Menu

Is four dual-enrollment classes a "full load?"

Dd16 is taking at our local CC:

*Composition & Rhetoric I (freshman comp--honors section)

*Intro Chem (a one-semester chemistry course that is comparable to a high school chem course, but done in one semester)

*College Algebra (the first semester of pre-calc; 2nd semester is trig)

*Spanish II (online, college level)

The assigned units or credit-hours add up to 14.

She is doing history at home ala WTM (3rd year in the 4-year rotation). I've also added in Art History using the Barron's AP book and Gardner's Art Through the Ages, because she has no other fine arts credits.

I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much with two additional classes at home, given that what she's taking at CC is a full college load in terms of credit hours.

Thoughts?

TIA,

Dd16 is taking at our local CC:

*Composition & Rhetoric I (freshman comp--honors section)

*Intro Chem (a one-semester chemistry course that is comparable to a high school chem course, but done in one semester)

*College Algebra (the first semester of pre-calc; 2nd semester is trig)

*Spanish II (online, college level)

She is doing history at home ala WTM (3rd year in the 4-year rotation). I've also added in Art History using the Barron's AP book and Gardner's Art Through the Ages, because she has no other fine arts credits.

I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much with two additional classes at home, given that what she's taking at CC is a full college load in terms of credit hours.

Thoughts?

TIA,

I think it depends on the student. My oldest loves history and art so adding them at home wouldn't be an issue. He'd think of it as "fun". Have you talked to her about it? Perhaps try it and see.

They're definitely not "fun" for her, lol. We're already doing it, and she is having trouble managing her time. On the one hand, she is a terrible time manager and is still learning how much time she needs to put into studying for a class, even if she has finished what is assigned. On the other hand, since not all of her classes are actually college level (i.e., would transfer to a 4-year institution), such as the college algebra, should I still apply the "2 hours of work outside class for every hour of class time per week" rule of thumb? I think I need a benchmark in my head for what is "reasonable," so that I know what to require of her and what to let go.

To me there are several issues here.

1) For those who say that 12 hours is a full college load: it is for federal guidelines (financial aid, etc.), but it is not a full academic load from the POV of finishing a degree in four years. Traditionally, a student must take at least 15 hours/semester to complete 120 hours in 8 long semesters. Most degrees are more than 120 hours, usually between 125-135.

2) if you consider her work from the POV of what she is accomplishing, for some courses, such as Spanish, she will be covering the material in a high school course in one semester. Not so much for English Comp (based on our experience). I would weight how much work is required for each course, and then try to have her gauge the overall picture accordingly.

*Composition & Rhetoric I (freshman comp--honors section) I would consider this like a rigorous high school course. Check syllabus to confirm.

*Intro Chem (a one-semester chemistry course that is comparable to a high school chem course, but done in one semester) Twice the speed compared to HS

*College Algebra (the first semester of pre-calc; 2nd semester is trig) Just a regular HS math year.

*Spanish II (online, college level) Twice the speed.

So far, I would count that as the equivalent of 6+ high school courses.

She is doing history at home ala WTM (3rd year in the 4-year rotation). rigorous High school history, depending on how you assign it 1+ ? = 6+ plus 1+ = 8 courses?

I've also added in Art History using the Barron's AP book and Gardner's Art Through the Ages, because she has no other fine arts credits. I'd save that for spring, when Chem finishes.

I'd also take into consideration that she is learning to manage time, adjusting to "not nearly as much guidance" on the part of the profs, etc. At most, I'd do the college courses plus WTM history, and maybe even the history lightly.

That's my advice. It is worth what you paid for it. : )

Edited by Valerie(TX)

*Composition & Rhetoric I (freshman comp--honors section) I would consider this like a rigorous high school course. Check syllabus to confirm.

*Intro Chem (a one-semester chemistry course that is comparable to a high school chem course, but done in one semester) Twice the speed compared to HS

*College Algebra (the first semester of pre-calc; 2nd semester is trig) Just a regular HS math year.

*Spanish II (online, college level) Twice the speed.

So far, I would count that as the equivalent of 6+ high school courses.

She is doing history at home ala WTM (3rd year in the 4-year rotation). rigorous High school history, depending on how you assign it 1+ ? = 6+ plus 1+ = 8 courses?

I've also added in Art History using the Barron's AP book and Gardner's Art Through the Ages, because she has no other fine arts credits. I'd save that for spring, when Chem finishes.

I'd also take into consideration that she is learning to manage time, adjusting to "not nearly as much guidance" on the part of the profs, etc. At most, I'd do the college courses plus WTM history, and maybe even the history lightly.

That's my advice. It is worth what you paid for it. : )

Thanks Valerie. Yes, this is pretty much how my mind has been running. I've decided to drop the art history, and go pretty light on the WTM history, maybe giving her only one credit in that for this year and next combined.