Menu

Opening a can of worms

I was hoping someone who better understood how things work could explain this.

We qualify for heating assistance in the winter. It was a great help and got us throught the worst months of the first year on our own. I kept the heat as low as comfortably possible to make the assistance last the whole time (it's a set amount). We got through and I've had zero problems paying the gas bill.

The beginning of september I got a letter that I qualified for a bit more than was given, so it'll be sent to the gas company. Problem is, we don't need this help. I don't even want it, but it went straight to the gas company.

LIHEAP (low income heating energy assistance program) opens in November and runs until the funds are gone (from what I'm told). Where did my recent payment come from and why? Why didn't they just send a letter asking if I needed it, or hold on to it until winter, or give it to someone who has no gas to cook right now?

I plan to continue paying my gas bill and let the credit roll over to winter. I also wish there was a way to only have a portion of last year's credit, but when one applies, the amount is automatic. I do leave off the increased electric bill on the application hoping it reduces some of what we could get.

We need the help, it just doesn't make sense how payment is figured, where the income limits come from, etc.

I just got one of those extra payments but since my hubby is unemployed now we needed more than ever. When I asked about this extra money this is what I was told:

The federal government (which supplies the money) runs on a fiscal year from October - September. When they sent the payments in the fall, it is an estimate based on how many applicants they think they will have. When the end of the fiscal year rolls around, they have to spend their extra budget (use it or lose it) and so they go back and look at people's payment history, actual usage verses estimated usage and disperse the remaining funds to those who had applied for that fiscal years funding.