Menu

Please Create a Russian Lit List for Me to Read

I am looking for suggestions for classic Russian literature picks to check out from the library and read myself. I just finished reading a biography on Dostoevsky, and am now painfully aware of how limited my Russian Lit background is. I haven't even read any Pushkin! I did watch a miniseries once of Anna Karenina once. :tongue_smilie: Oh wait, I think I read the Cherry Orchard in high school, but I don't remember what it was about. See what I mean? Woefully ignorant!

Please tell me what I should read, and where I should start. Maybe term your suggestions in "Easy", "Medium" and "Hard" so I can build up steam. I have a two year old and a first grader so I'm going to be reading in snatches.

Thank you!

I put a tag on your thread for "Russian Literature" so you could search for the other tagged threads. There was a good conversation on this topic last winter, I think.

I don't care for Tolstoy myself, but I like Solzhenitsyn, although his "novels" border on "history" -- probably why I like him better :) I've always thought it might be fun to do an in-depth comparison of One Day In The Life of Ivan D. (Solzhenitsyn) to The Death of Ivan Ilyich (Tolstoy), since they are both short in length and more limited in scope, so easier to compare.

Julie

For Tolstoy, I would start with his short stories. I liked them much better than I did Anna Karenina and I've never even attempted War and Peace because I've heard such negative reviews from people I respect about that. Do watch the Christopher Plummer/Helen Mirren film about Tolstoy called The Last Station.