Menu

Wheeler's Elementary Speller

Bula Mama

I've been seeing this mentioned a lot lately and would like to take a closer look. Unfortunately you cannot download from Google Books outside the US so I would have to order a print copy.

I see that people are starting it in 1st and 2nd. What would be the upper range of use for this book? Too easy for a 4th grader?

I download these out-of-copyright books from archive.org.

For a fourth grader who has had prior phonics instruction, I think it might be easy. You may download and check for yourself.

Thanks! I did a Kindle download but the format was terrible so I clicked to read it online (can't do the PDF, that takes me to Google Books) and can view it to preview it that way. I can at least test him in a few spots to see if it's too easy and then order a print copy if it fits him.

Free online would be better, of course, if there is a way!

Thanks!!!

http://www.archive.org/details/wheelerselement00wheegoog

How about the full text? Or is this a nightmare? I was able to see the lists pretty clearly.

I also searched for Wheeler's Elementary Speller pdf and came up with a link to

http:// kobobooks.com/ ; if you search for this book and click download Pdf, That links to a pdf on archive. It's from google books. Not sure if this will work for you, though.

http://www.archive.org/details/wheelerselement00wheegoog

How about the full text? Or is this a nightmare? I was able to see the lists pretty clearly.

I also searched for Wheeler's Elementary Speller pdf and came up with a link to

http:// kobobooks.com/ ; if you search for this book and click download Pdf, That links to a pdf on archive. It's from google books. Not sure if this will work for you, though.

Thanks for checking for me! I can see the full text at archive.org to view it online so at least I can see how fast it progresses. I can't download from the Google Books PDF, though.

I can email you the pdf file if you want. This is our second year using Wheeler's. Both my dd and I love it. I wanted to avoid long lists of words to be memorized because I had that type of spelling in school and it was mind-numbing and torturous. Wheeler's combines phonics instruction with copywork and word construction. As nansk mentioned, it is probably considered "too easy" for a 4th grader with prior phonics instruction, which is exactly who I am using it with, but I am extremely satisfied with it anyway. I didn't start spelling with my dd until she was in 3rd grade. I wanted her to be reading solidly first. Her spelling was atrocious (phonetic, definitely, but often incorrect). We have worked through one Wheeler's lesson a day, and even though it seems like infinitesimal progress, the improvement in her spelling has been incredible.

There is also Wheeler's Graded Studies in Great Authors, a spelling dictation program, for after the Elementary Speller.

Tara

Thanks, ladies!!! Someone from here just emailed me the PDF and I love the look of the book. My ds is actually a pretty good speller but think that the 2nd 1/2 of the book will be great practice for him and work on all around skills quite well.

I didn't know about the 2nd book. Will put that on my 'to get' list but I can already see that I'm going to have the same issue as with the first.

Oh my, nansk, your download link works!!! I can't even get that option in India. Just a notice that I can't download outside of the US.

Thanks so much everyone. :001_smile:

1. I search for the book I want on archive.org (filter by type = Text).

2. If the book is available it comes out in the Search Results.

3. I click on the book title which takes me to a page with the details of the book (like this one.)

4. Then I click the little option in the left column that says "All Files: HTTP".

5. This takes me to a page which lists all the downloads for that book.

6. Look for the PDF link, right-click on it, and choose the option that says "Save Target As".

7. Then save it to your computer.

Hope that helps.