Menu

Need suggestions for multiplication fact software

Cabertmom

I need some suggestions for effective multiplication fact software. We have Timez Attack and used it (belatedly) with the oldest 3 children, and it worked really well. However, my 9-year-old daughter finds it too dark and too stressful. Does anyone have ideas for fun multiplication fact software, websites, or iphone apps? Free is great, but I'm willing to pay if I have to.

I already had her make index cards with the facts on them, and we go over those every day, but she continues to have trouble with the same facts. We used Times Tales years ago, but I'm not happy with the results for our kids, though I love the idea. We also have a couple different CDs of multiplication facts set to music, but that hasn't done any good either.

Anyway, I need something electronic to help her learn these, leaving me to do other things.:bigear:

We did the free trial of MathRider and I am trying to decide whether to purchase it or not. There was a promo code in Maria Miller's last newsletter...here's the info:

Special Discount For Maria's Math News Readers

Also... during the next 10 days (till October 12), you can get Math Rider for 25% off (normal price $37). Enter code "maria25" (case insensitive) into the field "How did you hear about us?" at Math Rider checkout, and the 25% discount will be applied.

My dd9 is also really liking some of the games on multiplication.com. I've been giving her a table to use when she is playing games with 7s or 8s and they seem to be coming along. I've also started doing periodic multiplication copywork (someone here mentioned it) where I just have her write the equation 5 times.

Guest lahmeh

My son didn't like Timez Attack AT ALL, but he is loving MathRider. I think of it as more of a happy, calming website. :)

Edited by lahmeh

Have you tried xtramath.org?

We started using xtramath a few weeks ago and it has helped my kids recall the math facts much faster.

It's free, which is a plus, and it starts with addition facts and then progresses to subtraction and then multiplication problems once they master the addition.

My oldest two enjoy doing it (14 and 10) while my youngest (8) gets frustrated with the 'Race the Teacher' part. I'm going to make her continue with it, though.

Edited by Trresh

We also found http://www.multiplication-games.org/game/48/Fairy-Fun.html yesterday, which my little girly girl really liked. That website has lots of varied games too, which is nice.

However, I prefer programs that focus more attention on problems that have been missed rather than just practicing everything. That way, the time is better spent. That's what I like about Timez Attack and now also Math Rider. We got the trial version this morning. I wish it was a bit more varied in terms of what one does, but the concept is neat. Seems like a great deal of borrowing from both Lewis and Tolkien, but as those are two household favorites, that's just great.

FWIW, I had my 6-year-old use the addition part of Math Rider, and trying to type the numbers in fast enough sort of stressed him out, so I started having him tell me the answer, and then I typed it. We'll see how it goes over time with both of them. My 12-year-old wanted to do it too, though he really doesn't need the practice, having graduated from Timez Attack. :001_smile:

I am going to do the mathrider free trial for a week and see how the kids like it. Times Attack is just too expensive when you need to practice all of the operations. My son "won the game" and won't keep playing it so I don't want to spend all that money for just a few more levels.

Thanks for the advice!

BTW we had problems with xtramath b/c the kids aren't that fast at typing so my poor ds was stuck with addition math facts and struggling through it. My poor dd was even worse off!

We got the $5 pdf from multiplication.com and my 9yo is happy & giggling over memorizing her tables. She doesn't like the games on the website because, for example, "The bones aren't a realistic shape.":banghead:

It might just be that she's hit the right stage for this, but they're finally sticking like they never have before, no matter what we've used.