Menu

Considering dropping teching textbooks, good idea?

justLisa

Long story short, I just thought this was such a great idea. DS in 2nd grade probably won't learn anything until the end of the year having to do wtih numbers. They do have some parts about lines/angles, days/months but we would do that regardless. Same with clock/money. My fear is that I DO NOT SEE MANY NUMBERS LOL. Anyone use this with success? I am hoping everyone just says ditch it and go wtih the math mammoth I already have and used last year to make it easy on me, so I don't spend any more time wondering what to do. I don't want to switch curriculum much, but math is the one subject he is inclined to do without any fuss, and I think he has a natural knack for it. It would be between MM and SM which I have never used, but I already have MM.

I'm new to this board and a lot of the posts/reviews are helpful. I want this to work because it is independent and frees me up a little but that is NOT important if it is going to leave us behind.

It sounds to me like you have already decided to switch to math mammoth but just want someone to give you permission to do it.

I use and love teaching textbooks for my kids they enjoy it and trust me there are plenty of numbers there. What level is he using (third?) Looking at the table of contents, I'm not sure what you mean by no numbers. There is plenty of addition and subtraction topics with the calendar, lines angles and such mixed in.

If you prefer to use math mammoth then go for it, it is your school and can use what you want.

We're in our second year of TT and couldn't be happier. I too was a bit concerned at the beginning of TT3 because it was mostly calendars and days of the week and whatnot, but trust me, there are loads and loads of number coming. In addition (no pun intended) to addition and subtraction, there is multiplication, division, word problems place value and long multiplication (plus a bunch of other stuff I can't remember). If you ds is happy with the program, I'd say keep it. If you want to supplement, try that, but know that there are numbers coming.

that's what i thought but then when I look all over the internet there are so many reviews saying kids don't test well or fall behind with it. I don't know, maybe I should just stick with it for a while. Maybe I should just look ahead and start somewhere further in the book.

Or I should just stop reading reviews of math!

My oldest has been using TT this year and so far I am very happy with it. He likes it. He has gotten great scores on all the lessons and quizzes so far. It is one subject he can do independently.

I supplement whatever he's doing (this year it is TT, but last year it was McRuffy) sometimes with MM and sometimes with Key to... I use these programs to give him more work in weak areas and also to allow him to work ahead in areas that interest him. I can't see myself every using MM as a main program, but I know a lot of people here do.

In short, I like TT and MM (and SM, which my middle ds is using). I say whatever works for you and your child is great. What are you looking to get out of your math program? I don't think listening to bad reviews is a good reason on it's own to switch. There are good reviews of TT out there too. However if TT is not meeting your specific goals for math for your child then supplement or switch. I guess now is the time to evaluate your goals. Maybe start a thread asking people why they chose what they chose and see what meshes with your own goals.

When we started with TT I thought it was a lot of review and kept waiting for the "new" learning, but what I forgot was that TT is a spiral math program and the "new" learning isn't going to be really obvious at the beginning. It kind of crept up on us and I realized that my son was learning quite a few new concepts but because I didn't have to reteach him I figured they weren't there. TT is a slower buildup, but I am really happy with the results. Even better he is really happy with it as well, is learning math and even asks to do extra lessons some days.

Thank you all, it's helpful to hear supportive opinions. I have definitely heard the other side so need to make a decision. I will admit that I get stressed when I hear too much negative about something I thought was such a good idea. I am not a math whiz. I did ok and got good grades even through calculus, but I definitely lacked basic math skills. I was taught memorization, and never learned re grouping and number bonds etc. It seems that there is an opinion of Singapore that it is far beyond anything else, and just don't want to switch curriculum though I would if I needed to.

DS likes TT. It's easy right now, and all the reviews of it being too easy or not rigorous worries me. I definitely have a math inclined kid, it's the one subject he NEVER complains about. I just want to make sure he will come out strong in math. Maybe there is a need to supplement here and there, but I don't know with what or when/how.

Thank you all, it's helpful to hear supportive opinions. I have definitely heard the other side so need to make a decision. I will admit that I get stressed when I hear too much negative about something I thought was such a good idea. I am not a math whiz. I did ok and got good grades even through calculus, but I definitely lacked basic math skills. I was taught memorization, and never learned re grouping and number bonds etc. It seems that there is an opinion of Singapore that it is far beyond anything else, and just don't want to switch curriculum though I would if I needed to.

DS likes TT. It's easy right now, and all the reviews of it being too easy or not rigorous worries me. I definitely have a math inclined kid, it's the one subject he NEVER complains about. I just want to make sure he will come out strong in math. Maybe there is a need to supplement here and there, but I don't know with what or when/how.

For my second grade DS we're using TT3, along with Life of Fred and Singapore Math. It's a match made in heaven for my mathy DS. He's almost done with LOF:Apples, and then will be moving on to Butterflies. We do that twice a week. For Singapore we have a few days left in the 2B books before we move on to the 3A books. We're also doing that two days a week, and then he does the TT3 five days a week. It's really working well for him. We'll probably finish up the TT3 before the school year is up, and then I'll have to decide whether to just move ahead with TT4 or just focus on our supplemental math for the last few months of school.

If you already have Math Mammoth and start to feel like you need to supplement, then I think it would be easy enough to pull the table of contents from each program and just print off the chapters from MM that you want to use.

I have MM, too. And my children use it, too, but Teaching Textbooks is what gets done every. single. day. no matter what we have going on.

I have never used the elementary programs. But my math-inclined ds did Alg 1 & 2 and the Pre-Calc books--by himself--and then went to CC for Calculus as a hs senior. (and was tops in the class) His SAT scores were great.

I think TT doesn't cover topics in the same schedule or method as other programs and is often seen as behind. All I know is that it worked for us. Younger ds will pick up TT Pre-Alg in a couple of years, and I look forward to his success as well.