Menu

Costco's Pharmacy is Saving me $700/Month

I have to be on an expensive prescription for about six months. The generic versions from most pharmacies came to $1000/month. Costco sells a generic for $300/month. I even looked into ordering from Canadian pharmacies, but I couldn't figure out which ones are legit.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy. It's mail order, so you don't even need to live near one. I thought I'd pass this info along to see if it would help any of you save money.

The price difference for this particular drug is real. I've already ordered from them three times. They post all their prices on the website. I used the websites of other national chain pharmacies for comparison.

Now, I'm not claiming Costco is that much cheaper for all expensive drugs. But it's worth a look.

The price difference for this particular drug is real. I've already ordered from them three times. They post all their prices on the website. I used the websites of other national chain pharmacies for comparison.

Now, I'm not claiming Costco is that much cheaper for all expensive drugs. But it's worth a look.

That makes more sense. Other companies have discounts that are not factored into thier websites. Costco has their discount factored in.

I am glad you found a cheaper place to buy it! Costco and Walmart are generally the cheapest overall for cash or pecentage based prescriptions. When we used to do a lot of price matching of prescriptions, we used to check the Costco site. Other chains have discounts that can be factored in only if you bring in the precription and it is typed into the system, and then the discount applied. I have seen some meds drop by large amounts using discount cards, and others stay the same price. It is a bit of a crap shoot.

FWIW>>>>>Just incase anyone else is looking to save money, one thing you don't want to use the online sites for is to price check any meds that are liquids inside a device. Always call the pharmacy to get pricing on those items. ie injections, nasal sprays, inhalers, aerosols etc. The math can be different on how you factor it and that alters the websites pricing results. A med like Lovenox can be dosed in single syringes of .8mls or 1 each. Some websites have the pricing set as 10=ten syringes, other sites calculate out the math as 8=10 syringes (.8x10). The price between 8 and 10 syringes of Lovenox can be huge! I work at a large company that has two different computer system. The math is calculated different in the two different systems....at the same company. LOL The person pricing the med would know the different methods and calculate it for you.

I second the OP recommendation. I drive an hour to the Costco pharmacy to get a three month prescription of my maintenance medication for about $38 dollars. I have asked around at local pharmacies, three months at Walmart is $440. It is slightly more online at Costco then their instore price. A second medication I receive is much cheaper but not quite as dramatic.

Definately worth checking out.