Menu

Which program for 1st grader learning cursive?

diaperjoys

What materials for 1st grader learning cursive??  

1. 1. What materials for 1st grader learning cursive??

• New American Cursive (Memoria Press)
    • Classically Cursive (Veritas)
    • Zaner Bloser
    • Other

My 7yo would like to learn cursive. He's officially 1st grade, and can print beautifully. He prints CLE/ETC-style, no slant, so not sure if I can get away with using Classically Cursive with him, which is what I've always used in the classroom & with my oldest.

Here are the options I'm seeing....

New American Cursive - Nice line size for a 1st grader, fun presentation. But it goes in alphabetical order! What's up with that?? Seems like doing the easy letters first makes more sense... Also, this method would take the entire year to get introduced to all the letters, and he wouldn't be using cursive in his other work until 2nd grade at least. Not sure if this is good or bad. Might be good - might satisfy his desire to work with cursive a bit, without overwhelming e

Zaner Bloser - Seems okay. I guess. Starts with easy letters.

Classically Cursive - This is what I'm most familiar with. I've taught from these materials in the 2nd grade classroom, and we take on two letters a day, finish the alphabet in 13 days, and require all work in cursive from that point forward. It's based of D'Nealian/Modern Manuscript font, though, which my son hasn't learned. The font is a little smallish for my first grader. Not sure this is a good fit for him.

Isn't Cursive First similar to Classically Cursive? I don't see anything about Classically Cursive that would require printing with slant first.

My son is learning GDI cursive italic right now. While the book starts out teaching print italic, I skipped that part (he's done HWT print) and just went straight to the cursive. He's doing fine. I don't think you have to slant the print in order to learn cursive. Teach the cursive, and the paper slant will help them slant. My son started out slanting to the left or straight up, but he's starting to get a slight slant to the right if I slant his paper appopriately. I've decided not to worry about the slant (after posting here with a mild freak out :lol:) and just focus on the letter formation itself. Once he can form the letters and do words and such, I'll put more focus on the slant being even and such.

I'm using Cheerful Cursive with my 1st grade dd, and she loves it. What I like about it is that it uses fun stroke characters, which really stick in my dd's mind, to introduce the strokes. Then it groups letters by stroke. It eventually works on reading cursive and writing cursive from print.

I am not familiar with the programs you mentioned, but I really like HWOT cursive. I haven't used any of their handwriting before cursive. Their style is simple, up and down, and the program progresses nice and slowly. Handwriting is definitely not my son's favorite subject, but he doesn't mind HWOT.

I am not familiar with the programs you mentioned, but I really like HWOT cursive. I haven't used any of their handwriting before cursive. Their style is simple, up and down, and the program progresses nice and slowly. Handwriting is definitely not my son's favorite subject, but he doesn't mind HWOT.

:iagree: (except that we only started cursive because my then-6yo really wanted to!!)

I voted other. My first grader is doing Getty-Dubay Italics cursive.

But if you must choose from one of the other three, I would vote for NAC. I like its simplified letters. I'm sure you can tweak the program to suit your needs. Introduce the letters in families, all within a month or two. Then go back and do the letter practice pages.

Edited by nansk

:iagree:We love Hand Writing Without Tears here too!!