Menu

DD asked me to ask you...

Mommyfaithe

a few free resources that you might want to check out:

http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

http://www.inquiryinaction.org/

Not sure of the grade level as we are not there yet - but they looked very interesting (and they were developed by the american chemical society with the purpose of teaching the core science concepts behind the fun).

my "feller bees" for suggestions on a fun, not boring, science program. I have assured her there is no such thing, but she doesn't believe me and asked me to ask all of you. She is in 8th grade ...and we have been using (and I use that term lightly...) Apologia General Science.

Thanks...

Faithe

You know, Faithe, I think my dd would have actually insisted on going to school if I had not listened to her about that book. (and this dd NEVER wanted to be anything other than homeschooled!) That books is awful!

Some ideas for a textbook route might be go use Plato science (all of the middle school ones or perhaps the physical science one) or maybe just go ahead and do something like Friendly Chemistry or Science Shepherd's Life Science or Biology. http://scienceshepherd.com/lifescience.htm

a few free resources that you might want to check out:

http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

http://www.inquiryinaction.org/

Not sure of the grade level as we are not there yet - but they looked very interesting (and they were developed by the american chemical society with the purpose of teaching the core science concepts behind the fun).

:iagree:I am using middle school chemistry with my seventh graders. They love it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I hate the book too...but my older boys both loved it...go figure.

For my girls, I have always done "living" science integrated with our history studies...and tons of nature study/ natural history. We drew, diagrammed, experimented etc. Both dd's LOVED this approach and learned soooo much.

I may just do that...I will look into all the book suggestions too.

Thanks ...If there are any other ideas...please, fire away!

Faithe

For my girls, I have always done "living" science integrated with our history studies...and tons of nature study/ natural history. We drew, diagrammed, experimented etc. Both dd's LOVED this approach and learned soooo much.

Faithe

My son also really liked General Science. I don't think my dd would though, and will probably skip to Physical Science when I move her over to Apologia (she's doing supercharged science for 7th grade).

Merry :-)

Actually your dead wrong:) http://www.superchargedscience.com is AWESOME and FUN and kicks butt on every other program out there. Best of all, you basically hand the computer over to the kids and let them have at it. They do the experiment first then learn the science behind it which really gets the kids wanting to learn the "why" of how it happens:)

Faithe

My oldest son did that book the first year we homeschooled and we had a good time, probably because it is idiot proof. Swimmer Dude would not only go back to school if I made him use it, he would probably leave home.:tongue_smilie:

I vote for doing living science your way. In fact, I would like to hear more. I have discovered that neither Swimmer Dude nor myself enjoy doing one whole year of a discipline. In fact, real life seems to present so many different opportunities that I am trying to be more flexible. We are getting ready to do some biology, but we are also taking a four day road trip that will include an amazing cave system, lava beds, and an ancient forest, so we'll be doing some of our earth science then. I have given up trying to be so systematic. Since he started sailing, I have been trying to add some kind of marine science every once in a while. Corraleno (Jackie) really has some awesome ideas, but I don't think she is around much.

Faithe

I think that's the direction I'm going to go with my 8th grader. She'll get a binder or notebook and we'll focus on structured experiments (we'll just follow SWB's outline for forming a hypothesis in the grammar stage science) and lots of reading. I have Singapore IS and I love it and see why it would be an awesome choice but I just can't seem to get it to work in our schooling.