Menu

Listing dual enrollment separately from at home courses on transcript

Has anyone else listed dual enrollment courses separately on the transcript from at-home courses?

I'm stressed about converting from college credit to high school credit, so I think this may help me out.

How does this work? Do I just let the colleges decide how much credit to award it when doing GPA? I wouldn't include them in my GPA, but I'll send the transcript from the CC to the colleges I am applying to.

I use a bold font for CC classes with a note of explanation about CC and their guidelines for awarding HS credit. Some classes are worth 1/2 credit and some are worth 1 credit. If you PM me with your email address, I can send you a copy of similar transcripts in Excel format.

Your CC may have similar guidelines.

HTH!

I use a bold font for CC classes with a note of explanation about CC and their guidelines for awarding HS credit. Some classes are worth 1/2 credit and some are worth 1 credit. If you PM me with your email address, I can send you a copy of similar transcripts in Excel format.

Your CC may have similar guidelines.

HTH!

Thanks, PM'ing you.

I used footnotes for cc classes & for dd#1's virtual school class.

For credits, I counted all cc classes as 1 semester = 1 hs credit. For #2's biology w/lab, she got an additional .25 credit since the lab was listed under a separate class #.

The GPA, I didn't weigh anything--just did the straight math. We heard a one of the large FL state schools that they re-figure the GPA anyway to make sure all honors, cc, AP's are weighted the same. Understandable since they get applications from all over the country plus internationally.

I put an * by classes taken the local high school and a ** by classes taken at the community college. I noted this on the bottom of the transcript and requested that the school send transcripts to the college.

I did this too, but since I was in Public School for 9th and 10th, I'm unsure if I should put those grades on there or not. They don't use a 4.0 GPA scale (and I do) so it would be confusing to recalculate and then for the college to get 9th and 10th grade grades on a 4.0 and a different scale, even though they do recalculate themselves.

I sent one transcript to a college already, and they weren't bothered that it only had 11th and 12th grade on there, I just think it looks weird.

Would you include 9th and 10th grade on the transcript, or only 11th and 12th? Obviously I'll be sending the transcript from my old high school, it just may be easier for them to see them all in one place and compare.

Has anyone else listed dual enrollment courses separately on the transcript from at-home courses?

I'm stressed about converting from college credit to high school credit, so I think this may help me out.

How does this work? Do I just let the colleges decide how much credit to award it when doing GPA? I wouldn't include them in my GPA, but I'll send the transcript from the CC to the colleges I am applying to.

Possibly you're confused about what "credit" and "GPA" refer to. :-)

A one-semester c.c. course is worth one year of high school credit. IOW, in California, each high school course receives 10 credits (5 credits per semester; in some states, it's 1 credit per semester, 2 per year.

That doesn't have anything to do with GPA (Grade Point Average). It only has to do with the number of credits accumulated.

An "A" has 4 points; a "B" has 3 points; a "C" has 2 points; a "D" has 1 point.

Orkie might have 16 credits on his transcript with a 4.0 GPA, because he earned A's in all those classes, while Arnie also has 16 credits but a GPA of 2.0 because he goofed off and the average of the grades earned in each of those classes equals 2.0.

On my transcripts, I included a "T" for all grades that were earned as "Transfer" credits, and the legend on the bottom of the transcript read "T=transferred credit H.S. level or above."

and put an asterisk or like with an explanation key at the bottom. Two of my children have 3 or more different places high school credit was awarded (we moved twice) and it's easier.

More and more I'm hearing (I have several friends who are admissions counselors-different states, different colleges) that the main thing colleges are looking at is SAT/ACT scores and community service. The standard transcript is just a formality (according to them).

My oldest daughter was enrolled in a public charter school for 9th grade, so when I put her courses on her transcript, I just put an asterisk and noted that they were transfer courses. The college that she applied to for dual enrollment accepted her transcript with no additional questions, so that worked for us!

For dual enrollment courses, I'll be indicating those in some way on my transcript (haven't figured that out yet), and then we'll send both our homeschool transcript and her college transcript when she applies to colleges. We won't bother requesting or sending a copy of her 9th grade transcript from the charter school. The subsequent courses validate her 9th grade courses.

Possibly you're confused about what "credit" and "GPA" refer to. :-)

A one-semester c.c. course is worth one year of high school credit. IOW, in California, each high school course receives 10 credits (5 credits per semester; in some states, it's 1 credit per semester, 2 per year.

That doesn't have anything to do with GPA (Grade Point Average). It only has to do with the number of credits accumulated.

An "A" has 4 points; a "B" has 3 points; a "C" has 2 points; a "D" has 1 point.

Orkie might have 16 credits on his transcript with a 4.0 GPA, because he earned A's in all those classes, while Arnie also has 16 credits but a GPA of 2.0 because he goofed off and the average of the grades earned in each of those classes equals 2.0.

On my transcripts, I included a "T" for all grades that were earned as "Transfer" credits, and the legend on the bottom of the transcript read "T=transferred credit H.S. level or above."

No, I know the difference between credit and GPA.

I know that different colleges award different credit to 3-credit college courses. Some colleges give it .5 and some give it 1. No matter how I put it on my transcript, they'll know it was a 3-credit course when the college sends the transcript. They'll decide what they want to do with it based on their standards. That figures into the GPA because on a 4.0 scale, a .5 credit class gets a 2.0 and a 1 credit class gets a 4.0 when calculating the GPA. Also, college courses in Massachusetts get an automatic AP weight (if the college weights) so a 1 credit would be 5.0 and a .5 credit would be a 2.5.

I have to call the colleges for their official college credit to high school credit policies.

Stephanie an A would be a 4.0 whether it was for one credit or half a credit. What would be different is how that 4.0 is averaged into the rest of the classes. I know there was a thread in the past explaining how to get the GPA, and it showed some good methods. For me, I think the easiest is to simply count each .5 credit once, and each 1.0 credit twice - when figuring the average. IOW, a 4.0 in a 1 credit class would be added in twice into the sum of the grades for each of the courses, but a 4.0 in a .5 class would only be listed once. Then the list of these are added and divided by the number listed and that becomes the GPA. There are so many different ways to do this, but I think this is one of the easiest.

I know exactly what you mean about how the colleges will assign their own point value to the courses though. It's hard to know if you should list it as a 4.0 or a 4.5 or even a 5.0 for the cc classes. I think it's easiest to list everything as unweighted and let them weight the GPA to their standards. Be sure to make a notation on your transcript that the GPA is unweighted.

Stephanie an A would be a 4.0 whether it was for one credit or half a credit. What would be different is how that 4.0 is averaged into the rest of the classes. I know there was a thread in the past explaining how to get the GPA' date=' and it showed some good methods. For me, I think the easiest is to simply count each .5 credit once, and each 1.0 credit twice - when figuring the average. IOW, a 4.0 in a 1 credit class would be added in twice into the sum of the grades for each of the courses, but a 4.0 in a .5 class would only be listed once. Then the list of these are added and divided by the number listed and that becomes the GPA. There are so many different ways to do this, but I think this is one of the easiest.

I know exactly what you mean about how the colleges will assign their own point value to the courses though. It's hard to know if you should list it as a 4.0 or a 4.5 or even a 5.0 for the cc classes. I think it's easiest to list everything as unweighted and let them weight the GPA to their standards. Be sure to make a notation on your transcript that the GPA is unweighted.[/quote']

This is how I do it:

Say I have 5 classes - 3 are 1 credit and 2 are .5 credit. I got an "A" in all of them (to make this exercise easier ;))

I add the course GPA's (cutting the .5 credit class GPA's in half in this step) 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 2.0, 2.0, and divide by 4 and get 4.0. That is why the credit assigned matters to my GPA calculation.

I see how you do it though. You double the 1 credit class instead of halving the .5 credit class.

This is how I do it:

Say I have 5 classes - 3 are 1 credit and 2 are .5 credit. I got an "A" in all of them (to make this exercise easier ;))

I add the course GPA's (cutting the .5 credit class GPA's in half in this step) 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, 2.0, 2.0, and divide by 4 and get 4.0. That is why the credit assigned matters to my GPA calculation.

I see how you do it though. You double the 1 credit class instead of halving the .5 credit class.

I'm glad you explained what you do - that makes sense!

Valerie's system is the one I couldn't think well enough to describe tonight, and the one I'd suggest using. I was afraid that you were only giving yourself a C on an A in a .5 credit class. :lol: