Menu

Is 3rd grade too early to start teaching deadlines?

I'm thinking of handing my child a book and telling him he has until xxx date to have read five chapters (or some similiar type of assignment) and then come to me with a narration of what he's read.

He's 8.5 yr old and has just started 3rd grade. In the past he's just read and afterwards I've asked him to tell me about his book, but he's never had to budget his time or work with a deadline before.

No. I think he's old enough. In some ways Im sure you have prepaired him for this more then you think. Things like, "You have ten minutes left to play, then its time for a bath." or "You have one hour to get your room clean." Or what not. Im sure it will be good. Give him two or three days. And remind him a few times. And Im sure it will be honky dorey.

I started working with my dd8 in 3rd grade on some time schedules. I broke it down into steps for her though.

For us, her big project was a science fair. We took the calendar and put the steps needed to do it on the calendar, so she knew what to do each day to finish in time.

For something smaller like a book narration, I would say that she owes me a narration on Friday. I would have her write it down on her to do list. I would remind her as well or ask if she had finished her chapters yet, etc.

We have started some of this with dd 8yo, gr 3. We tried a bit last year and found that it didn't work so well. I don't know if it was because she just wasn't ready, if we didn't approach it properly, didn't give her the right support structures or what but this year she seems much more capable of meeting deadlines. The other thing I am doing is that during the day she may have a certain amount of time for a subject and if it is not completed she is responsible to do it on her quiet time. With 3 students this year the timing of our schedule is important and I can't have dawdling throwing the whole day off.

Teaching how to deal with deadlines? No.

Handing the child a book and telling them to be at Chapter 5 by next Wednesday? Yes.

If you want to teach deadlines, then you need to teach all the steps. Starting with figuring out how much needs to get done and how to divide it up into steps. And then how to get those steps done. And what to do when something happens and you get off the neat schedule.

Teaching how to deal with deadlines? No.

Handing the child a book and telling them to be at Chapter 5 by next Wednesday? Yes.

If you want to teach deadlines, then you need to teach all the steps. Starting with figuring out how much needs to get done and how to divide it up into steps. And then how to get those steps done. And what to do when something happens and you get off the neat schedule.

:iagree:

I think it's fine, but I'd do one chapter at a time. :001_smile:

You want to breed success.

:iagree: Like right now my 5th grader is assigned to read minimum of 20 pages of an assigned book a day. My 2nd grader reads a page aloud of whatever she's reading with DH or myself to one of us every night.

And even getting daily work done can teach deadlines. I told my kids they had to have most their work done by 1 pm today to go to our playgroup. Didn't work out this week (almost never happens!). So we did not go to playgroup. I have a feeling that one stung and I'll reap some rewards for follow through on this today.