Menu

AoPS - What do you think about the Scope & Sequence

I know that AoPS Intro to Algebra covers many topics that are typically found in Algebra II. What about the Prealgebra? I figure it goes deeper but is there any concepts that you believe are more typically found in Algebra I?

Yes - we are just finishing the chapter on exponents. Our previous prealgebra program, Saxon 1/2, introduced exponents. We touched on the basics, regular old exponents, multiplying exponents, exponents with negative bases, negative exponents, and solving simple problems with one or more exponential numbers in it. The emphasis was generally on converting exponential numbers to 'regular' numbers to manipulate them.

In AoPS, we covered all that, plus dividing exponents, fractional bases, factoring exponents, adding and subtracting them, use of the distributive property, finding values for exponents in a series, and plenty more. Also, there was much greater emphasis on manipulating the numbers WITHOUT converting them to 'regular' numbers first. We did not cover fractions as exponents, but I looked ahead and that is in the chapter on fractions.

Hope that helps! Of course that is just one chapter, but that seems to be typical of the sort of coverage. And, there are several chapters on things like number theory or statistics that are not necessarily covered in a typical algebra program at all. You can find the table of contents here - http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/products/prealgebra/toc.pdf That might help you out, too.

I believe on the AoPS site it is now referred to as an Advanced Prealgebra on the recommendation and placement. ;) I would agree.

One of our problems from this morning: if n= 11, what is (1/4) raised to the power n+1, multiplied by 2 to the power 2n. It could be long and drawn out if you start to just work it out, easy if you use formula or factors of 2. The emphasis is on knowing how to set up the problem using formula or rules to make it simple.

I believe on the AoPS site it is now referred to as an Advanced Prealgebra on the recommendation and placement. ;) I would agree.

:iagree: and that makes me wonder whether we should have waited... still, we'll take it a bit at a time.

The emphasis is on knowing how to set up the problem using formula or rules to make it simple.

I love how he begins the videos by looking for the "smart" way to do the problem.