Menu

Do your kids have electronics in their rooms?

Do you allow these in your kids bedrooms?  

1. 1. Do you allow these in your kids bedrooms?

• Yes, Phone
    • Yes, Computer
    • Yes, Video Games (xbox, wii, nintendo etc.)
    • Yes, TV
    • Yes everything or anything!
    • No, absolutely not!

I voted "no", but we have a lot of electronics in the house. We have 3 computers and are frequently using all 3 at the same time, we just have plenty of room in the main part of our house to keep them. Only 1 TV in our whole house, we just seem to be more into computers and music/audio books.

I am just curious if anyone lets their children have TV, video games, phone, computer, etc in their bedrooms. My siblings let their kids and we are talking 6yrs and under! Then I hear it from my kids...LOL

Editing to add: We do allow cd players for music and books on cd, in the bedrooms. I didn't count them in the poll as, around me and the people I know, it's a normal thing to have. I would feel lost without my music! :)

Our kids have a little CD player for the same reason. No other electronics though. I never had a phone in my room as a kid and I don't think we will let the kids have them either - although with cordless phones they can take them anywhere they like. :D

Our dd is only 6, but no, she doesn't have any electronics at all in her room. She is allowed to use the family CD player in the living room. (We retain veto power over her music choices, though, or it would be wall-to-wall Disney Princess ballads. :willy_nilly:) The computer is adults-only, and she doesn't have anyone to call on the phone. We don't own a TV or any video games.

dd11 has a tv with basic cable (small tv, basic cable is free on it because when you have the package we have, you get the basic on up to 4 other tv's), dvd player, cd player, and she used to have a ps1 there...she now owns a ps2 and that's in the living room - but only because dh is away working on the other side of the country and not here to hog the downstairs with his own gaming. ;) ....it's rare now that she uses the tv up there, and when she does, she's only allowed to watch Family Channel (shows like Hannah Montana, Raven, and such are on there) or the cartoon channel, unless she's asked about a program on another channel and I've okay'd it...

ds9 doesn't have any electronic stuff in his room - he has multiple disabilities and the only piece of electronics like those that he uses is a cd player, with which he needs assistance to operate....he uses that downstairs. :)

Like many, the boys have a cd player in their room. The "boys" are almost 5 and practically 7. They listen to audiobooks, meditations, or music at night. As a kid, I did not have any electronics in my room. At this point, it hasn't been an issue for us. Pretty much everyone the boys are friends with also have no electronics in their rooms. However, electronics abound in the rest of the house. There is a tv and dvd player in the office/guest room. In our family room, we have a tv, dvd player, and Wii. In the playroom, there is a tv (with cable), vcr, vsmile and Xbox 360. The boys also have a leapster and mp3 players (mainly used when we travel). We listen to music as a family quite often on the cd player in the family room. Amazingly enough in spite of the abundance of techno gadgets, ds1 and ds2 spend alot of time playing outside. I don't require that they ask for permission to watch tv but they always do. I am pretty strict on what they are allowed to watch. We DVR everything so we never watch "live" tv. I abhor commercials and don't like for the boys to watch them. The gaming systems are usually played only on weekends. We have a desktop and two laptops and the boys have access to them all. Ds1 goes to a few select websites and we're always nearby.

Tonya

DH and I made a deal with each other before we even had children that there would be no TV, video games, computers or phones in the children's rooms. They've never strongly protested except when they visit their cousins, who have a Circuit City store in their bedrooms.

We have one family computer and we limit time (30 mins/day unless for school) and sites (each has a bookmarked folder). We have TV/DVD/VCR upstairs and down but no cable, so there's no network at all except a few rabbit-ear channels upstairs. We have a PS2 but time is limited on that as well.

Each child has an MP3 player and a CD player (and an alarm clock!) in his/her room. Eldest also has a tape recorder and a weather radio, which he paid for from his allowance.

They each have their own CD player, but that's it. My 11 yo recently asked me when he could get a TV in his room. I told him when he can afford to buy the TV, pay for the cable and the room that it would go in. He was not amused.;)