Menu

Reading programs other than CLE?

chpiper

I'll be interested to see what others have to say...

From what I can tell, there really isn't anything else out there like CLE's reading program for the younger grades. I really like how CLE does literary analysis, comprehension, poetry analysis, etc., but I really don't love the stories and neither do my girls. We used it for part of the year last year, and I had reservations, but I bought it for this year. After a couple of weeks, we decided to drop it for good. :glare:

So, now I am also looking for something different to do for writing. I think we're going to switch to reading classic novels and discussing them. It seems like I'll be leaving a lot of holes compared to what CLE was covering, but I haven't found a good alternative. :001_huh:

I tried CLE Reading 100 last year for first grade. Besides the reading level difference (DS was reading around a 4th grade level at the time), the workbook seemed like a lot of busywork and annoying schwa stuff. The stories really weren't that great either, compared to what we could be reading. So... I dropped it and just had him read good chapter books (like Charlotte's Web). We're both much happier, and his reading ability has grown by leaps and bounds.

When we get to 4th or 5th grade, we'll throw in some literary analysis, probably in the manner described in WTM. For second grade, I don't feel a need to do that. We discuss genres when that comes up, and I'll sometimes ask an oral thinking question, but no worksheets and no formality. I just want him to enjoy reading at this stage, and he is. His nose is often found in a book. :D

I would be doing some literary analysis with your older one, but there are various resources for doing that with real books.

My dds are loving CLE math and LA, but not enjoying the reading so much...any other suggestions? ODD is 10 but reads on an 8th grade reading level...and YDD is 7 and reading on a 2nd grade level...

CLE is making their view of reading negative...

We really enjoyed MOSDOS.. We've used Ruby but have not started Coral yet. Dd liked it enough to continue with it and I felt like she learned a lot. We had a lot of interesting and thought provoking conversations about what she read.