Menu

Are high back boosters safer than no back boosters?

I remember from the car seat thread so long ago that someone said it was so wonderful that so many people had their kids in high back booster seats. Are they safer than the boosters without backs? Is there a reputable site that has this info? I've tried Google, but can't find anything. Thank you.

I've always heard they are.

Even if it didn't matter, I like them for the comfort factor - headrest, armrests, built in cup holders, and the seatbelt thingy. :) And even with backs, the back can be taken off to be used as a regular booster. (DS could, according to our state law, stop riding in his when he turns 8 in Feb - but I'll be the final judge of that. He's not that big so idk if he'll be able to wear a seatbelt properly without one. He won't care either way, though...)

Certain highback boosters have side impact protection. Given the risk of side impacts, I think the models with SIP are worth it, on top of increased child comfort.

A highback model when considered a must when your seats are low back or have no headrests- like the bench seats in older minivans. This is to reduce neck and head injuries.

It is also easier to get the shoulder belt at the right spot with the hbb.

If I'm remembering correctly, there was a study that showed that high backs were safer for 4 and 5 year olds. The high back booster can provide whiplash protection if the car doesn't have proper headrests. Also, the high backs help smaller/younger children stay seated properly with a more comfortable shoulder belt fit.

The child is less likely to slide sideways out of the belt, whether because he/she falls asleep or due to impact. If the belt is properly positioned, it will work better and be less likely to cause injury. FWIW, Hobbes (small and light) is in a high backed booster in my car - in DH's car we can't get the high back high enough for the belt to clear his shoulders properly, so he's in a low-backed booster in that car.

Laura