Menu

Tell me about the Greenville/Spartanburg SC area!

If you look in the Greer area (north side of Greenville), keep in mind that it straddles the county line. Parts of Greer are in Spartanburg County, and others are in Greenville County. You may find a place like I have, which is in bizarro-limbo land (Spartanburg for taxes and voting, Greenville for schools).

I've lived in the Upstate for all but 6 months of my 35 years. In all that time, the only thing that has ever happened to me is that our heat pump was stolen during the 6 months we lived elsewhere! :tongue_smilie: As in any urban/suburban area, there are property crimes and occasional muggings. Of all the people I know who have moved here from other places, none have ever said that they felt less safe than anywhere else.

You might find this link helpful:

http://www.greenvillechamber.org/relocation-information.php

If I was looking to move to Greenville I would look in Greer or Taylors. Close to Greenville and everything but also accessible to Spartanburg. If DH got a well paying job we'd move to Greer in a heartbeat but as it is it's cheaper for us to live in Spartanburg since he travels all over the upstate and western NC. I spent the first 22 years of my life in Florida and I love love love Upstate SC. It's just a nice place to live!!

Thank you all so much! This has been very helpful. Waiting on pins and needles for dh's 11:30 call - don't know if they will give him offer verbally or just let him know they are mailing it. All we know is they want him.:D

Let's hope they make it worth a move!;)

Good luck -- I hope you hear something soon!!!

Sorry if I scared you about the crime statistics, but when I saw those numbers, and then compared them with a few known high-crime areas here in the NY/NJ area, I got worried.

FWIW, Newark, NJ scored 7 & 5 and Paterson, NJ scored 8 & 4 on the BestPlaces crime ratings, so that's why I was so alarmed at Greenville's 9 & 8 numbers. Camden, NJ is one of the murder capitals of the world, and they ranked 10 & 7 (so apparently, you'll be killed, but they might not steal your car...)

I guess the most important thing is that the people who have posted here do not agree with the rankings, and that they feel safe when they are in their homes, as well as when they are out and about. I hope you're able to visit the area before your dh makes a commitment to the new job, just to get a feel for the place.

Personally, from what I've seen of it online, Greenville looks lovely. With around 60,000 people, it's probably a nice compromise between a large town and a small city, which I think would be very nice.

Have you seen the online videos about the town? Here's a link:

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/Webstream/default.aspx

I'm still confused about the crime thing, and am hoping that BestPlaces is just plain wrong about them, because from what I saw in the videos and am hearing from the people here who live there, it sounds like a perfect place for a family -- with the added bonus of a large and active homeschool community (which I really wish we had in my area, and is one of the reasons why we'd like to move elsewhere!)

Cat

I'm usually just a lurker here, but couldn't resist posting to this thread. My family moved about 30 mi SE of Greenville two years ago from the Pittsburgh area. The culture shock was incredible at first. Everything is so different from up North- the climate, terrain, vegetation, people. It took us awhile to come around, but we really love it now, and Greenville is the best city we have ever lived near (we've moved around a bit).

One of the hardest things for me to get used to as a Northerner was the insects. In our very nice neighborhood, the roaches and Palmetto bugs are just out of control. If you are used to going outside and sitting on the grass with the children for a picnic or a story, you will not be able to do that down here because of the fire ants. In and around our yard, we have seen about a dozen Black Widows since we moved (though admittedly that is unusually high). These critters caused me quite a bit of anxiety for the first year or so, but I'm pretty much over it now, and all of the great things that other posters have mentioned make it all worth living here.

Sarah

If you have lived in metro Atlanta for long, you are in for some serious culture shock. Anderson is like the red headed stepchild of the Upstate. Way less developed than the GSP area. But it is close to Clemson, if tractors are your cup of tea. :lol: (spoken as a USC graduate)

ETA just in case that seems overly snarky--I am just joking about Clemson. It is a highly respected University.

yea, and I'm originally from DC. This should be fun. :glare: DH is going to be working in Hartwell though so at least it should be better than living in Hartwell :tongue_smilie:No offense to anyone who lives in Hartwell :lol:

We live on the outskirts of Anderson and it is a nice area. We are about 40 minutes from Greenville and roughly 2hrs from Atlanta. Also about 40 minutes south is Commerce GA with some great outlet shopping :D. There is not a lot around for kids to do IMHO but we don't live that far from Greenville to go to the zoo, children's museum, monkey joe's, and chuck e cheese's. We have a Target, Wal-mart, Bi-Lo, Publix, Kohl's, Hobby Lobby, and many other chair stores. There is no Whole Foods or Trader Joes....you have to drive to Greenville for that :glare:. The library is decent and they have an online site where you can reserve things and they will e-mail you when they are ready to pick up.

I can deal with driving for sure. That was really helpful, thanks.

I am officially terrified now of what I'm going to find spider and snake wise though. :ohmy::scared:

I am officially terrified now of what I'm going to find spider and snake wise though. :ohmy::scared:

I would absolutely not be looking forward to bugs, spiders, or snakes, either, especially if they were different than the ones I'm used to seeing (and that's not many.) I would probably manage to convince myself that they were all deadly... :tongue_smilie:

One more question - someone mentioned the library. I'm very spoiled with my library here - we can go online, search the catalog, and reserve items. The library emails us when the books come in, a couple days before they are due, and the librarians are (overall) very friendly and helpful. It's also quite large.

Please tell me the library system down there is awesome!

If you are comparing a northern library system with a southern one, don't. It's just not the same, but Amazon is my best friend.

I was freaked out about the spiders, but you get used to them.

We often and in our old house in Greer, left thedoor unlocked a lot. I think the crime rate is incorrect. I feel very safe here.

If you are comparing a northern library system with a southern one, don't. It's just not the same, but Amazon is my best friend.

I was freaked out about the spiders, but you get used to them.

We often and in our old house in Greer, left thedoor unlocked a lot. I think the crime rate is incorrect. I feel very safe here.

I have no idea what you mean about northern vs. southern libraries. Both Greenville and Spartanburg counties have library systems capable of doing all those things mentioned (online catalog, reservations, email notices).

My dh will be getting a job offer down there - do we want to move? Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly. Culture, homeschooling, cost of living, anything you think might be interesting or helpful.

THanks!

Well, according to my parents and my in laws, it's not Greenville, SC. It's GREENVILLE, the center of the universe, the only place to live, where everyone is honest and kind, prices are low, the restaurants are generous, the weather is perfect, the water is good, the air is clean, where even God himself would live if he didn't already have Heaven. Indeed, God smiles his favor on GREENVILLE every day. Everyone there is not just above average, but actually superior!

According to my parents and my in laws, you'd have to be a fool to live anywhere else and pay THOSE PRICES and put up with THAT TRAFFIC!

Seriously, it cracks me up when my mom visits me in *Texas* and somebody asks her where she's from, and she answers proudly, "Greenville." Like everybody in the world knows where that is and considers her only slightly less than royalty for having such prestigious roots.

So, say hi to my mom when you get there!

Well, according to my parents and my in laws, it's not Greenville, SC. It's GREENVILLE, the center of the universe, the only place to live, where everyone is honest and kind, prices are low, the restaurants are generous, the weather is perfect, the water is good, the air is clean, where even God himself would live if he didn't already have Heaven. Indeed, God smiles his favor on GREENVILLE every day. Everyone there is not just above average, but actually superior!

According to my parents and my in laws, you'd have to be a fool to live anywhere else and pay THOSE PRICES and put up with THAT TRAFFIC!

Seriously, it cracks me up when my mom visits me in *Texas* and somebody asks her where she's from, and she answers proudly, "Greenville." Like everybody in the world knows where that is and considers her only slightly less than royalty for having such prestigious roots.

Amen.

I read this to my husband who is one of those rare Greenville natives (his parents live on land that's been in the family since 1852) and we both got a good chuckle. I would share this on fb with all my Greenville friends and family...if I hadn't deactivated my account yesterday. :-)

I have no idea what you mean about northern vs. southern libraries. Both Greenville and Spartanburg counties have library systems capable of doing all those things mentioned (online catalog, reservations, email notices).

Yes they can do all those things, but for me the most important aspect is selection and i do feel Greenville is lacking. They NEVER, well once, had a book that I've wanted. Yes, I've picked a few up through interlibrary, but it's such a hassle.

Amen.

I read this to my husband who is one of those rare Greenville natives (his parents live on land that's been in the family since 1852) and we both got a good chuckle. I would share this on fb with all my Greenville friends and family...if I hadn't deactivated my account yesterday. :-)

I'm a native Greenvillian (sp?) too. Where is that land your family owned since 1852? (I really do love the place, and do feel my roots there, despite making fun of it above.)

Here and here are other threads about GREENVILLE.

You know, I have been remiss in not mentioning the SWEET ICED TEA that you can get in Greenville. And the churches there are FAR superior to those in the rest of the country. We just don't get the music in our churches like they have in Greenville. :lol: That's due to the influence of "The University." (If you need to know which University I speak of, well, you're not from GREENVILLE.)

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Furman University? One of my boys goes there every year to soccer camp and loooves it. If you have soccer fans, that's a really cool place to see future soccer stars like Clint Dempsey

who played there 2001-2003. Sorry, but soccer is a really big deal around my house and I found it funny that no one mentioned that. :glare:

You know, I have been remiss in not mentioning the SWEET ICED TEA that you can get in Greenville. And the churches there are FAR superior to those in the rest of the country. We just don't get the music in our churches like they have in Greenville. :lol: That's due to the influence of "The University." (If you need to know which University I speak of, well, you're not from GREENVILLE.)

I think I'll bypass Greenville. There is one university there that I've been told has way too much influence. I'll stick to Charleston and Moncks Corner when I head down.

I don't get that feel...and I went to high school at "the Academy." "The University" is (mostly) an island unto itself.

Would "The Academy" and "The University" have the initials B-J-U? ;)

We used their DVD program for quite some time, and every time they showed their campus, I thought it was lovely.

I have never been to Greenville, so I have no idea about the "influence," but I would assume that if you or your kids don't attend the academy or the university, and you don't teach there, BJU wouldn't have any impact on your life unless you wanted it to.

At least that's how things are here in the NYC area. We have plenty of college towns, and there's not any particular "influence." Maybe things are different in other parts of the country I can only speak for my own area.

Cat

Cat, there are some areas, like NYC, that are so big, yes, you can avoid certain types of people. There are other areas that are small, that are heavily influenced by who is who in the area and who you are or are not associated with. I've known people that have attended BJU. I'm familiar with one couple that quit teaching there not too long along. One is doing some interesting research.

There's one school down there that my husband was supposed to start attending. He would have been getting in based on who he knew. That also collapsed when he wasn't accepted by the "in people" (it wasn't BJU).

Cat, there are some areas, like NYC, that are so big, yes, you can avoid certain types of people. There are other areas that are small, that are heavily influenced by who is who in the area and who you are or are not associated with. I've known people that have attended BJU. I'm familiar with one couple that quit teaching there not too long along. One is doing some interesting research.

There's one school down there that my husband was supposed to start attending. He would have been getting in based on who he knew. That also collapsed when he wasn't accepted by the "in people" (it wasn't BJU).

I think Greenville is too big to be heavily influenced by BJU. It's there, people know about it. But if you don't work there, don't go to school there, or don't go to one of the very small handful of BJU approved churches, it would be very easy to ignore their influence.

Hmm, some thoughts from a Greenville newbie, we've been here six months now:

1. BJU...While I was aware it was here, and am aware of some of it's philosophies, never once have I heard any thing about it as far as "influencing" anything in Greenville. Actually, have only heard BJU in any reference, about their amazing art musuem, and the HS art programs they offer. So from what I can tell, BJU pretty much keeps to itself. I did go to their HS book store, to get the BJU spanish (and they have a scratch-n-dent clearance section :D)

2. Spartanburg...only went there twice...only JoAnn's Fabric in the area and to try the Beacon restaurant (don't recommend this either, ick!)...otherwise no need to go there...everything I need is in Greenville. But I WILL say that most "bad" news comes from Spartanburg. I am sure those that live there will beg to differ greatly with me, but overall, I don't have a great opinion of it just from the general news and the times I drove through there.

3. Greer/Taylors: Spend alot of time in this area as my DS13 played baseball here from April to July. Nice overall, but small townish, with a major highway that goes through. Taylors is not really a "town'" with a downtown area...more like a suburbia area...you know you drive from Greenville to Greers and there's an area called Taylors...no clear stop or start or town...just an area. While there are alot of cute outlying areas in the Greer/Taylors area..overall, it is not that convenient to alot of things, because it's way on the north end, and it has a very "country" feel (which is not for me, lol). Greer does have a small downtown area, cute, but overall, I don't see much to do there. I think that I would have to do alot of driving to go other places to do things, as it's a good place to live, but not alot to do, IMHO (although they do have a huge co-op at a church right there)

4. We live in the "East" side, I guess...near Simpsonville, Five Forks/Pelham area. We are kind of on the edge of town, so if we go one way, we can hit "country" in 5 minutes or less with some nice big beautiful houses on acreages, or if we do the other way, in 5 minutes we can hit the major road, Woodruff, that has EVERYTHING on it. We're 5 minutes from the interstate the other direction, but yet we feel like we are not right on top of everything. Lots of nice beautiful subdivisions around. We about 15 minutes from downtown Greenville, which is lovely, but we just don't go often, cuz not alot we need there. I often go into Simpsonville (10-15 minutes depending where in Simpsonville) and it is a cute little town, that kind of merges right into Greenville. No clear cut stop-n-start, but it does have it's own downtown area. There's other towns/suburbia's that we have never been too, yet, like Traveler's Rest, Easley, Mauldin, etc basically all outlying areas of Greenville, that offer alot of suburbia subdivisions as well as "country areas".

We did get a membership to the zoo, which is very small, takes us about 2 hours tops, but good for a nice day to get out of the house (and mainly we got it for the discounts to other ,better zoos).

We also got a membership to the Science Center ($25 for teachers!!), as it offers fun things to do ,but again, mostly for the discount to other bigger science centers.

Anderson: My DS13 plays football in Anderson, as they offer a team for homeschoolers in middle/high school (It's a daily 50 minutes drive to Anderson from our interstate exit). It seems fine, small/decent town. Nothing strikes me as amazing, or horrible about it. I assume it has it's pockets, of good and bad, but I've seen neither in our drives around town to various locations, so they must not be too horrible.

Library: Mediocre, when I compare it to the other states/cities we have lived in. They have a decent selection, but I am rarely able to find everything I am looking for. The branches are small, and not "pretty", the children's area are pretty bare bones. I guess I like it when they are a completely separate room. But I've been to worse libraries, so that is why I say mediocre. Online reservations/holds, yes they offer that.

Crime: Again, I assume there are "pockets", but I've never felt in danger or scared. I do lock my doors out of habit. But I think those pockets are everywhere in the world, and as long as you stay away from those pockets, you are usually fine. Honestly, in our ramblings out and about, I've yet to see a "pocket" that made me feel like I was on the wrong side of town (well, except for when I went to Spartanburg)

Overall, I love Greenville. We are city-ish, yet go 10-15 minutes in any direction, and you will be out in the country. Great economy right now, with lots of new companies announcing hiring. Bodes well for us all. Lots of crunchiness, with Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Aldi's and Earthfare ( a local chain with natural/organic bend). Great HSing community...lots of things to do, yet not too $$$, very friendly people. I could tell you several stories of "friendliness" that I have never experienced in my life from strangers. The important thing to remember, is there are ALOT of transplants here. It's rare to find a true-blue, born in Greenville person. So most people you meet, have been the "new in town" person and are willing to welcome you, at least in Greenville metro. Now it might a different story once you start hitting those small towns on the outskirts, who knows. The other thing I like about Greenville is that they are "up and coming". It's not a old small southern city stuck in it's ways. Overall, the city emits a vibrant personality with a ear to what's going on out in the world, and eyes looking ahead. They offer many family friendly functions, work hard to keep downtown fresh and appealing yet seem to take care if it's citizens too.

Bugs, ya get used to them. Black widows, on the other hand, we've never experienced so many....we've seen 4 in the last few months in/around our house. Scary!!

Edited by Samiam

I think the Spartanburg/Greenville differences just have to do with what you prefer. More traffic, more options, stores, etc in Greenville or less of all that in Spartanburg. :) I don't think more bad news comes out of Spartanburg at all. It just depends on what area you live in. Same is true for Greenville.

Samiam-Just a heads up if you buy a membership at the Western NC Nature Center in Asheville it covers all the zoos and science centers for reciprocal admission!

I don't think BJU affects the culture of Greenville at all. It's there-some know about it and some don't.

It is so helpful to read posts by both newbies and "long-timers," because it's encouraging to see that the consensus is that Greenville is a great place (and according to a select few, if Greenville is not actually Heaven itself, then it's possibly pretty close to it. :tongue_smilie:) I didn't even start this thread, and I've already told my dh it might be time to take a little trip to Greenville. :p

I'm pretty sure he wishes I would never go online... ;)

Cat

You are mandated to use the state grading scale (really really stinks IMO) and weighting (look for uniform grading scale - dumbest thing ever).

Actually, SC homeschoolers aren't mandated to use grades or any state grading scale as part of their homeschooling. If they're high school students and want to qualify for state scholarships, then you have to submit transcripts of high school courses and give them a grade based on the state grading scale. Otherwise, you don't have to give grades at all.

Warmly,

Dianna

Actually, SC homeschoolers aren't mandated to use grades or any state grading scale as part of their homeschooling. If they're high school students and want to qualify for state scholarships, then you have to submit transcripts of high school courses and give them a grade based on the state grading scale. Otherwise, you don't have to give grades at all.

Warmly,

Dianna

That'd be nice.

SCAIHS mandates the state scale.

I asked at our homeschooling group and was told that the state scale was mandated. I don't see it in the law... but the state scale is there... (I've still got a few years but I really hate the way the scale computes GPA).

So it'd be possible to have one transcript for SC schools, a different one for out of state schools (doing GPA normally)?

I just so so so don't want to do the dratted GPA with the points (talk about creating a grade-grubbing situation!)

Well, dh was offered the job - but decided not to take it. We both really love the area, but the job was just too iffy. Company going through a reorg, mature market, run down facilities, yada, yada, yada.

I'm disappointed, but it was the right decision.

Oh, well. I wouldn't want to move anywhere right now if the job was iffy. Do you mind telling me who the offer was from? You can PM me if you don't want to share on the board. I'm just curious...:D