Menu

What do you think Ike is a nickname for?

Okay jumped through the thread…I can kinda see it for Isaac but how in the world do you guys get Ike from "Dwight"? It doesn't even sound like it!

I looked it up. Seems all the boys in that family were nicknamed Ike - Big Ike, Little Ike and so forth. The story goes that our former prez was stuck with Ugly Ike, and that he was the only one to carry Ike into adulthood.

I've not heard it used as a nickname for anyone but our former prez. I thought it was something specific to him.

We have a son that we've called Ike from day one. It's the name I liked and wanted, but since it sounds like a nickname we gave him a more formal name and just call him Ike. The formal name is what I'd always believed Ike was a nickname for. But since his birth 5+ years ago, I've come to realize that just maybe I was wrong about this. The latest was when our priest asked me if there was a St. Ike, or which saint is his patron saint (his formal name is a common Orthodox name, so I realized that he didn't think of Ike as a nickname for this formal name). I wonder if he's been calling him Ike at the eucharistic chalice.

So I'd be interested in hearing what you think Ike is a nickname for (don't Google it -- I want to know what YOU think based on your past information/experience).

Both sets of grandparents have called my son Ike. His given name is Isaac. Younger people don't seem to go there with the Ike nickname. It seems to be mostly the over 60 group.