Menu

Pestering

I don't allow that behavior.

If someone is being pestered, and the pesterer is not listening to the pesteree who is begging for "stop it", we have a mother-mediated pro-social communication lesson.

The children in question must face each other, communicate about their needs (without using "stop it" or "cut it out"), and respect each others' words.

As a result, my kids are mostly good friends, and I don't have to go insane.

I don't allow that behavior.

If someone is being pestered, and the pesterer is not listening to the pesteree who is begging for "stop it", we have a mother-mediated pro-social communication lesson.

The children in question must face each other, communicate about their needs (without using "stop it" or "cut it out"), and respect each others' words.

As a result, my kids are mostly good friends, and I don't have to go insane.

the problem comes in when I have to do this CONSTANTLY! As a matter of fact, I can be "Counseling" two children while the other two are in the middle of it as well.

And I am really sick of mediating....ugh. Makes me nuts.

I think it starts when two kids are playing and then it just starts to get out of hand. One kid is still having fun, but now it is at the expense of the other one.

at the expense of the other one.

Sounds like time for a family meeting.

I have literally told my kids "we don't have fun at someone else's expense". They know the rules. If they can't follow them, they are sent away to bed until they can behave appropriately.

Car rides are a good time for lectures. Captive audience...

I feel your pain.

Just yesterday, my boys couldn't seem to stop torturing each other in every way possible. It happened when I was in the room or out of the room showering and going to the bathroom. So I told them that they were forbidden to speak to each other for the rest of the day (this was about 5 pm). I told them that if they could not value the relationship with their brother, then I would temporarily remove it. I also then assigned them to do unfun work. I told them that if they could not structure their free time better than to fight with their brother that I would structure it for them. I must say that it was all quite satisfying.:D

My kids are pretty good with this.

If I notice it then generally the pesterer spend a half day or day in service of the pesteree. They have to play what the other child wants to play, fetch things for that child, do chores, etc.

It's almost inevitably my 13 yr old who ends up serving the 9 yr old and although it's rare it always makes the 9 yr old's day. :D