveling OB for four or five counties and he/she desperately needed someone to handle the low risk patients. She did that and LOVED her work. She did it for five years and one of the nice benefits was that 50% of her student loans were "forgiven" or paid for by the federal program as an incentive for her to serve in this capacity. I know another woman who practiced through a similar program in American Samoa. Others that didn't like hospitals but loved working for the OB, the midwife, the pediatrician...or became a school nurse, or a nurse educator and helped children learn how to deal with their diabetes or other chronic conditions. This field is just plain wide open in terms of possibilities. So, I think that even if you weren't thrilled during the pressure of your clinicals, because of your natural bent, you could easily carve out an area of nursing, post-graduation and board exams, that would appeal to you.

Please relax. Eat some chocolate....this always helps. :001_smile:

Faith

Ok, ok, I am relaxing, and I am breathing in deeply, I hate the fact that I worry so much it just makes my life so much harder and complicated, all my friends call me the "worrier".:tongue_smilie:

Alright, I have talked to a few admission counselors at Uiniversity of Vermont, and University of Maine, they said with the courses I have taken, I should be well prepared for their nursing degree and if there is any trouble to contact the teachers asap. This relives my worries some, which is very good. I just want to say thank you for putting up with my worrying, I do feel a little better. These schools are both direst entry and if I apply eary, I would have no trouble getting in, and my local college is also a direct entry nursing school with a good BSN program, so I think now I should just keep my mouth quiet and try to relax like you all have suggested. This is the degree I want, now I just need to make it happen. I always feel better after I have vented, I tend to keep things bottled up inside and it causes too many problems (as you can see:D).

Faith, I think I am going to go have a piece of chocolate now.;)

One of the hardest things to deal with is failure, but it eventually happens to us all. What happens if you fail? You pick yourself up and try again. I ended up having to retake a couple of classes in college. That was difficult for me, but I made it through and graduated. Don't let the fear of failure stop you from doing what you want to do in life. This is coming from someone who has some experience with that.

ETA: Do you know what they call a nursing student who graduates from the worst college with the lowest GPA that is still passing.........Nurse. You will be OK and will likely do much better than that.

Edited by Mama Geek

One of the hardest things to deal with is failure, but it eventually happens to us all. What happens if you fail? You pick yourself up and try again. I ended up having to retake a couple of classes in college. That was difficult for me, but I made it through and graduated. Don't let the fear of failure stop you from doing what you want to do in life. This is coming from someone who has some experience with that.

ETA: Do you know what they call a nursing student who graduates from the worst college with the lowest GPA that is still passing.........Nurse. You will be OK and will likely do much better than that.

You're right and so is everyone else. Failure comes to everyone, and those who choose to wallow in it won't get anywhere in life, I just need to stop worrying so much! I can and will succeed, I will graduate and I will be a nurse, but as of right now I just need to finish high school and my math homework!!:lol:

Guest Will Cunningham

Cheyenne,

I understand what you are feeling. I'm interested in a career in medicine. I've found an opportunity to volunteer in the Emergency Room of a hospital. It helps to remind me that I really want a career in medicine. It motivates me to do well in school. Maybe you could try to do some volunteer work in a hospital.

My 20yo dd just graduated from the 2 year Nursing Program here. Let me reassure you that there are about 100 tiny steps that one must take to finish. So, you just jump in and start.

The prerequisites are a good preliminary indication of how you will do. Anatomy & Physiology, and Microbiology, are general education requirements that you can take ahead of time to see if you can manage. The CNA (nurses aide) class is also a short, easier introduction & you can work as a CNA immediately after finishing the one-semester class.

Also, some of the girls who flunked (or dropped out) of the RN program just moved over to the LPN program.

Those who did drop or flunk re-entered the RN program the next semester or year. Make sure you choose a good school with a near-100% pass rate (for state boards), and the teachers and students (& lots of studying) will get you over the barriers you hit up against.

However, I will warn you that Nursing School was much harder than I expected for my daughter (who was a superior student)--it is not just "finishing school". You really, really have to want it.

Easier alternatives: Med Tech, Phlebotomist, other Tech positions like Radiology or Sonography Tech where you run tests on patients.

ETA: I didn't notice you were still in high school. So I'll add this:

Our dd wanted to be a L&D nurse since she was 10 years old. She volunteered for several years in the L&D dept of a local hospital. She did the nursing pre-requisites as a dual-enrolled homeschooled high school student. She was then ready to jump right into nursing school after hs graduation. However, she wanted to quit the program during the first 2 weeks of nursing school. We told her to stay with it for the rest of the semester, which she did unwillingly . . . but then rose to the occasion and succeeded. Shockingly, there were 4 L&D job openings the month after she graduated. She is now 3 months into her day job & absolutely loves helping the moms deliver, also doing stress tests, halting early contractions, etc. It really is an uplifting job, where you directly watch your patients blossom under your care! She would highly recommend the L&D choice.

Edited by Beth S

Cheyenne,

I understand what you are feeling. I'm interested in a career in medicine. I've found an opportunity to volunteer in the Emergency Room of a hospital. It helps to remind me that I really want a career in medicine. It motivates me to do well in school. Maybe you could try to do some volunteer work in a hospital.

Will, I am highly considering become a hospital volunteer, and maybe even getting a small job as well, the only problem is that my local hospital won't allow anyone under 18 to volunteer.:glare: But I will still do it when I reach that age!

My 20yo dd just graduated from the 2 year Nursing Program here. Let me reassure you that there are about 100 tiny steps that one must take to finish. So, you just jump in and start.

The prerequisites are a good preliminary indication of how you will do. Anatomy & Physiology, and Microbiology, are general education requirements that you can take ahead of time to see if you can manage. The CNA (nurses aide) class is also a short, easier introduction & you can work as a CNA immediately after finishing the one-semester class.

Also, some of the girls who flunked (or dropped out) of the RN program just moved over to the LPN program.

Those who did drop or flunk re-entered the RN program the next semester or year. Make sure you choose a good school with a near-100% pass rate (for state boards), and the teachers and students (& lots of studying) will get you over the barriers you hit up against.

However, I will warn you that Nursing School was much harder than I expected for my daughter (who was a superior student)--it is not just "finishing school". You really, really have to want it.

Easier alternatives: Med Tech, Phlebotomist, other Tech positions like Radiology or Sonography Tech where you run tests on patients.

ETA: I didn't notice you were still in high school. So I'll add this:

Our dd wanted to be a L&D nurse since she was 10 years old. She volunteered for several years in the L&D dept of a local hospital. She did the nursing pre-requisites as a dual-enrolled homeschooled high school student. She was then ready to jump right into nursing school after hs graduation. However, she wanted to quit the program during the first 2 weeks of nursing school. We told her to stay with it for the rest of the semester, which she did unwillingly . . . but then rose to the occasion and succeeded. Shockingly, there were 4 L&D job openings the month after she graduated. She is now 3 months into her day job & absolutely loves helping the moms deliver, also doing stress tests, halting early contractions, etc. It really is an uplifting job, where you directly watch your patients blossom under your care! She would highly recommend the L&D choice.

Beth, I am so glad to hear how your daughter completed her nursing degree and is enjoying her job as an L&D nurse, and this is what I want so much as well!! I want it so badly, but may I ask a few quesitons?

does one have to be dual enrolled in order to gain the pre-requisites or can I just jump right into nursing? Did your daughter earn her degree at a CC or a 4 year college? I do know the program is hard, but I think I can do it if I keep it up. A lot of nurses are actually reccommending that I enter an ADN program instead of a BSn, they said they felt better prepared for the job and were easily able to complete their RN to BSN because they gained a lot of skills that couldn't have been accomplished through a BSN program. Did the ADN program prepare your daughter well for the L&D job?

Sorry for all the questions but I just would really like to know!

TIA.:bigear:

does one have to be dual enrolled in order to gain the pre-requisites or can I just jump right into nursing? Did your daughter earn her degree at a CC or a 4 year college? . . . . A lot of nurses are actually reccommending that I enter an ADN program instead of a BSN, they said they felt better prepared for the job and were easily able to complete their RN to BSN because they gained a lot of skills that couldn't have been accomplished through a BSN program. Did the ADN program prepare your daughter well for the L&D job?

She earned a 2 year ADN at our local CC. This nursing program required about 15 hours of pre-requisites. It's their way of seeing if you are strong enough academically for the program (Anatomy & Physiology, Psychology, CNA, Computer course, College Algebra, etc).

You can likely check on the website of the nursing programs near you, to see what they require. Normally, a high school student graduates, then begins working on the pre-requisites--which can take 1-2 semesters. So the program then becomes actually a 3-year program for many students. This nursing program had 250 applicants for the 50 student slots, so many people are even waiting longer than 3 years from start to finish. Our dd was by far the youngest student; next youngest was 21yo and most were 30yo and up.

Her close friend is finishing up a 4 year BSN at a nearby 4 year uni. DD's program was much more intense, more clinical experience, but less broad academic prep (no Chemistry, for example). We chose the 2 year because she had a full academic scholarship. Actually, we wanted her to have something in 2 years, in case she wanted to get married or whatever. Now she could take classes (online or locally) to get her BSN over the next few years & do the clinicals at the hospital she works for. They also have employee tuition reimbursement.

She feels VERY prepared for her L&D job. However, the hospital had a 2 week full time orientation, reviewing all nursing princples, and about 40 more hours of separate-from-floor-work orientation in L&D. She will soon be cross-trained in Nursery (incl. NICU) and Post-partum (where they usually start new RN grads).

She works three 12-hour day shifts per week. Next year, she can choose to work two 12-hour night shifts and get the same pay (night shift gets paid that much more). She still has plenty of time to have fun; it would not be impossible to juggle a family if the finances were sorely needed. (But she did NOT have much spare time for fun while nursing school was in session!)

I realize this response is quite long. But I hope it encourages you to gather more information and also talk with others, esp. current nursing students at the program you are considering. And look optimistically ahead to the future!

She earned a 2 year ADN at our local CC. This nursing program required about 15 hours of pre-requisites. It's their way of seeing if you are strong enough academically for the program (Anatomy & Physiology, Psychology, CNA, Computer course, College Algebra, etc).

You can likely check on the website of the nursing programs near you, to see what they require. Normally, a high school student graduates, then begins working on the pre-requisites--which can take 1-2 semesters. So the program then becomes actually a 3-year program for many students. This nursing program had 250 applicants for the 50 student slots, so many people are even waiting longer than 3 years from start to finish. Our dd was by far the youngest student; next youngest was 21yo and most were 30yo and up.

Her close friend is finishing up a 4 year BSN at a nearby 4 year uni. DD's program was much more intense, more clinical experience, but less broad academic prep (no Chemistry, for example). We chose the 2 year because she had a full academic scholarship. Actually, we wanted her to have something in 2 years, in case she wanted to get married or whatever. Now she could take classes (online or locally) to get her BSN over the next few years & do the clinicals at the hospital she works for. They also have employee tuition reimbursement.

She feels VERY prepared for her L&D job. However, the hospital had a 2 week full time orientation, reviewing all nursing princples, and about 40 more hours of separate-from-floor-work orientation in L&D. She will soon be cross-trained in Nursery (incl. NICU) and Post-partum (where they usually start new RN grads).

She works three 12-hour day shifts per week. Next year, she can choose to work two 12-hour night shifts and get the same pay (night shift gets paid that much more). She still has plenty of time to have fun; it would not be impossible to juggle a family if the finances were sorely needed. (But she did NOT have much spare time for fun while nursing school was in session!)

I realize this response is quite long. But I hope it encourages you to gather more information and also talk with others, esp. current nursing students at the program you are considering. And look optimistically ahead to the future!

Beth S, I am so glad that you explained everything so clearly for me because you have helped me start making decisions about my future, I will most likely be going for my ADN at a local CC, or if I can get full coverage go to a private college that offers a BSN. I don't mind the hard work, and my parents said they will be there to make sure to help me no matter what, so I feel confident in applying to the local CC, getting my ADN while still living at home, and get a good hospital job in the L&D department.

You are a great mom and I am sure your daughter really appreciated your support during the time she was gaining her nursing degree. Thank you so much for your help!!:001_smile:

Please relax. Eat some chocolate....this always helps. :001_smile:

Faith

Please do some more breathing and eat more chocolate (good quality dark- one square a day). Oops sounds like I'm the nurse!!!

Nursing school is notoriously tough and sometimes not as academically rigorous as you might like (I taught nursing school anatomy and physiology classes in grad school) but, if you focus and make sure to have a life as well, you will do ok. I think the initial work load and the physical and intellectual energy required startles most students (they picture themselves wiping foreheads and cuddling babies) as it is kind of like doing the first 2 years of med school and a couple of years of college in 2 years. But, you are young and ambitious so, have fun with it as a challenge.

As a career, these days nursing can be as exciting or as routine as you wish. There are lots of post-grad. training situations should you decide to explore a different aspect of the field.

We need more NURSES so I'm so happy that you will try the profession. I am old and may need a nurse in the future....:D

Please do some more breathing and eat more chocolate (good quality dark- one square a day). Oops sounds like I'm the nurse!!!

Nursing school is notoriously tough and sometimes not as academically rigorous as you might like (I taught nursing school anatomy and physiology classes in grad school) but, if you focus and make sure to have a life as well, you will do ok. I think the initial work load and the physical and intellectual energy required startles most students (they picture themselves wiping foreheads and cuddling babies) as it is kind of like doing the first 2 years of med school and a couple of years of college in 2 years. But, you are young and ambitious so, have fun with it as a challenge.

As a career, these days nursing can be as exciting or as routine as you wish. There are lots of post-grad. training situations should you decide to explore a different aspect of the field.

We need more NURSES so I'm so happy that you will try the profession. I am old and may need a nurse in the future....:D

Yes you are right! I will start checking out my local colleges and see what they have to offer, although we do plan on moving (again where I don't know but I think they are looking in upstate New york) so I don't want to get over involved in one state, and I would really prefer to go to college anywhere but Rhode Island, so I am checking out of state as well.

I think I can handle two years of nursing school and continue the rest in an online program. I thank you for your support! I can't wait until someone else calls me nurse too!:001_smile: