Menu

A doctor took my 8 year olds in a room alone for a "talking"

I don't know. I can't imagine my 8 year old saying "I hate my mom" about anything. I think that is unusual for an 8 yo, so I can see the doctor exploring that a little more.

I agree. My 8 year old boy can be pretty sassy with me at home, but he would not ever impulsively and angrily tell a nurse/doctor that he hates me.

So the way I read it: your son does have an anger problem and the doctor suggested that you see a counselor for it. She didn't report you or suggest that you medicate him. She just suggested that a counselor would be a good thing while your child is still young.

The second thing I read is that you seemed very passive through out. You didn't handle your son's anger but let the nurse handle it. You didn't ask to remain with your children but let them be taken into another room. I can't totally understand all the anger from you when you had been so passive. Also - what the doctor did was to try to uphold you as a mother, when she told your children to be more polite to you and to not malign you. I don't see anything anywhere in what you wrote about her suspecting you of abuse of any kind.

I agree with this, as well.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize there are a lot of posts on this and mine will never be seen but.... I think you may have "under-reacted". 1st he's your child, if she thinks there's a problem mention it to you, I would never let her speak to my child alone! This is one of the main reasons I homeschool, I will not let someone else raise my child for me. Not for 1 minute. This doctor doesn't know you, she's not trained in child behavior, even if she was that's not what you are paying her for. As for the exam, I would have either convinced (subtly) my child(8 yrs old) to do the exam (with me there/near the entire time) or refused it until I could convince him to do it willingly. We tell them never to let anyone touch them there, but then drag them to the doctor and say here you go have at it. For the OP, you were shocked and overwhelmed by people who think they know best for you and your child, it's not your fault. You didn't over-react, but you now know better for next time.

:iagree::iagree: Sorry you got stuck in such a crappy situation, :grouphug::grouphug:.

I personally would not give the incident another iota of mental or emotional energy.

It is quite annoying when a doctor or nurse presumes to instruct a patient in proper social conduct. Next time maybe remember to remind them that you are there for physical reasons and that you have the family guidance thing under control. You know your son far better than any of them do.

Years ago I had a teen daughter at doctor's for a urinalysis for suspected bladder infection. Daughter made smart alec comment to me. Overbearing doctor promptly decided daughter had anger issues that must be related to illicit drug use and pregnancy hormones. :lol: Doctor was huffy when I refused drug and pregnancy testing. I so wanted to suggest she test herself for pregnancy.

I personally would not give the incident another iota of mental or emotional energy.

It is quite annoying when a doctor or nurse presumes to instruct a patient in proper social conduct. Next time maybe remember to remind them that you are there for physical reasons and that you have the family guidance thing under control. You know your son far better than any of them do.

Years ago I had a teen daughter at doctor's for a urinalysis for suspected bladder infection. Daughter made smart alec comment to me. Overbearing doctor promptly decided daughter had anger issues that must be related to illicit drug use and pregnancy hormones. :lol: Doctor was huffy when I refused drug and pregnancy testing. I so wanted to suggest she test herself for pregnancy.

SNORT!