Menu

Mental health professionals--how would I get help with an eating disorder?

I guess I don't even know how to frame the question.

I am a binge eater, and I'm totally out of control. My physical health is declining, but my mental state is even worse. I am almost (but not quite) beyond the ability to function at all normally.

I think I need help. This is not a "go on a diet" issue.

I don't think of myself as an unhappy person, but obviously I have a problem.

Where do I go from here? :001_unsure:

:grouphug:

here, you can google our city name and "eating disorder" and get a list of pschologists/psychiatrists whohave experience with these. Maybe that would work for where you live?

I sort of think that eating disorders are more about control than being unhappy necessarily. Best Wishes!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:I'm really sorry you're going through this, Julie. I really think counseling to help you figure out what the problem is, and then healing from it, is THE step you need, and eating in a healthy manner will naturally follow. I'm sure your eating issues are rooted in pain.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I applaud you for figuring this out now. I still am haunted by many things where my father is concerned, and his out of control eating to fill a void is only one of them. I hate that he died without ever finding peace. I hope and pray that you find your answers. You CAN do this!

:grouphug: Good resources have been listed in above posts. You need a licensed therapist who specializes in eating disorders. You may have an underlying mood disorder in addition to your eating issues. (depression or anxiety) A good therapist can evaluate you regarding a need for a referral to a medical doctor/psychiatrist for medications. Don't be afraid to call several therapists and ask questions to evaluate their appropriateness for your particular issues. I wish you well on your journey to physical and emotional health.

Don't be afraid to call several therapists and ask questions to evaluate their appropriateness for your particular issues.

Umm...I have no clue what questions to ask.

I am a rather conservative Christian--do I need to worry about finding someone who will be...respectful of that, or is that unlikely to be an issue?

I am a rather conservative Christian--do I need to worry about finding someone who will be...respectful of that, or is that unlikely to be an issue?

I don't think that will be an issue. When you call to make an appointment, mention that you are a Christian and would like a counselor who can respect your faith. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

:grouphug:

Since that is important to you, I would state it upfront, perhaps asking if the person can support/work with someone who is a conservative Christian. This is different from asking if a therapist is a conservative Christian her/himself. If it is important to you that a therapist share your spiritual views, at least in a broad sense, then you need to clarify this with the therapist.

Other questions to ask would be:

How long have you practiced?

What is your license?

Do you have a practice specialty?

What theoretical approach in practice do you use? (Take notes and you can google or come here for clarification later.)

How much work have you done with people who have eating disorders?

In my opinion, your comfort level with a therapist trumps some of the other issues/questions. Research studies show that about 40% of gains in therapy are due to extratherapeutic factors (strengths you already possess), 30% of gains are due to the therapeutic relationship itself (trust, empathy, support received) and specific techniques/placebo affect are each 15% of the gains.

Since that is important to you, I would state it upfront, perhaps asking if the person can support/work with someone who is a conservative Christian. This is different from asking if a therapist is a conservative Christian her/himself. If it is important to you that a therapist share your spiritual views, at least in a broad sense, then you need to clarify this with the therapist.

Other questions to ask would be:

How long have you practiced?

What is your license?

Do you have a practice specialty?

What theoretical approach in practice do you use? (Take notes and you can google or come here for clarification later.)

How much work have you done with people who have eating disorders?

In my opinion, your comfort level with a therapist trumps some of the other issues/questions. Research studies show that about 40% of gains in therapy are due to extratherapeutic factors (strengths you already possess), 30% of gains are due to the therapeutic relationship itself (trust, empathy, support received) and specific techniques/placebo affect are each 15% of the gains.

I think the bolded are the most important. You need to know if the therapist has had much experience in the area you need (there are MANY RAD therapists in my area, but most don't TRULY know anything at all about treating a RAD child) and COMFORT is extremely important. If you can't be comfortable enough to open up 100%, it's just going to be a waste of time. BTDT.