Menu

Volunteer Ideas for Veteran's Day

Soror

Can you share what you or your group is doing for Veteran's Day?

We have a trip to our local Veteran's Museum planned for Veteran's Day however it would be nice to do some volunteering/service project as well. We live relatively rural and options are limited. We have a Veteran's Hospital but my understanding is that they just don't let people volunteer without going through certain shots and such(one of our members is a veteran and her husband works there as well). I thought about baskets/boxes for oversees veterans but our group doesn't have much money and neither do our members. Any other ideas? We have a lot in the 1-3rd grade age range, so it needs to be relatively simple and cheap- is that too much to ask ?

Thanks in Advance!!!

We have a trip to our local Veteran's Museum planned for Veteran's Day however it would be nice to do some volunteering/service project as well. We live relatively rural and options are limited. We have a Veteran's Hospital but my understanding is that they just don't let people volunteer without going through certain shots and such(one of our members is a veteran and her husband works there as well). I thought about baskets/boxes for oversees veterans but our group doesn't have much money and neither do our members. Any other ideas? We have a lot in the 1-3rd grade age range, so it needs to be relatively simple and cheap- is that too much to ask ?

Our American Heritage Girls troop does a Veteran's Day service project. They make thank you cards for the veterans and they pass them out to all of the veterans who come to the local military museum.

Other ideas and organizations that help veterans and current members of the military:

Give 2 the Troops supports deployed soldiers, military families and units. If you wanted to send a case of just about *anything*, they would parcel it out into care packages.

http://www.give2thetroops.org/

If you live close to a military base or even an airport, you can volunteer with the USO. There are USO lounges in many major airports that are used by members of the military, including those going to and from deployments.

http://www.uso.org/

You could use Veteran's Day to make cards for deployed soldiers and send them through the Red Cross. They have a "Holiday Mail for Heroes" program. The American Red Cross has *several* programs to help support the military and military veterans, contact your local branch to see which programs are available locally.

The Wounded Warrior Project works with soldiers injured in combat

Operation Homefront supports the families of deployed soldiers in countless ways. If you have a local military base or national guard unit, find out if there are families in need in your area. It could be as simple as offering to do some yardwork for a wife whose husband is deployed.

Are you an animal lover? You can foster the pet of a deployed soldier:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/assignments/a/petfostercare.htm

Do you have a local VFW? They could always use volunteers. So could the American Legion. They both have posts all over the country.

Do you have a local Gold Star Moms or Gold Star Wives group? Gold Star Moms are women who have lost a child in combat, Gold Star Wives are men or women who have lost a spouse in combat.

Mission HeartHug sends care packages to military spouses.

Our American Heritage Girls troop does a Veteran's Day service project. They make thank you cards for the veterans and they pass them out to all of the veterans who come to the local military museum.

Other ideas and organizations that help veterans and current members of the military:

Give 2 the Troops supports deployed soldiers, military families and units. If you wanted to send a case of just about *anything*, they would parcel it out into care packages.

http://www.give2thetroops.org/

If you live close to a military base or even an airport, you can volunteer with the USO. There are USO lounges in many major airports that are used by members of the military, including those going to and from deployments.

http://www.uso.org/

You could use Veteran's Day to make cards for deployed soldiers and send them through the Red Cross. They have a "Holiday Mail for Heroes" program. The American Red Cross has *several* programs to help support the military and military veterans, contact your local branch to see which programs are available locally.

The Wounded Warrior Project works with soldiers injured in combat

Operation Homefront supports the families of deployed soldiers in countless ways. If you have a local military base or national guard unit, find out if there are families in need in your area. It could be as simple as offering to do some yardwork for a wife whose husband is deployed.

Are you an animal lover? You can foster the pet of a deployed soldier:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/assignments/a/petfostercare.htm

Do you have a local VFW? They could always use volunteers. So could the American Legion. They both have posts all over the country.

Do you have a local Gold Star Moms or Gold Star Wives group? Gold Star Moms are women who have lost a child in combat, Gold Star Wives are men or women who have lost a spouse in combat.

Mission HeartHug sends care packages to military spouses.

Wow! Thanks for all these ideas!

This past Memorial Day we worked with a local girl scout troop to remove American flags from the National Cemetery. So maybe there is a National Cemetery close where you could help place or remove flags.

Wow! Thanks for all these ideas!

This past Memorial Day we worked with a local girl scout troop to remove American flags from the National Cemetery. So maybe there is a National Cemetery close where you could help place or remove flags.

You should volunteer to clean a veteran's house. I'll PM my address. :D

Thanks Mrs Mungo for all the great ideas- you've given me some good leads. We do have a Guard unit- my dad has been a member for 30+ yrs but he hasn't been great about ideas. I know when he was deployed he ended up with a 3 yr surplus of toothpaste, so I really want to make it something useful. I like the idea of helping individual soldiers w/ yardwork and such we are doing a service project just like that for the elderly though this semester as well. I like the idea of boxes for the spouse or children, that could really be something neat. Cards are always easy as well. Lots of links to check, thanks again!

You could have the little ones make cards and pictures while the parents write thank you letters, then mail to the closest veteran's hospital to cheer up the veterans there.

If you have older kids in the group who might like a veteran pen pal, you can include their names and addresses when you send your letters. Maybe include some stationery and stamps and such to help make that feasible?

Thanks for the continued ideas- we don't have a military cemetery or do you just mean any cemetery(and then how do you know who is a veteran)?

Info we have on the VA here is that you have to have to go through a HUGE process to be allowed to visit, which seemed to involve certain immunizations.

The cards seem like a doable idea for sure---