Menu

日本語 Japanese learners/speakers/teachers?? Let's start a group!

Wendi

My son and I are learning Japanese. I'm staying ahead of him! We are looking for a Japanese tutor. We have some new friends in Japan (we met them while they were here on a homestay program), so we can also practice long-distance with them. (Through Facebook, email, and Skype.)

I love learning languages! I am really enjoying Japanese, although the writing is a challenge right now. My hiragana looks pretty nice, and I can recognize it fairly well, but it's still hard for me to recall many of them when I'm trying to write. I've only learned a few kanji so far.

Anyway, at least we have an academic excuse to watch Studio Ghibli films and various anime in Japanese now. I've also found a sweet Japanese TV show to watch online; it's called "Marumo no Okite". Here's the theme song; it's かわいい。

Wendi

We started briefly with Japanese last year. We haven't picked it up again this year yet, we're doing a block type schedule and will start in November.

What kind of group were you interested in starting? I would like ds to have an opportunity to explore this outside of just him and me studying.

Have you seen NHK?

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/

They have broadcasts in many languages inc English and Japanese and have Japanese lessons for English learners (and others, but I am skipping that).

I used to watch Japanese dramas on tv. Can you get those? They are usually 13 episodes. I mostly watched subtitled ones. Some are nice. Some are weird!

I studied Japanese in college and even got a masters in East Asian Studies, but have not used it in years. Just yesterday I downloaded my first "app" on my new Iphone, and it was Kanji Sticky pad. I'm ready to get back in it!

Dana (who doesn't have any program for typing Japanese on her computer, so maybe you can recommend one. Believe it or not, such things did not exist when I was more active in my Japanese study!)

I was born and raised in Japan. I've never studied Japanese formally but I have taught Japanese to individuals and to groups. I failed to continue teaching my own children Japanese, though. I'll have to get ds14 (aka Tech Support) to figure out the Japanese font thing. I've forgotten almost all my kanji though since I haven't used it in 30 years. Yes, 30 years!