Menu

Can I just say (AoPS related)

Can I just say how humbling and even frustrating it is to have spent 6 lines figuring a challenge problem, to be thrilled that upon checking it in the solutions manual my answer is correct and the way the book suggests, and have my DD walk up, ask what problem I am on and then throw the answer over her shoulder while walking into the other room, without even picking up a pencil. :glare:

Can I just say how humbling and even frustrating it is to have spent 6 lines figuring a challenge problem, to be thrilled that upon checking it in the solutions manual my answer is correct and the way the book suggests, and have my DD walk up, ask what problem I am on and then throw the answer over her shoulder while walking into the other room, without even picking up a pencil. :glare:

Have to say I'm glad to hear it's not just me! :D

It is even more humbling when they reach the pt that you realize that you shouldn't even bother trying b/c your brain just won't get you there. And then they start having these conversations that you don't understand a single word and all you can do is ask questions ( and still not understand their answers) and wonder how you could ever have considered yourself well-educated. :tongue_smilie:

I feel the same way about Singapore. I get what they do. I can teach him easily. I am rather adept at math. But I can already see him responding by mentally juggling numbers in his head in surprising ways that catch me off-guard, because he isvgetting this while still so young and elastic, and it is very cool to see!